Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heavenlyblade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Hey everyone, My friend gave me an ipod the other day (Yay!). Here's the story: His grandmother spilled water while watering plants and unintentionally set his ipod in the puddle -overnight. He thought it was dead because it wouldn't boot. I brought it home, plugged it in and it worked perfectly as long as it was plugged in. As soon as it was unplugged, it would die. Black screen and no waking it up. Now my question is: Has this battery waved it's last good bye, or is it a short somewhere on the board?

After booting into Diagnostic Mode, I looked up Battery information. (Diag Ver: 5 1.0d203)

Power>BatteryA2D> Voltage: 4050mV

This Ipod has no more warranty as far as I'm aware, and I doubt Apple would cover water damage anyway. All insights are appreciated, even if they are declaring how big of a noob I am.

heavenlyblade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Update: After charging the ipod for the past 3 hours, the battery is full. I have restarted it and it is still fully charged, however it will not run unplugged.

Montserrat

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2004
UK
If it is still functional, perhaps you could try one of the commercial battery replacement services - might lose a few dollars, but might gain an iPod. Certainly sounds like a battery problem.

Alternatively try to get hold of a kit and do it yourself and have a look for any corrosion anywhere else

Best I can think of!

heavenlyblade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
Anyone know how to open one up? I'm going to go ask a local phone shop if they can do it, the owner seems pretty good.

JediExterm

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
Almost the exact same thing happened to me, except I have an 80gb Ipod Classic that was wet for a day or two. I've tried plenty of things all over the internet to get it to work, and I got it to work and charge once, but after I had run down the charge, I tried to charge it again to no avail. Now I am stuck with the same exact problem as you.
What I want to know, is if that battery replacement worked? If so please let me know, so that I can get mine fixed :)
Thanks.

heavenlyblade

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
My dad is going to have a friend repair it. sorry for not being able to help. Personally i think there is just a circuit that is coroded.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.