Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robertnzana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2009
I am an ASP.NET/HTML/CSS/MySql (maybe soon PHP) developer. I am also NEW to the Mac world.

What is the best web development/design tool on the mac?

I've come across Dreamweaver CS4, Expresso and Code so far. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Every knows its Dreamweaver, if your new though CS4 will be a challenge for you to learn, and it also depends which codes you use mainly, but for ASP and PHP dreamwaver is great because it easily colour differentiates them for you in the code.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
I've never been a fan of Dreamweaver myself, and there isn't a lot of people here who use it. I use BBEdit to hand code everything (TextWrangler is a free version of BBEdit). Then I test locally using MAMP as my environment.

In the end you need to use an app that fits your methods the best. Take a look through the stickies in this forum and just start trying out apps. Most should have a free trial period so no risks there.

NoNameBrand

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2005
Halifax, Canada
Every knows its Dreamweaver, if your new though CS4 will be a challenge for you to learn, and it also depends which codes you use mainly, but for ASP and PHP dreamwaver is great because it easily colour differentiates them for you in the code.

:eek:

Syntax highlighting isn't uncommon.

I use Coda myself, which I quite like, but haven't tried Espresso. 85% of my time is spent in Vim running on assorted Mac and Linux boxes.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Right now I've been using Smultron and Cyberduck for my editing/FTP combo, and Fireworks for images. I'd love to use Espresso, but right now it doesn't work right for my sites (having permissions problems when writing files, and won't connect to one of my servers).

jW

memco

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2008
I'd say Textmate, BBEdit and maybe Coda should be your prospects. Espresso doesn't do ASP highlighting (or didn't last time I checked). Textmate is my current IDE, it is incredibly powerful and easy to use. You can add new bundles to give nice features like SVN and FTP integration, tab triggers for your specific language, and much more. I'd recommend BBEdit if you do a lot of Regex, their implementation works better than TM (it gives you a progress bar and doesn't eat up as much CPU power. DW is good, it does all of this-it's just way more expensive.

sbauer

macrumors member
Feb 7, 2009
Baltimore, MD
As a .NET developer, I'm going to say TextMate for everything but ASP.NET.

For ASP.NET, Visual Studio (Pro or the Express Editions) through VMWare Fusion.

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland

Unfortunately Dreamweaver is not an effective coding program from my experience with it.

To the OP try TacoHTMLEdit or my new love Espresso combined with CSSEdit and cyberduck for css editing and file uploads it is the best i have found for working with PHP to date. For your ASP stuff i strongly encourage you to learn PHP or Ruby if you are working on the mac platform and if you need to code ASP and ASP.net use a VM or boot camp with the tools you are familiar with.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I originally came from the world of PC, but there are some very nice application out there for macs.

I am currently using:
- Dreamweaver
- Coda
- Espresso
- Textwrangler
- Rapidweaver

seventeen

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2009
Denton, Tx
I use Coda every day and I love it. The integrated FTP is incredible. less windows floating around my desktop. I dont care for Coda's CSS editor as it isnt smart enough for shorthand and tends to make my css files larger than I would like, I also prefer to hand-code everything rather than use an app like dreamweaver. I use Sequel Pro for MySQL management and MAMP for my development environment. Best thing since sliced bread.

dopey220

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
I absolutely love Coda, but as a student I just can't come up with $100 for a license right now; I'm currently using Espresso since it came with the most recent MacHeist bundle. It's very similar to Coda, but just *slightly* inferior in just about every way. Good enough for now, though.

cutcopypaste

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
I originally came from the world of PC, but there are some very nice application out there for macs.

I am currently using:
- Dreamweaver
- Coda
- Espresso
- Textwrangler
- Rapidweaver

curious what you do in each of those progs since many of them cover the same ground.. I'm still searching for the right balance myself.. most of the programs have little quirks that I dislike

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
I use Espresso and that's it. I use to use Coda but I find the the themes in Espresso make coding far more interesting (I hate coding against a white bright background, kills the eyes after awhile).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.