Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mudmanmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
Hello everyone,

Somebody may have noticed this before but I just discovered it. I live in the Philippines and I am in Texas visiting family. I am white American by the way. I was curious and decided to take my phone off airplane mode; to my surprise it is roaming on the T-mobile network. And it is working I have sent a few texts to friends in the Philippines. I use Globe Telecom (my phone is locked down to Globe) I guess T-mobile must be a roaming partner with Globe.

So there you go everyone. Instead of all the trouble with unlocking your Iphone; all you have to do is fly the the Philippines buy an Iphone there then bring it back here.

By the way I dont know what the roaming fees are yet. HAHAHAHA!

Mike

arubinst

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2008
Lausanne - Switzerland
You really don't have a clue, do you? A locked (or unlocked) phone will roam whenever you go out of your home network (in this case, your Philippines carrier), provided that they have agreements with the host network.

Roaming charges are usually VERY expensive so you better stop sending those messages and do not even attempt to make a call or use data.

You might want to get some information next time before you go on a trip.

Just a question out of curiosity. How is this relevant?

I am white American by the way

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
And my 100% locked to AT&T iPhone worked on Vodafone in the UK and Germany! Imagine that!

Joking aside, a locked iPhone will work fine on other networks when you are roaming with your original carrier's SIM in, that's why you're on T-Mobile. If you put in a T-Mobile SIM card (or even AT&T for that matter), your phone would not work at all.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
And what the heck does your skin color have to do with this thread/conversation. I don't think any of us care about your ethnicity.

Are you kidding? Everyone knows only white Americans can afford the iPhone. What with our great economy and all. (full disclosure - I'm not white, and frankly, you all look the same to me)

mudmanmike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2008
thanks for the replies,

I thought about deleting the part about me being a white American before I posted it. After living in another country (and being a curiosity) for so long I am used to filling that information in. Try to see it from my perspective.

I didn't mean to say "My unlocked phone" in the title. That is confusing. The phone is locked. The difference I think is that my phone actually says "T-Mobile" where it should say "Globe" (or AT&T for US Iphones). I dont think that a roaming AT&T Iphone would display the T-Mobile like that. Maybe I am wrong. I had two Iphones before I left the US and I dont remember seeing that.

Sorry about sounding like a..... biggot? I am just excited to be back in The States.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.