Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LewisNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Hi everyone,

Hoping you can offer some advice about the best way to give our MacBook White to my mother-in-law, who is absolutely brand-new to computers in general.

What I'd like to do is make it exceptionally simple for her to plug in the machine, turn it on, and be presented with 3 or 4 big options:

- Email
- iChat
- Open a web browser

A million years ago, I remember that we had something called At Ease installed in the Macs in school, that effectively limited us to a few pre-defined choices, and hid the standard Finder.

Is something such as the above do-able? I'm willing to purchase reasonably-priced software to accomplish this, if needed.

Thank you very much in advance,
Lewis

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
Make the Dock icons really big and only put Mail, iChat, and Firefox in it. Make the Desktop a photograph of her daughter.
Further, create a new user account and enable parental controls on it. Check "use simple Finder". Restrict the applications she can use to Mail, iChat, and Safari.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
There are ways to use parental controls to make the finder "simple" and prevent access/running of certain apps. You could always go that route.

You could make the dock fairly large, but you can also make desktop icons large too. As I'm sure you know, they scale really well, so they don't look all crappy when you make them bigger.

LewisNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Make the Dock icons really big and only put Mail, iChat, and Firefox in it. Make the Desktop a photograph of her daughter.

That is a really good idea. Thank you.

Would it be possible to have another icon literally open Mail and address an email to us, so all she would have to do is type the body and press send?

This is her first computer, and it might actually be the first computer she's ever used at all.

Thanks again,
Lewis

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Yeah, definitely beaten to the punch on the parental controls :)

Just thought of another, my in-laws asked me to do the same for their younger children, and I found that restricting the internet to certain sites worked well, but also had limitations. I ended up making a quick link page for their most recently used (and allowed) websites.

I'm sure you wont be restricting the web for your mother-in-law, BUT if you know a little html, or are comfortable with iWeb, you could make a "Start" html homepage for Safari/Firefox that has quicklinks to CNN news, Stock info, NYTimes, etc. Stuff she'd be interested in. It would be a little less intimidating to have 4 links to choose from than a Google search bar.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
Make sure you give her a decent external mouse, because ive noticed thats the major issue people who have never used a computer have.

CrzyCanuck72

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
That is a really good idea. Thank you.

Would it be possible to have another icon literally open Mail and address an email to us, so all she would have to do is type the body and press send?
Create a new workflow in Automator, where the only action is "new mail message". Put in the address you want the message to be sent to, save it as an application on the desktop. Maybe give it a nice icon. When she double-clicks the icon, it will open a new mail message already addressed to whatever address you put in.

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
and make sure she dosen't have your cell phone/e-mail address or else expect a lot of future phone calls.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

Create a new workflow in Automator, where the only action is "new mail message". Put in the address you want the message to be sent to, save it as an application on the desktop. Maybe give it a nice icon. When she double-clicks the icon, it will open a new mail message already addressed to whatever address you put in.

You could do this or put your emails in address book files. In a new mail message, click the "addresses" button and then double click the group you put your email addresses/contacts.

The automator way is more "all-in-one" though. You can also have that in the dock, I think.

LewisNYC

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2009
Thanks for everyone's quick feedback - these are all really helpful. I never would have thought of the mouse thing or the automator script, or the basic HTML home page. Maybe I will be really fancy and create a domain for it. :)

Thanks again,
Lewis

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
To make an email link, you just have to type "mailto:lewisnyc@gmail.com" (replace your username with whatever your email happens to be) into the Safari address bar, then drag the globe icon immediately to the left of the text onto the desktop. Rename link to taste.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.