Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Apr 28, 2004, 06:06 PM   #1
bennetsaysargh
macrumors 68020
 
bennetsaysargh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York
Send a message via AIM to bennetsaysargh
477 more people sued by our best friend...

that's right, on the one year anniversary of itunes, i guess they decided to celebrate.

link
bennetsaysargh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 06:27 PM   #2
Calvinatir
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: LA
yea, I ran a direct connect Hub on my campus and it was up for 2 years until 3 students went to the Dean and told him about it...totally weak...
Calvinatir is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040
 
Macmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
And to make sure this illegal file sharing is stopped the RIAA announced today that all Legal File purchasing sites will now charge $2 per song, a little thank you from your buddies at the RIAA
__________________
The customer is NOT always right
Macmaniac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 06:53 PM   #4
Dippo
macrumors 65816
 
Dippo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macmaniac
And to make sure this illegal file sharing is stopped the RIAA announced today that all Legal File purchasing sites will now charge $2 per song, a little thank you from your buddies at the RIAA

YEA!!!

I always wanted to pay more for less!
You know we have problems when a gallon of gas cost less than a song.
__________________
FAVS - Super Monkey Ball Labyrinth
Dippo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 06:57 PM   #5
aldo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: England, UK
Personally I think the way the RIAA goes about thier 'business' is truly disguisting.

I personally download a fair bit of music - this will change once we have iTunes Europe though. iTunes is going to really change my download habits. Hopefully they will keep the price sensible for us UK customers.

While I don't like those that make a business out of selling pirated music, I think p2p has been the best thing to music for quite some time. Hopefully it will make indie artists more popular and get rid of the domination of the big 5 record companies.
aldo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:45 PM   #6
idkew
macrumors 68020
 
idkew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
Send a message via AIM to idkew
i love the riaa.

they should get a nobel prize for being a friend to all.
idkew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:05 PM   #7
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000
 
musicpyrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Cod
I've heard the RIAA is charging $2 for every song you downlaod, the way iTunes is starting to look (with up to $2.50 per song) it looks like it's almost cheaper to download music illegaly.
__________________
For SCIENCE!!
musicpyrite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:10 PM   #8
Dippo
macrumors 65816
 
Dippo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicpyrite
I've heard the RIAA is charging $2 for every song you downlaod, the way iTunes is starting to look (with up to $2.50 per song) it looks like it's almost cheaper to download music illegaly.
Assuming a $3000 settlement, then you would have to download 1,200 songs per lawsuit to break even. You would need to download 3,030 songs if you want them at 99 cents, and 12,000 songs if you want them at 25 cents.

At those rates, the RIAA could just stop making music and turn into a law firm.
__________________
FAVS - Super Monkey Ball Labyrinth
Dippo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:19 PM   #9
OutThere
macrumors 603
 
OutThere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: NYC
I used to download music, but then my hard drive crashed and I lost all my music. Afterwards it was different, and now I only split music with my close friends (CDs that they buy, I rip, and I let them rip CDs I buy, if they want to). If the music couldn't be taken off the CD I'm sure that my close friends would let me borrow the CD to listen to anyway, it's only a matter of having it available when you want it. I don't like Kazaa or Limewire, and I feel really guilty if I ever use some downloading program like that. It feels like the music is greasy or something. Just my opinion. I love the iTMS, and the feel of taking a newly bought CD out of it's case and popping in the car's player. Joy.
__________________
puisqu'on est jeune et con, puisqu'ils sont vieux et fous. . .
OutThere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 11:32 PM   #10
MrMacMan
macrumors 601
 
MrMacMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: 1 Block away from NYC.
Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
*sigh*

Lets Drain money from customers!

Yay!



Dippo -- they are a law firm.

Its just crazy, they can sue you for a trillion dollars for downloading like 30 songs or some nonsense.
__________________
There is a little Steve in all of us!
-->Folding is Fighting Against Disease and help MacRumors. Join Today!<--
Props to --> Shadowfax For Making My Avatar!
IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:22 AM   #11
stoid
macrumors 68040
 
stoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Do the execs of the RIAA realize that they are *******s? Or do they go home after work thinking, "Yeah, I think our company is a good wholesome company."

BASTARDS! (Warning, link may contain profanity)
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 07:16 AM   #12
tom.96
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: UK (southern)
I actually wrote an essay on this for a Uni degree. Its very interesting - many bands actually like having their music distributed through P2P systems as it spreads the word about them. Many bands also care more about music than money.

I concluded in the essay that the problem would not go away until there was a viable alternative. I reckon iTunes is that alternative, and I will enjoy using it when it comes to Europe.

As for me, well I am an old fashioned record collector and I love vinyl! So I just stick to my old records for now - I don't download any music. I don't even have broadband!
tom.96 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 09:45 AM   #13
question fear
macrumors 68020
 
question fear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: The "Garden" state
Send a message via AIM to question fear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.96
I actually wrote an essay on this for a Uni degree. Its very interesting - many bands actually like having their music distributed through P2P systems as it spreads the word about them. Many bands also care more about music than money.

I concluded in the essay that the problem would not go away until there was a viable alternative. I reckon iTunes is that alternative, and I will enjoy using it when it comes to Europe.

As for me, well I am an old fashioned record collector and I love vinyl! So I just stick to my old records for now - I don't download any music. I don't even have broadband!

sounds like a really interesting essay.

go vinyl! i love my records, i go through phases where i only buy new music on vinyl, its just so wonderful...

Its interesting though, because even when I downloaded music off of kazaa back in my college days, i tried not to download stuff that was widely available on cd (at least not from my favorite bands). I think its all about how you perceive people as well as how $$$ this stuff is getting. i.e. my favorite band sees being an indie band as their job; they go on tour, make records, etc because they love it, but its what they do to support their families and lives. And because their dedication to that is clear in their songs, their websites, and on their tours, I would think twice before downloading a cd of theirs on p2p. Granted, they are the exception....but it leads me to another point. Do you think the movie ads with the stuntmen and stuff work, or do you think its just calling attention to a phenomenon further? When I first saw one of those ads, I figured it would be fairly effective to some degree, but in the theater where I saw Kill Bill 2 half the crowd booed the MPAA ad.
__________________
Give blood. Play rugby.
question fear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:02 AM   #14
stoid
macrumors 68040
 
stoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: So long, and thanks for all the fish!
It seems like if it is "common knowledge" that artists are getting basically nil from CD sales because of the RIAA, then they really don't take too big of a hit when you illegally download their song. It's just the RIAA that gets hit in the profit. Have you noticed that there are no artists outraged over pirated music? Eminem hasn't done a song about it yet, so obviously he's not too concerned about file traders. I don't see online music tracks having an impact on file traders, and I don't see it having an effect on physical CD sales. I think that the idea of downloading music online is it's own entity that will live or die on the whim of the RIAA's pricing tier. The RIAA is the only corporation I view as inherently more evil than Microsoft. MS just makes crappy products, the RIAA is the most two-faced lie POS I've ever heard of. I hate the RIAA so much that if I were to see an exec, I would spit in his/her face without a second thought.
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:35 AM   #15
leftbanke7
macrumors 6502a
 
leftbanke7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: West Valley City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoid
It seems like if it is "common knowledge" that artists are getting basically nil from CD sales because of the RIAA, then they really don't take too big of a hit when you illegally download their song. It's just the RIAA that gets hit in the profit. Have you noticed that there are no artists outraged over pirated music? Eminem hasn't done a song about it yet, so obviously he's not too concerned about file traders. I don't see online music tracks having an impact on file traders, and I don't see it having an effect on physical CD sales. I think that the idea of downloading music online is it's own entity that will live or die on the whim of the RIAA's pricing tier. The RIAA is the only corporation I view as inherently more evil than Microsoft. MS just makes crappy products, the RIAA is the most two-faced lie POS I've ever heard of. I hate the RIAA so much that if I were to see an exec, I would spit in his/her face without a second thought.
Have you forgotten about Metallica? And just because an artist hasn't been vocal about it doesn't necessarily mean that they aren't outraged by it.

However, I am pretty much sure that the RIAA is just looking after their own rear ends and trying to tell John Q. Public that their actions are solely intended for the artists. The whole RIAA/P2P issue reminds me a lot of the BCS/Non-BCS college football issue. The BCS tries to tell us that they are looking out for the best interests of the traditions of college football and the "student-athletes" but they are much more interested in lining their own pockets. If schools like Utah, Boise State and North Texas and their conferences suddenly became powerhouses and schools like Miami, Ohio St. and USC had a sudden decline, the BCS would switch around fast as can be.

Capitalism has its positive side, however it also has it negative side and it seems that a good portion of the negative is hovering around the entertainment industry as a whole.
__________________
"I'm apathetic and I don't care."
leftbanke7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:38 AM   #16
themadchemist
macrumors 68030
 
themadchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chi Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinatir
yea, I ran a direct connect Hub on my campus and it was up for 2 years until 3 students went to the Dean and told him about it...totally weak...
That sucks. I don't know why people can't keep out of others' business...I mean, jeez, it's downloading! I know it's sketchy, but it's not some moral travesty worth report. Heck, it's not even that much a negative economic effect for the RIAA.

One thing I don't understand is why the RIAA ignores evidence that downloading does not negatively affect music sales and continues to waste its money, time, and resources prosecuting downloaders. If it really wants to scapegoat, that's fine, but it's costing the RIAA a lot of money. You'd think it would want to find the real reason record sales are low and do what it can to fix it.

My argument, though, is that the economy is still not great and record sales are one of the first things to go. If you're worried about putting food on the table, then you're probably not going to go out there and buy the latest musical stylings of Britney Spears. That's just a hunch. All these comparisons of record sales to 1998 levels or 2000 levels are just bogus. The RIAA acts as if the only variable there is downloading. I would call a national downturn in the economy a pretty big variable simply to ignore.

Stupidity...You gotta love it.
__________________
Sometimes, things get worse before they get better. Sometimes, they get better before they get worse. Almost never do they stay the same.
themadchemist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:55 AM   #17
stoid
macrumors 68040
 
stoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadchemist
My argument, though, is that the economy is still not great and record sales are one of the first things to go. If you're worried about putting food on the table, then you're probably not going to go out there and buy the latest musical stylings of Britney Spears. That's just a hunch. All these comparisons of record sales to 1998 levels or 2000 levels are just bogus. The RIAA acts as if the only variable there is downloading. I would call a national downturn in the economy a pretty big variable simply to ignore.

Stupidity...You gotta love it.
But you can't sue the economy
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:58 AM   #18
themadchemist
macrumors 68030
 
themadchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chi Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoid
But you can't sue the economy
Fair enough. But at what cost is the RIAA going after 12 year olds? Getting two thousand bucks from some toddler isn't paying the fees for these corporate attorneys.

I'm not questioning that the RIAA is on some sort of symbolic crusade. What I am questioning is the economic justification for it. This endeavor doesn't seem to make sense for the RIAA itself!
__________________
Sometimes, things get worse before they get better. Sometimes, they get better before they get worse. Almost never do they stay the same.
themadchemist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:09 PM   #19
Sincere
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Wonderland
Get educated, use the power of your $

For all who are disgusted by the RIAA's fear-mongering tactics (that few musicians truly support), check out the great site http://www.downhillbattle.org/ and check out the RIAA radar (http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/) to check your purchases before you buy them. Every RIAA-member's CD that you buy tells them that you support their lawsuits as each label belonging to the RIAA pays serious dues to be a member of such a horrible organization. Support independant musicians and labels that don't believe in strong-arming the public, artists, and industry collusion. Your purchases make a difference...

--Sincere
__________________
• 2.4Ghz Intel iMac/4GB • 1GHz G4 Powerbook/2GB • G4 iMac 800/51 • G3 Powerbook Pismo 400/512 •
• 8TB HDs, recording studio, endless audio •
Sincere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:17 PM   #20
stoid
macrumors 68040
 
stoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: So long, and thanks for all the fish!
Browsing that downhillbattle.org site I ran across this.

This guy seems to be certainly of the highest caliber of intelligence
stoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:23 PM   #21
themadchemist
macrumors 68030
 
themadchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chi Town
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincere
For all who are disgusted by the RIAA's fear-mongering tactics (that few musicians truly support), check out the great site http://www.downhillbattle.org/ and check out the RIAA radar (http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/) to check your purchases before you buy them. Every RIAA-member's CD that you buy tells them that you support their lawsuits as each label belonging to the RIAA pays serious dues to be a member of such a horrible organization. Support independant musicians and labels that don't believe in strong-arming the public, artists, and industry collusion. Your purchases make a difference...

--Sincere
If I were to buys CDs (which I rarely do), I would buy the CDs on the basis of my preference for the musician, not out of some sort of political statement. I hate the RIAA as much as the next guy, but I like some of the music of its sold-our-souls-to-the-devil artists. Sure, if I liked an independent artist, then I'd buy the music, but if I didn't, I wouldn't throw my hard-earned cash in that direction just to say "F U RIAA!"

But as I said, I'm not going to buy CDs anyway.
__________________
Sometimes, things get worse before they get better. Sometimes, they get better before they get worse. Almost never do they stay the same.
themadchemist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 01:17 PM   #22
BrianKonarsMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
hey guess what...you could always just ignore the RIAA summons to court. Brian Konar? he doesn't live here anymore :P.

seriously though...i've just decided i'll download songs from now on. Screw iTMS or anyone who cooperates with RIAA. If I have the choice of paying for the loss of freedom with my purchase...or share my collection for free? hmm...it's such a hard choice! (note: sarcasm). I need to geto ut of this country.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 01:24 PM   #23
BrianKonarsMac
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by themadchemist
Fair enough. But at what cost is the RIAA going after 12 year olds? Getting two thousand bucks from some toddler isn't paying the fees for these corporate attorneys.

I'm not questioning that the RIAA is on some sort of symbolic crusade. What I am questioning is the economic justification for it. This endeavor doesn't seem to make sense for the RIAA itself!
if you didn't know, music labels are disgustingly rich...they can cauterize their wounds with cash (similar to the U.S. government, we're losing the war in Iraq? throw cash on it!) they may be losing tons of money per lawsuit, but the mental impact it has on your average computer user is easily worth it. A motivated P2P'r could D/L $500 worth of music in a few hours. Get a couple hundred thousand of them going, and that's big bucks moving around. Now if you could get 50% of them to stop by scaring them with lawsuits, you've saved yourself millions (theoretically) even though u spent several hundred thousand. Unfortunately I don't see their cash well drying up anytime soon.
BrianKonarsMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 01:50 PM   #24
musicpyrite
macrumors 68000
 
musicpyrite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Cod
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoid
I hate the RIAA so much that if I were to see an exec, I would spit in his/her face without a second thought.
*sob*

It's just so......beautiful

I hat the RIAA, and so does everybody else (mostly) I know.
__________________
For SCIENCE!!
musicpyrite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 05:22 PM   #25
Sparky's
macrumors 6502a
 
Sparky's's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Anyone out there remember when a record album was $2.00. I started my collection in the mid '60s and now have over 500 LPs, 300 CDs and no telling how many tapes. It really fries my a** to think that you can buy CDs today for about ’.10 apiece, and the the cost of the song???= $19.95 for a CD? Why do these artists think they have to have so much money from you and me when I can't see any increase in my wages there's are going through the roof. As far as I'm concerned all this piracy is just the tip of the iceberg in bringing them down to our level.
__________________
God had a brain fart…and we are it! - me

24"iMac, Adobe CS4, 1T LaCie backup drive
Sparky's is offline   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are people in the iPhone 5 contract cycle luckier than people in the 4 S? Myiphone7 iPhone 18 Jul 8, 2014 09:16 AM
Why does it automatically "follow" people when you friend request them? TH55 iPhone 18 Nov 19, 2013 06:04 PM
So many people with late 2013 problems. Are there people that don't have issues? phaselocked MacBook Pro 148 Nov 7, 2013 04:05 PM
I don't know people suggestion in Facebook "Find Friend" ! Jingol iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Nov 22, 2012 02:26 PM
How is it some people send me a group message with 130 people in it? BigB82 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Aug 16, 2012 01:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC