Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Well big news came out today and Sony nabed up the publishing rights for Ghostbusters and it will now be a exclusive for a few months for ps3 and the Wii DS and 360 should get it late 2009

http://n4g.com/News-323446.aspx

Good going for sony another exclusive even only timed will help them this year :)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Isn't it fully exclusive to Sony systems in Europe though? I thought I read that somewhere.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Seems a bit weird and pointless considering they only managed to secure exclusivity in Europe.

All Sony Europe is doing is limiting your choices, and possibly delaying it three days (provided Atari was planning a simultaneous NA and UK release).

"A new deal between Atari and Sony Europe by which the latter will publish Ghostbusters in the PAL territories means the title will be exclusive to PlayStation platforms in Europe, Atari clarified today.

The deal won't affect the game's North American release, however. Atari will publish the title as planned on Xbox 360, Wii, PlayStation 3, PS2, PC and DS on June 16th stateside.

Sony will publish the game on June 19th in Europe -- on PlayStation 3 and PS2 only. According to Atari's announcement, the PSP version of Ghostbusters planned for Autumn 2009 will release worldwide."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=23503

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Everyone yelled at MS when they did this, I hope we'll see the same for Sony.:rolleyes:

idk, seems like a waste, unless Sony offfered big bucks for it, since Atari will lose so many sales in PAL zone now

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Not that it's surprising, but just a few years ago Sony's executive Jack Tretton made a big stink about Microsoft including declaring Sony didn't pay for exclusivity.

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for the lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/sonys-jack-tretton-we-dont-buy-exclusivity/

I guess he was speaking for SCEA, not SCEE.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Not that it's surprising, but just a few years ago Sony's executive Jack Tretton made a big stink about Microsoft including declaring Sony didn't pay for exclusivity.

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for the lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform."

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/03/sonys-jack-tretton-we-dont-buy-exclusivity/

I guess he was speaking for SCEA, not SCEE.

He speaks for SCE, as in SCEA, SCEJ, SCEE. Where did it say they bought exclusivity in PAL regions, or are you just going by what a trash site like kraptaku says?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Isn't it fully exclusive to Sony systems in Europe though? I thought I read that somewhere.

No.... Timed only.

Atari will still be releasing the other versions September / October time.

Everyone yelled at MS when they did this, I hope we'll see the same for Sony.:rolleyes:

idk, seems like a waste, unless Sony offfered big bucks for it, since Atari will lose so many sales in PAL zone now

Well I don't think Atari will be too badly affected. Lets face it if you had a PC or Xbox, are you A) going to rush out buy a PS3 to play the game in June or B) wait a couple of months and play it then ?

I have suspicions this is going to be a 7/10 game tops anyway.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
You guys are crazy, this game will be awesome...not because of the game...because it will be bundled with the ghostbusters movie on bluray;):D

Day one purchase for me if they do include the movie.

Well I don't think Atari will be too badly affected. Lets face it if you had a PC or Xbox, are you A) going to rush out buy a PS3 to play the game in June or B) wait a couple of months and play it then ?

Thats all too familiar this generation isn't it but now the shoe is on the other feet.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Day one purchase for me if they do include the movie.

Yeah if... the movie is bundled I'll buy the PS3 version, I've seen it advertised for €35

If not - I'll buy the movie on Blu-ray anyway for €15 and wait for the 'highly likely superior' (since most MultiFormat games are) 360 version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.