Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
This has been bugging me for some time, and because I've found nothing on the web related to this, I wanted to ask here.

The picture quality of iTunes movie rentals is really crappy. More specifically, movies are very pixellated/blocky. Not every movie, but the majority it seems. Its as if the images are stretched...but they aren't (this is visible both in normal size and fullscreen mode). This is most noticeable on movie texts/vector images (i.e. credits/logos), but also on normal video to a lesser extent (if you look closely). Has anyone else noticed this?

If the movies weren't 1.2-1.6 GB in size, this wouldn't be an issue, but because they are, and because rentals cost as much as a DVD rental at blockbuster, this is just not acceptable. This isn't a rant about price so much as frustration about the quality :(

Edit: This has something to do with smoothing not being turned on in iTunes. After logging out and back in, and viewing the movie in iTunes again, smoothing is back on and it looks great. I'm not sure how to explain this, but obviously something to do with picture processing in OSX/iTunes is messing up randomly :/

Example screenshot (actual movie size):
picture1lkm.png

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
What is your monitor resolution? That plays a big part of it. If the resolution on your monitor is vary large and the resolution on the movie is half that size, the movie will look grainy. I've never had a problem with the movies I've purchased on iTunes, I have just over 100 so far. I've purchased all the same moves in iTunes that I had on DVD and the quality is probably so close to the DVD cope that I couldn't tell the difference. The Warriors and Easy Rider were a few of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.