Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Just had to vent...

Sorry iPod Touch. I tried to love you. I tried using you as a replacement for my 5 year old Palm Pilot for 6 months now.

After missing yet another alarm I've decided to upgrade back to my ancient Palm for PIM needs. There's only so much you can take of poor alarm management, hopeless methods of entering appointments, non existent notes and no ability to mark individual records as private. :(

Case in point. Try to create a meeting from 3-4 PM (with an alarm)

On iPod touch:
- click [+]
- click [start]
- select time
- click [end]
- select time
- click [save]
- click [title]
- Start typing.
- click [save]
- click [alert]
- choose 5 minutes
- click [save]
- click [done]
Finished. 9 clicks + text entry.

on Palm.
- click on 3pm.
- start typing.
Finished. 1 click + text entry. The alarm will automatically default based on your saved global preferences.

If only Apple would treat the PIM functionality as something better than a red haired step child.. *fingers crossed for a great update this summer*

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
how did you miss an alarm? Does your iPod not vibrate when the alarm goes off?

Nope. No vibrate on the iPod Touch. No snooze button. No way to dismiss only a single alarm if you have 2-3 pop up at a time. No re-alert if you missed it the first time.

The only way the alarms are effective is if you happen to be listening to music at the same time as the alarm goes off.

Don't get me wrong... I'm still keeping the iPod for all the fun stuff. It does an amazing job at web browsing, games, email, music and videos. I just gave up completely on trying to use it as a PDA.

DHarrisDBS34

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah that's not something at the forefront with the iPod Touch. If Apple made a consious effort ot make it a PDA I'll bet they could do it. I use it for one since my needs aren't very complex.

ckd

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
If only Apple would treat the PIM functionality as something better than a red haired step child.. *fingers crossed for a great update this summer*

Same here. I love my iPod touch, but the Calendar app is terrible. You forgot to mention that if you switch out of the app before you hit save, the fully-entered event magically disappears forever....

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I'm sooooo saddened by this thread.

I had hoped to be able to replace my Treo with a cheap phone and an iPt late in the year. Guess the $50 i spent on my insurance replacement phone was a good thing for now.

But i appreciate the honestly and you coming back to post it!

I'll keep reading & watching & waiting - hoping my Video iPod holds on a bit longer.

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Same here. I love my iPod touch, but the Calendar app is terrible. You forgot to mention that if you switch out of the app before you hit save, the fully-entered event magically disappears forever....

What? Wow. I just tried it and you're right :eek:

TheMSK

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Balls

Well I wish you had written this before I spent £260 on an itouch. All I want is a shceduele that:
-does colour apointments,
-indicates appointments that recur and
-indicate if there is a note against the appointment.
Seems like i'll be going back to my palm soon.

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
write to
apple.com/feedback

Done!

Mentioned:
  • How inefficient it is to create a meeting
  • Inability to snooze an alarm.
  • Inability to dismiss only one alarm if multiple pop up at once
  • Inability to set a repeating appointment for the 2nd Wednesday of each month
  • Problem with adding a calendar event, quiting out half way through to do something else and then come back in to find it was deleted (as pointed out by CDK's message above)
  • Inability to turn your game volume off (but leave alarm volume on)
  • Difficulty in recovering from a missed audible alarm

No idea if the feedback will help, but gave it a try at least. *fingers crossed*

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Nope. No vibrate on the iPod Touch. No snooze button. No way to dismiss only a single alarm if you have 2-3 pop up at a time. No re-alert if you missed it the first time.

The only way the alarms are effective is if you happen to be listening to music at the same time as the alarm goes off.

Don't get me wrong... I'm still keeping the iPod for all the fun stuff. It does an amazing job at web browsing, games, email, music and videos. I just gave up completely on trying to use it as a PDA.

I agree 110% with your assessment! I ended up demoting my iPhone to an iPod touch-ish device and I'm using a WM phone for the PIM capabilities.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Since when was the iPod touch a PDA? While I agree that the calender does need some so work it is just a iPod, cant you use a cell phone? I use the calender and alarm on my G1 instead of my iPod Touch.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I should point that the iPod touch is a just a glorified iPod with a touchscreen; the calendar and other crap are just "bonuses"; Apple just cares about selling apps and music.

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Since when was the iPod touch a PDA? While I agree that the calender does need some so work it is just a iPod, cant you use a cell phone? I use the calender and alarm on my G1 instead of my iPod Touch.

Since when? Since Apple decided to includes email, a calendar, alarms, notes, and contacts. That pretty much is the definition of a PDA.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Isn't there a better calendar app on the app store somewhere?

Not one that can use the native alarm system, or set alarms for tasks. Apple locked developers out of all calendar access. And a 3rd party app can't run in the background, so it cant trigger an alarm.

However, come June I am sure we'll see Apple using an insane amount of server power so your to-do list can ping Apple so Apple can ping you to pick up milk on your way home from work.

TJRiver

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2009
Does anyone still make a free-standing PDA anymore? When so-called smart phones took off, manufacturers dropped PDAs like a hot rock. I still have a Dell Axim sitting in it's charger on my desk....

The touch has never been marketed as a PDA. The calendar is one of many functions....

Hey, anyone wanna buy that Axim????:rolleyes:

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Does anyone still make a free-standing PDA anymore?

Nope, nobody really sells a true PDA any more. iPod touch is about as close as you can get these days without having a cell phone bill attached.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I understand your frustration, but to play devil's advocate: I just don't think you can ask an iphone or ipod touch to do email like a blackberry, game like a DS, organize like a PDA, take pictures like a point-and-shoot nikon, surf the internet like a netbook, and guide you like a Garmin. Oh, and be an ipod.

Don't get me wrong - apple bills it as being able to do email, play games, organize, take pics, surf, navigate, listen to music, and more (you can take out a couple of those on an iPT, but you see my point) - and so it does. But I don't see how anyone could make a single fit-in-your-pocket device that replicates the functionality of a half-dozen well designed and relatively expensive stand-alone devices.

Now, in the case of your calander complaints, the fixes are probably not as hard as I'm making them out to be, and I bet the iPT could in fact become a true PDA replacement. That's a great goal and something that Apple should strive for. But TJRiver is right: the iPT has never been touted as a PDA replacement. For now, the iphone and iPT are jacks of all trades, masters of a few - and that ain't bad.

lakeuk

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2008
Well I wish you had written this before I spent £260 on an itouch. All I want is a shceduele that:
-does colour apointments

You can colour code in the calender if you link it to google calender and setup multiple calenders, ie personal, work, holidays etc....

What is strange is that you can do custom alerts and dates from google calender that the ipod calender correctly picks up but you can't do a custom from the ipod.

I think if you use it with google calender then it's a good calender

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

The truth is, just about anyone that hears a user say, "I am looking for a replacement for my PDA, what should I get?" suggests to them the iPod Touch.

Most owners of the iPT or iPhone claim it's Apple's Tablet PC or PDA or netbook simply because it does what THEY need it to do.

So yes, it's been deemed Apple's Newton 3.0 and/or PDA by the masses that use it as such and don't have a problem.

I understand your frustration, but to play devil's advocate: I just don't think you can ask an iphone or ipod touch to do email like a blackberry, game like a DS, organize like a PDA, take pictures like a point-and-shoot nikon, surf the internet like a netbook, and guide you like a Garmin. Oh, and be an ipod.

Don't get me wrong - apple bills it as being able to do email, play games, organize, take pics, surf, navigate, listen to music, and more (you can take out a couple of those on an iPT, but you see my point) - and so it does. But I don't see how anyone could make a single fit-in-your-pocket device that replicates the functionality of a half-dozen well designed and relatively expensive stand-alone devices.

Now, in the case of your calander complaints, the fixes are probably not as hard as I'm making them out to be, and I bet the iPT could in fact become a true PDA replacement. That's a great goal and something that Apple should strive for. But TJRiver is right: the iPT has never been touted as a PDA replacement. For now, the iphone and iPT are jacks of all trades, masters of a few - and that ain't bad.

This is a great post, and reminds me of the time before the iPhone and iPT. Geeks were looking for a device that did great PDA functions, great web functions, great cell phone functions, and great entertainment functions. No matter which way we went we could get TWO of those in a device... maybe two and a half, but never all four.

What Apple has done with the iPhone is make a device that can actually do all four decently with a friendly UI and easy to customize/change/organize/configure system (iTunes).

Now, since these devices do so much, things will fall through the cracks like the devices of yore. My TX was great at being a PDA, suck as a music/video player, and has a sucky browser. With the iPhone and iPT users will find it's great at one thing and not so great at another.

Personally, I think the iPT makes a great PDA, it works too much like the Palm TX and is great at doing everything it did and didn't do. The only caveats I have are the lack of any kind of physical (external) keyboard to punch out documents and the screen size.

The only device that I can see coming close to doing all four things well is the HTC Touch Pro 2, but that device's biggest downfall will be "the friendly UI and easy to customize/change/organize/configure system (iTunes)" bit.

statik13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Personally, I think the iPT makes a great PDA, it works too much like the Palm TX and is great at doing everything it did and didn't do. The only caveats I have are the lack of any kind of physical (external) keyboard to punch out documents and the screen size.

I'm curious. What about the iPod Touch makes you consider it a great PDA replacement?

I would call it a great music & video player in a nice sized device. I'd also say it has a great web browser, a pretty good email client, a surprisingly fun game ecosystem and a really helpful iTunes remote. But for PDA use I would rate it somewhere between average and absolutely useless depending on your PDA needs.

Sadly, for my needs, I find it closer to the latter :(

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I'm curious. What about the iPod Touch makes you consider it a great PDA replacement?

I would call it a great music & video player in a nice sized device. I'd also say it has a great web browser, a pretty good email client, a surprisingly fun game ecosystem and a really helpful iTunes remote. But for PDA use I would rate it somewhere between average and absolutely useless depending on your PDA needs.

Sadly, for my needs, I find it closer to the latter :(

Basically that right there is my reason.

Given the success of many PDA and smartphone types that don't do some of the higher end things that PDA and smartphones of yore used to do, I'd say the iPT and iPhone make pretty decent PDA replacements.

Most people know a days think receiving a Word Doc via Bluetooth, editing it, saving a copy for yourself, and BTing it back to another device is "new tech" or that the iPhone's square icons was something unique to Apple. When in fact it's all be done before. The truth is no one did too much of that stuff in the past, and now, many people are just getting used to doing just what you mentioned.

They just use their iPhone to talk to others, surf the web, check email, listen to music, check a rudimentary calendar, and biggest of all, play iFart Mobile. In college I used my TX and micro keyboard as a laptop since I couldn't afford one (after dropping $1000s on a G5). Now, I wouldn't be able to do that at all.

The iPT and many other devices are being made to do those key things, and nothing else. True, the iPT and iPhone aren't even perfect rudimentary PDAs but they get what they can done for all that they do..... if you know what I mean.

As for the iPod Touch specifically, (excuse the verbose rant above), it's the WiFi, web browsing, entertainment, and access to mail and basic calendar. True it doesn't have great text entry like my TX or any other Palm, but it works. And lastly, paired with Google Mail or Mobile Me, you get over the air syncing and updates.

Other than that, like others have said, it's an over the top iPod with a delicate screen.

SORRY.... i could have made this post shorter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.