Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 16, 2004
do anyone find that the ipod update keeps appearing in the software update and wont go away - i have downloaded it and it is still there. also it is saying that it is version 3, when i thought that the new software is v2.2 but then when i try to update to v3 it says i have v2.2 and am upto date!

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
That's pretty bizarre. Minimally, you could check the 'ignore update' box to make it go away.

I'd like to add my own iPod update problem to the thread:

I updated iTunes, my iPod and Quicktime. It all (seemingly) worked well after the reboot. Then I took my iPod out and when I came back and put it back in its Dock, the Finder crashes. I was forced to reboot. I couldn't reboot with the iPod connected, the boot sequence stalled at 'Waiting for local disks...' and after disconnecting it, my machine boots fine, but my iPod won't mount anymore, even after resetting the iPod. :mad: :mad: :mad:

I've been pretty disgusted with the connectivity of the iPod on my system. It really screws up the entire firewire bus and any other device that I have on it. With every new update I hope that Apple will make it better, and every time it gets worse. This time around, I only have my iPod plugged into firewire...I shouldn't have to troubleshoot THAT! :mad:

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
crazytom said:
I've been pretty disgusted with the connectivity of the iPod on my system. It really screws up the entire firewire bus and any other device that I have on it. With every new update I hope that Apple will make it better, and every time it gets worse. This time around, I only have my iPod plugged into firewire...I shouldn't have to troubleshoot THAT! :mad:

What version of OS X are you running? I haven't had any problems with my 3G iPod or iTunes and my Powerbook - I started at 10.2.8 and now am running 10.3.3.

Also, what other Firewire devices do you have connected?

k2fish

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Hillsboro, Kansas
iPod 2.2/iTunes 4.5 update Problems

Hi,
I DL'ed the above updates yesterday and now when I try to update my iPod it crashes and freezes iTunes. Sometimes I get 4 songs updated and one time it updated 143 songs before crashing.
I can't even force quit iTunes. The mouse freezes in the corner and I have to hold the the power button on my iMac to restart the iMac.
Several people on the Apple Discussions page at Apple.com are having the same problem but no answers yet. Way to go Apple, another outstanding update.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I experienced an equally strange problem after I updated my iPod software, iTunes, and QuickTime. After restarting the Mac, I plugged in my iPod. As soon as I did that, iTunes launched, and caused the whole Mac OS to beachball and not respond to my input. I had to do a hard restart; everything's been fine since, including my iPod.

crazytom

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
IL
PFM

My iPod and such started working again by PFM (Pure Freaking Magic). I didn't do anything special. I just tried it 'one more time'. I know that it's a FW issue, but it's really tough and time consuming to troubleshoot. I've found that, more often than not, once the FW bus gets screwed up, it'll come back on it's own after sitting for a while.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
russed said:
do anyone find that the ipod update keeps appearing in the software update and wont go away - i have downloaded it and it is still there. also it is saying that it is version 3, when i thought that the new software is v2.2 but then when i try to update to v3 it says i have v2.2 and am upto date!

The iPod version is 2.2, but the whole updater is called 3. You are up to date. Sorry it keeps on appearing though, although my iPod now doesn't work. At all. Hope the version info helps though.
–Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.