Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SundayCyclist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
18 months ago I purchased a mac book pro 17". Since then I have had four hard drive failures, two keyboard failures and the catch failed as well. The fourth hard drive failure occurred this morning within three days of the last repair. Is this an inherent problem with the MACBOOK PRO? Should Apple replace the machine? Would welcome any advice?

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
That's nuts. Were the hard drives OEM? And do you know what caused the keyboard to fail? I've not heard of anything like this.

John89

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2008
Scotland
18 months ago I purchased a mac book pro 17". Since then I have had four hard drive failures, two keyboard failures and the catch failed as well. The fourth hard drive failure occurred this morning within three days of the last repair. Is this an inherent problem with the MACBOOK PRO? Should Apple replace the machine? Would welcome any advice?

:eek: Thats frikkin ridiculous!! I would demand a new machine!

SundayCyclist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Sorry not up on technical details - what's OEM - the keys just detached - first time it was the E key which is the one that gets all the use but the second time it was the tab key and the F key - I am a journo so I use my mac a lot but that's why I bought the PRO

designgeek

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2009
"Town"
Sorry not up on technical details - what's OEM - the keys just detached - first time it was the E key which is the one that gets all the use but the second time it was the tab key and the F key - I am a journo so I use my mac a lot but that's why I bought the PRO

Original Equipment Manufacturer=OEM. I was just wondering if you had upgraded the Hard drives or left the originals in. There's a conflict with some after market drives that have drop sensors built in. They conflict with the one built in to the laptop causing failure.

SundayCyclist

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2009
Yes all of the new hard drives have been fitted by Apple or an apple approved repair centre

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
... I use my mac a lot but that's why I bought the PRO
which doesn't mean jack. you may get some more extra toys and a better screen - doesn't mean all parts are better then other models, in this case the hard drive, keyboard.

you can talk to the manager and show her/him your repair history but getting a new mac ain't going to improve the chances of drive failure. you want nearly bulletproof hdd, go get a SSD drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.