Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old May 9, 2009, 04:07 AM   #1
SundayCyclist
macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro Hard Drive failure

18 months ago I purchased a mac book pro 17". Since then I have had four hard drive failures, two keyboard failures and the catch failed as well. The fourth hard drive failure occurred this morning within three days of the last repair. Is this an inherent problem with the MACBOOK PRO? Should Apple replace the machine? Would welcome any advice?
SundayCyclist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 04:13 AM   #2
designgeek
macrumors 65816

That's nuts. Were the hard drives OEM? And do you know what caused the keyboard to fail? I've not heard of anything like this.
Old May 9, 2009, 04:15 AM   #3
John89
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SundayCyclist View Post
18 months ago I purchased a mac book pro 17". Since then I have had four hard drive failures, two keyboard failures and the catch failed as well. The fourth hard drive failure occurred this morning within three days of the last repair. Is this an inherent problem with the MACBOOK PRO? Should Apple replace the machine? Would welcome any advice?
Thats frikkin ridiculous!! I would demand a new machine!
John89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 04:20 AM   #4
SundayCyclist
macrumors newbie

Sorry not up on technical details - what's OEM - the keys just detached - first time it was the E key which is the one that gets all the use but the second time it was the tab key and the F key - I am a journo so I use my mac a lot but that's why I bought the PRO
Old May 9, 2009, 04:40 AM   #5
designgeek
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Sorry not up on technical details - what's OEM - the keys just detached - first time it was the E key which is the one that gets all the use but the second time it was the tab key and the F key - I am a journo so I use my mac a lot but that's why I bought the PRO
Original Equipment Manufacturer=OEM. I was just wondering if you had upgraded the Hard drives or left the originals in. There's a conflict with some after market drives that have drop sensors built in. They conflict with the one built in to the laptop causing failure.
Old May 9, 2009, 10:11 AM   #6
SundayCyclist
macrumors newbie

Yes all of the new hard drives have been fitted by Apple or an apple approved repair centre
Old May 9, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
acurafan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
... I use my mac a lot but that's why I bought the PRO
which doesn't mean jack. you may get some more extra toys and a better screen - doesn't mean all parts are better then other models, in this case the hard drive, keyboard.

you can talk to the manager and show her/him your repair history but getting a new mac ain't going to improve the chances of drive failure. you want nearly bulletproof hdd, go get a SSD drive.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro