Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Tumbleweed666
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
iTunes annoyance - cannot combine songs into album

I have imported an album from CD but iTunes INSISTS that track one is one album, and tracks 2-4 are another - though it gives both albums the same name. So the "second" album has tracks 2-4 of 4 and the first, 1 of 4. I have done all the usual stuff, selected them all and bulk changed / retyped artist, album name , cover art etc. Anything I might be missing?
Tumbleweed666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Kardashian
Banned
 
Kardashian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Britain.
Make sure they have the exact same album name, and album artist and track artist are the same. And disc number 1 of 1 is all marked etc.
Kardashian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 07:14 AM   #3
Tumbleweed666
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kardashian View Post
Make sure they have the exact same album name, and album artist and track artist are the same. And disc number 1 of 1 is all marked etc.
yep, yep yep yep all identical - all bulk changed at the same time and if I page through individually the only detail that changes is the track name.
Tumbleweed666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 07:46 AM   #4
hanschien
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666 View Post
I have imported an album from CD but iTunes INSISTS that track one is one album, and tracks 2-4 are another - though it gives both albums the same name. So the "second" album has tracks 2-4 of 4 and the first, 1 of 4. I have done all the usual stuff, selected them all and bulk changed / retyped artist, album name , cover art etc. Anything I might be missing?
I have noticed that special characters in the album name caused this in iTunes.
hanschien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2009, 07:58 AM   #5
Tumbleweed666
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanschien View Post
I have noticed that special characters in the album name caused this in iTunes.
Fixed it.
maybe as you say something non visible was there I deleted the album name, replaced it with 'junk' and it went to one album, then retyped the name. Possibly I did cmd-x and v before to re-enter it so that would have copied across any invisible characters in the name.
Tumbleweed666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
Galley
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
This has happened to me a few times. I ended up renaming all tracks to something else, and then going back to the original name.
__________________
24" Aluminum iMac, 64GB iPad 3G, 32 GB white iPhone 3GS
Galley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 02:44 AM   #7
emf0
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Merging iTunes songs into a Single Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666 View Post
I have imported an album from CD but iTunes INSISTS that track one is one album, and tracks 2-4 are another - though it gives both albums the same name. So the "second" album has tracks 2-4 of 4 and the first, 1 of 4. I have done all the usual stuff, selected them all and bulk changed / retyped artist, album name , cover art etc. Anything I might be missing?
I was having this problem too. Bulk-renaming sometimes fixed the problem, but sometimes did not. However, I did find a solution: Select all the songs you want to be in the same album, go to File>>Get Info, click on the "Options" button, check "Part of a compilation," and select its drop-down menu to "Yes." Hope this helps.
emf0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 02:47 AM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by emf0 View Post
I was having this problem too. Bulk-renaming sometimes fixed the problem, but sometimes did not. However, I did find a solution: Select all the songs you want to be in the same album, go to File>>Get Info, click on the "Options" button, check "Part of a compilation," and select its drop-down menu to "Yes." Hope this helps.
Yet another year-old thread revival as the first and only post by a newbie! What's the deal? By the way, you don't need "part of a compilation" checked as long as you have matching data in Album and Album Artist. As long as those tags match exactly, the album will sort together. If they don't match, even checking "Part of a compilation" will not cause them to appear as one album.
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 02:09 PM   #9
jamie297
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
Yet another year-old thread revival as the first and only post by a newbie! What's the deal? By the way, you don't need "part of a compilation" checked as long as you have matching data in Album and Album Artist. As long as those tags match exactly, the album will sort together. If they don't match, even checking "Part of a compilation" will not cause them to appear as one album.
Another newbie here bumping a year-old thread!

Thanks emf0 for the tip, I've tried everything to sort this, tried everything. Ticking 'Part of a compilation' sorted it! Don't think GGJstudios knows what they're talking about!
jamie297 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2011, 03:10 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie297 View Post
Another newbie here bumping a year-old thread!

Thanks emf0 for the tip, I've tried everything to sort this, tried everything. Ticking 'Part of a compilation' sorted it! Don't think GGJstudios knows what they're talking about!
I know exactly what I'm talking about. iTunes uses Album and Album Artist to determine what constitutes an album. It also uses Sort Album and Sort Album Artist to determine how that album is sorted. If you have matching data in those fields for all tracks, the album sorts together, whether you have "Part of a compilation" checked or not. You might take some time to learn your way around the forum and understand your software before you start criticizing others who take the time to answer questions.
GGJstudios is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:30 AM   #11
gunstreetgrrl
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
resolved issue

yeah had same annoyance and can confirm GGJstudios knows what they're talking about - in fact, thank you for the tip.

make sure ALBUM ARTIST and ALBUM are identical - mine was screwy because I had ARTIST matching, but blank field for ALBUM ARTIST.

part of compilation field did nthg for me.
gunstreetgrrl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:03 PM   #12
ghshephard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Need to Consolidate Albums in iCloud with compilation

So - I too have discovered that the "Compilation" option under Get Info will indeed cause iTunes to treat the various tracks as part of the same album, even if they have different artists. (Not sure why this isn't the default - but oh well)

What I need to do now, is figure out how to treat them all as a single Album in iCloud. For example - I have eight "Singers and Songwriters of the Seventies Albums" - about 12-20 tracks per album, 127 Tracks. After "Shift+Clicking" all of the tracks, clicking on "Get Info" and then under Options setting them as "Part of a compilation" iTunes now treats them as only eight albums (used to treat them as 127) - but, on my iPhone, the tracks are all treated as separate albums - it effectively turns "ALBUM VIEW" into "SONG VIEW".

Here is one approach - that I just verified works.
Step 1 - Select your Album in iTunes - go to it in finder (hopefully all in a single folder) - Save it to a safe place on your system (just save the folder somewhere else - you'll be reopening it in a few seconds to import it back in)

Step 2 - Delete (from within iTunes) the album. Make sure you click "Also delete these songs from iCloud"

Step 3 - watch your iPhone - wait for the music to by "Cloud Removed" from it. (Not sure if this is required - but I figured better safe than sorry - the deletion happened _very_ fast in my case - seconds.

Step 4 - Import your Music back into iTunes from the "Saved" folder. Via the CMD+O - Open the Folder that you saved your music in. Opening the folder actually imports the entire thing.

Step 5 - Option 1 - This part I'm not sure of, but what I did is _quickly_ select the tracks, and then Get Info, and then Options, and then "part of a compilation" - Yes. Now - it was _already_ set to Yes, so I'm not sure if (A) it was required I do it a second time, and (B) how much time I had to do it before the cloud syncing took place.

Step 5 - Option 2- I tried a second time with a different Album, (that I had already identified as a compilation before deleting from iTunes/Cloud) - and this time I did NOT select them as a compilation - iTunes somehow already knew they were - not sure if it was because of metainfo in the songs, in the Library, or because I imported them from a single folder - but it did it properly.

Note - any experimentation may need to take place around Step 5 to get it _just_ right.

Step 6 - Wait for 5-10 minutes while iTunes matches/uploads songs from your album, and then it should appear on your iPhone/iPad as a downloadable entitity - as a _single_ album. If you have a high "match" rate, then (in my case) this may only take a minute or so.

Step 7 - Click on "Download Album" - and the music should come down, and be available to you as a single entity.

And that is how to get your Albums compiled into a single entity on both iTunes and the Cloud (and then all the devices you download from)

I have to say i am very, very impressed with iCloud + iTunes so far. Doing everything I could ask it too.
ghshephard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:09 PM   #13
ntrigue
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed666 View Post
Fixed it.
maybe as you say something non visible was there I deleted the album name, replaced it with 'junk' and it went to one album, then retyped the name. Possibly I did cmd-x and v before to re-enter it so that would have copied across any invisible characters in the name.
It was a space after the album name. Happens a lot.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:12 PM   #14
ghshephard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
I know exactly what I'm talking about. iTunes uses Album and Album Artist to determine what constitutes an album. If you have matching data in those fields for all tracks, the album sorts together, whether you have "Part of a compilation" checked or not.
Actually - you are both correct. If you select "part of a compilation" - then iTunes changes the artist to be "Compilation"
ghshephard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:30 PM   #15
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshephard View Post
Actually - you are both correct. If you select "part of a compilation" - then iTunes changes the artist to be "Compilation"
That is absolutely false. iTunes does NOT change the Artist at all, if you select "Part of a complilation". Where do you people come up with this nonsense?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenCap 1.PNG
Views:	65
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	312591

Last edited by GGJstudios; Nov 17, 2011 at 08:35 PM.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:25 PM   #16
ghshephard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Changing the Artist to "Compilation"

The Metainfo Artist isn't changed, but the Artist in the File Structure is - if you notice, when you click on Options/"Part of a Compilation" - it moves the song into the directory structure underneath "Compilations".

So - iTunes groups songs underneath an "Album" if their Album Name and Artist match - but, in an Album where all the artists are different, you end up with a different Album per Artist. So - iTunes solves this by creating a "Compilations" artist directory, and places all the compilation albums underneath that.

It is a pretty good solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-11-17 at 7.20.07 PM.png
Views:	187
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	312594  
ghshephard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:36 PM   #17
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshephard View Post
The Metainfo Artist isn't changed, but the Artist in the File Structure is - if you notice, when you click on Options/"Part of a Compilation" - it moves the song into the directory structure underneath "Compilations".
That's only if you let iTunes manage your music files, and it has no bearing on how things sort within iTunes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshephard View Post
It is a pretty good solution.
No, it isn't. First, you have both the artist name and the song name in the Name field. Not good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshephard View Post
So - iTunes groups songs underneath an "Album" if their Album Name and Artist match - but, in an Album where all the artists are different, you end up with a different Album per Artist.
That's because you don't have the Album Artist field matching for all songs in the album.

You should have the following:
Artist: Dire Straits
Album Artist: Various Artists
Name: Sultans Of Swing
Album: Singers And Songwriters 1978-1979
Disc #: 2
Track #: 2
Then you have "Part of a compilation" checked, because "Singers And Songwriters 1978-1979" is part of the same compilation as "Singers And Songwriters 1970-1971", even though they are different albums.

Last edited by GGJstudios; Nov 17, 2011 at 09:42 PM.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:27 PM   #18
ghshephard
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Combing Songs into an Album

Thanks for clarifying and setting me straight - even after googling this topic for several days, your description is the clearest and most useful I've been able to find on the web - hopefully others will trip across it and find it as useful as I have.

Now that I've got it clear in my head that "Album Artist" + "Album" is what instructs iTunes to treat something as an Album - what is the purpose of "Part of a compilation" - I've tried setting it to "No" and "Yes" - but in neither case does it seem to impact how iTunes treats it. For some reason, clicking this option early on seemed to sort the albums into separate categories (Did it change the Album Artist?) - but I can't get the behavior to repeat. All it seems to do is (as you said) - cause iTunes to move the music into a new folder underneath compilations.

Thanks for your help and insight!
ghshephard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2011, 02:10 PM   #19
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshephard View Post
Now that I've got it clear in my head that "Album Artist" + "Album" is what instructs iTunes to treat something as an Album - what is the purpose of "Part of a compilation" - I've tried setting it to "No" and "Yes" - but in neither case does it seem to impact how iTunes treats it. For some reason, clicking this option early on seemed to sort the albums into separate categories (Did it change the Album Artist?) - but I can't get the behavior to repeat. All it seems to do is (as you said) - cause iTunes to move the music into a new folder underneath compilations.

Thanks for your help and insight!
Clicking "Part of a compilation" will never change any metadata. It's useful when you have a situation like your "Singers And Songwriters" collection. In that collection, you have multiple different album names, which would normally sort as different albums. If you check "Part of a compilation", those albums will stay together, even though the album names differ.

As far as moving the files, that only occurs if you let iTunes manage your music files. Some don't care how the files are organized, but some, like me, have an organization that we don't want iTunes to mess with, so we uncheck both of the following boxes in iTunes > Preferences:
Click image for larger version

Name:	iTunes > Preferences > Advanced > organize & copy checkboxes.PNG
Views:	40
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	312677
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Roughdraft
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Sometimes the above suggestions do not work. The instance I'm encountering is where song data was changed by a trial version of BPM'r. Removing that from the BMP and comments fields didn't seem to help.
Roughdraft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2011, 12:42 PM   #21
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughdraft View Post
Sometimes the above suggestions do not work. The instance I'm encountering is where song data was changed by a trial version of BPM'r. Removing that from the BMP and comments fields didn't seem to help.
What, exactly, is your problem?
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Joshh967
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
That is absolutely false. iTunes does NOT change the Artist at all, if you select "Part of a complilation". Where do you people come up with this nonsense?
Attachment 312591
It worked for me actually...was trying everything to get an album together instead of it looking to albums. Part of Compilation worked for me after trying to rename everything several times.
Joshh967 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 01:27 PM   #23
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshh967 View Post
It worked for me actually...was trying everything to get an album together instead of it looking to albums. Part of Compilation worked for me after trying to rename everything several times.
Checking "Part of a Compilation" does NOT change the Artist tag at all.

To make an album sort together, all tracks must have identical information in the following fields:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Sort Album
  • Sort Album Artist
If you have matching information in those fields, the album will sort together. If it's not, try deleting the album from the iTunes library (keep the files), and then re-add it.
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:12 PM   #24
justinmac
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Another first time n00b poster with a solution

  1. Highlight all tracks that should be on the same album but are not.
  2. Get Info for the selection.
  3. Make sure the Artist and Album are the same for all the selections. Odds are, if they're not showing up as the same album, either the Artist or Album field is blank.
  4. Enter the blank field as it should be reflected.

That should do the trick. At least, it just did for me.
justinmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:16 PM   #25
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmac View Post
That should do the trick. At least, it just did for me.
Did you bother to read the post just before yours? Or the several other times this exact same information was posted in this thread?
GGJstudios is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iTunes Match - No Match for Some Albums? zman98 iOS 5 and earlier 1 Nov 15, 2011 09:11 AM
iTunes sorting - sort first by artist, then by song... possible? toypadlock Mac Applications and Mac App Store 4 Aug 24, 2011 10:43 AM
iTunes question - smart playlist construction - not Lion specific serralves Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Jul 26, 2011 07:18 AM
How to combine songs into one album... macsarethebest Mac Applications and Mac App Store 12 Dec 5, 2009 12:20 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:16 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC