Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 10, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1
werdyo
macrumors newbie

itunes doesn't recognize my music files

my music files are in a folder on an external hard drive. currently, itunes has lost track of the files and won't play the songs. it shows an exclamation point next to all the songs.

i have tried to re-select the proper folder in itunes advanced preferences, but to no avail.

has this happened to anyone else? can anyone help me?

any help is much appreciated.
werdyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
rhett7660
macrumors G3

Make sure you have your external drive plugged and recognized before you fire up iTunes.

Is your iTunes library settings on the external or is it still based on in the default location?

Try this first:

Close down iTunes. Make sure your external is connected and recognized. I would then fire iTunes back up and see if the "!" goes away. Click on a song and see if it plays.

If your iTunes library is on the external, close down iTunes. Then option click open iTunes. Pick your library location. See if this works.
Old May 10, 2009, 11:59 AM   #3
werdyo
macrumors newbie

"If your iTunes library is on the external, close down iTunes. Then option click open iTunes. Pick your library location. See if this works."

I've already tried everything you mentioned except the last thing. But I'm not sure what you mean. I tried option clicking on itunes in the application window and I'm not getting any cool library options. I don't really understand what you're talking about. Pardon my ignorance of the underbelly of my laptop. I want to try it. Can you explain further?

Much appreciated!
werdyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 04:37 PM   #4
rhett7660
macrumors G3

By option clicking do the following:

Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard and then click on the iTunes icon (where ever that is, ie in the applications folder)

Make sure you hold down the "option" key. A dialog box will open up asking you if you want to create a new library or connect to a library you already have. See screen shot.

Pick the choose library option and navigate to where you have your library at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	42
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	170489  

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store