Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old May 11, 2009, 09:59 AM   #1
Snowmann
macrumors newbie

No-Cd Patches for Mac Games !!!!!!

Alright got a question to ask everybody, is there any way to get or make No-Cd patches for Mac Games! There are tones of No-Cd patches for PC Games but none for Mac Games.

If you dont know what a No-Cd patch is then here is the def:

No-Cd Patch- is a patch made for computer games so that it does not require a game's original disk to be in the cd drive to play.

Last edited by Snowmann; May 11, 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Snowmann is offline   0
Old May 11, 2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Plutonius
macrumors 601

Most people that I know just make an image of the cd on their Mac for whatever game they are currently playing.
Plutonius is offline   0
Old May 11, 2009, 03:50 PM   #3
jmnikricket
macrumors member

Unless it is an official patch from the game developer (for example Starcraft/Brood War has been patched so it no longer requires a CD), you have 2 options: creating a disk image of the CD or finding a no-cd crack online. The former, which has been mentioned, is very useful, however it takes up disk space and additionally many games somehow prevent the game from recognizing the disk image as a CD. In other words it doesn't always work. The other option is finding a no-cd crack for the game you want (usually as a torrent). The problem with this option is as you may have noticed, not many exist for mac games. I know I've run across one for Tomb Raider Anniversary, so they are out there. They often also breach the games EULA, are unsupported and therefore can break the game requiring you to reinstall, potentially contain malware, and are generally frowned upon because of the obvious uses for game piracy.

If you're interested in the latter, try searching a torrent search site for the game you're looking for. I have no idea how these cracks are made. They exist but the better choice by far is creating a disk image (assuming you own the disk).
jmnikricket is offline   0
Old May 11, 2009, 04:11 PM   #4
Signal-11
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmnikricket View Post
The other option is finding a no-cd crack for the game you want (usually as a torrent). The problem with this option is as you may have noticed, not many exist for mac games. I know I've run across one for Tomb Raider Anniversary, so they are out there. They often also breach the games EULA, are unsupported and therefore can break the game requiring you to reinstall, potentially contain malware, and are generally frowned upon because of the obvious uses for game piracy.
I disagree that there is any real, credible malware threat for NoCD cracks released by the major warez groups.
Signal-11 is offline   0
Old May 11, 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signal-11 View Post
I disagree that there is any real, credible malware threat for NoCD cracks released by the major warez groups.
I think its highly likely they contain malware, the pirates have to make a living too.
Old May 11, 2009, 05:43 PM   #6
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

No warez talk, please....

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland