Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has published a new service document to authorized Apple repair shops that details the differences between the Early 2009 iMac and the recently released $899 (Mid 2009) 20" Educational iMac.

According to the document, the Early 2009 iMac and Mid 2009 iMacs are very similar. The only differences detailed are that the Mid 2009 iMac does not have Infrared or Bluetooth and has a smaller 160GB Harddrive.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Strange that Apple would feed the rumour mill such bait. Yes, it must be coming, but it seems odd to me that they would be so explicit in mentioning a new release considering they are normally so secretive. That said, if it's an addition to the range (i.e. an education model), then perhaps the news wouldn't really cannibalise any existing sales for people holding out.

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
taking out bluetooth and IR would save pennies, pointless

No it's not, for a dorm room, Bluetooth and IR (for remote control of all their pirated content) are two features that college kids ACTUALLY USE - thus getting them to buy the more expensive model making Apple ~$100+ in profit for <$1 in parts. That's good business.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada
No it's not, for a dorm room, Bluetooth and IR (for remote control of all their pirated content) are two features that college kids ACTUALLY USE - thus getting them to buy the more expensive model making Apple ~$100+ in profit for <$1 in parts. That's good business.

These aren't made for kids in dorm rooms, thats what the student discount on all regular macs is for. These are made for educational institutions to buy for labs, where Bluetooth and IR would be utterly useless.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Dumb

It's ridiculous that Apple keeps on withholding features that are standard on every PC. Such as the 'combo drive' on the entry-level MacBooks. Apple REALLY needs to standardize. If you want 2 optical drives, get a Mac Pro, but don't take away the basics.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It's ridiculous that Apple keeps on withholding features that are standard on every PC. Such as the 'combo drive' on the entry-level MacBooks. Apple REALLY needs to standardize. If you want 2 optical drives, get a Mac Pro, but don't take away the basics.

The entry-level MacBook has a SuperDrive, as does every other Mac (except the MacBook Air of course).

Rocketman

macrumors 603

I wonder if the combo drive actually costs them more than a superdrive due to sales volumes. I suspect it's only purpose is retail price differentiation.

Rocketman

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
These aren't made for kids in dorm rooms, thats what the student discount on all regular macs is for. These are made for educational institutions to buy for labs, where Bluetooth and IR would be utterly useless.

I think that IR or Bluetooth would likely cause problems, with kids goofing off and messing with other people's computers. I doubt it's for cost reasons that they removed them.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
@WildCowboy...you're right, they must have upped it to the SuperDrive recently when they introduced the new aluminum models and dropped the price of the entry-level.

Still, there are Macs still shipping without an Airport Extreme card for Wi-Fi...there are at least half a dozen other features that should be standard (I don't know of any PC that doesn't have a wireless card) which just don't ship standard on Macs. Another example, the lack of Firewire on the MacBook is really an odd move especially when it's the standard for mostly all video recording and is a more stable connection than USB 2 for most external drives. Apple trying to beat you up to an MBP if you want to do video--a friend of mine does video editing on his MB (full HD) and does fine.

esquire360

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
Of all the people who would use IR & front row...

Coollege students I feel would the most. Why remove it from them? oh well my 3¢..

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
@WildCowboy...you're right, they must have upped it to the SuperDrive recently when they introduced the new aluminum models and dropped the price of the entry-level.

Still, there are Macs still shipping without an Airport Extreme card for Wi-Fi...there are at least half a dozen other features that should be standard (I don't know of any PC that doesn't have a wireless card) which just don't ship standard on Macs. Another example, the lack of Firewire on the MacBook is really an odd move especially when it's the standard for mostly all video recording and is a more stable connection than USB 2 for most external drives. Apple trying to beat you up to an MBP if you want to do video--a friend of mine does video editing on his MB (full HD) and does fine.

I'm finding that like jobs said, most newer cameras are USB and as far as a wireless card goes, the only machine that does not include wi fi is the mac pro, and really how many need to have a 50 pound computer wireless?

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
I don't see the education value in legos... And do you think schools are going to be throwing money at blutooth devices like this anyway?

Hell, if they're throwing away money on iMacs... :D

the only machine that does not include wi fi is the mac pro, and really how many need to have a 50 pound computer wireless?

Uh... no need run network cables all over the place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.