Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Seeing as I'm planning to run Windows 7 in Virtualisation mode under VMWare's Fusion, I think I better upgrade my Unibody MacBook Pro to 4GB's.

Looking at Crucial's RAM - I've heard relatively good things, and a few topics here show people suggesting it. However, what is the downside to Crucial's RAM? Any particular reason why it is cheaper?

I'm not the most educated person when it comes to types of RAM.. but is RAM RAM and there isn't really any difference between different brands of DDR3 1066MHz?

And also.. the update for the Unibodies that came out not too long after they were released was meant to fix the issue with 3rd party RAM - was Crucial's RAM affected? I remember reading on Engadget that some folk still had problems even after the firmware update.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=05217C5FA5CA7304

204-pinSODIMMDDR3kit_2.gif

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
I have used crucial ram for the last year in my macbook, never had any problems and still working as they did on day 1. You might be able to find cheaper alternatives but I would say go with someone who people recommend.

taphil

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2007
I've always bought Crucial for my Macs. The last Crucial RAM I bought for the new Mac mini was actually cheaper on NewEgg than other brands.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Well it's £56 for the 4GB kit from Crucial. £64 from Kingston.

I'm happy to pay £50-70, but I have no clue when it comes to brands.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I ran Crucial in an old Macbook. Never had any issues. And I have only heard good things about it. Well worth the money.

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008
I've always bought Crucial for my Macs. The last Crucial RAM I bought for the new Mac mini was actually cheaper on NewEgg than other brands.

yep. about a year back dropped 4GB into an old dell from Crucial, upgraded my MacBook to 4GB the first month i had it. and dropped 2GB in my Mac mini.

No problems at all - great RAM, great prices, and a great warranty.

i don't see how you can go wrong.

kolax

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 20, 2007
Ordered the 4GB kit from Crucial, should be here within 2 days :)

Thanks all.

tecknical

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
I currently run Corsair RAM in my MBP and it's working great. I don't know how much better they are than Crucial, but I got them on sale at NewEgg. $50 off ftw.

J&JPolangin

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2008
Close to a boarder, in Eu
...I've had kingston, crucial, corsair and Samsung RAM in all my computers... crucial is USA made and life warranty... they can have DOA modules but the shipping and service is top notch if there is an issue... even if bought via a 3rd party reseller. (but in the last couple years I've bought direct as the shipping from the reseller made the item cost more).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.