Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Will the new iPhone/OS 3.0 allow the display to be non-yellowish?

By either updating the physical screen or adjusting the color calibration, will the new iPhone/ iPod touch and or the new OS fix the yellow-ish color of the display?

(I realize Apple spinsters have created the idea that this yellow screen was actually an upgrade/esthetic decision that has nothing to do with a lower-quality display--however I know better, and the screen on the second generation of both the iPhone and the iPod touch is inferior to the one on the first generation.)

I have two iPod touches (one is my wife's). Both are second generations. One was made very early in the cycle, being week 9 of the second generation. the display on this iPod touch is far away better than the yellow tinted screen on the later-produced other iPod touch that I have. It is very similar to the screen on the first generation, in fact it is most like a left-over from the first generation that they put into the 2G until they were gone.

I have done side-by-side comparisons of both displays, and I have read every thread on the subject of yellowish screens here at Macrumors, and I am going to cut through all the kool-aid stained rosy glasses spin that I have read--THE SECOND-GEN SCREEN IS YELLOW, AND IS INFERIOR TO THE ORIGINAL.

The original screen is NOT TOO BLUE. It only looks more "blue" when compared to the very yellow current model. No, the overly-yellow screen does not make movies and pictures look more color accurate. Maybe "warmer" but not more accurate. This is a very subjective term, anyway; and warmer is not necessarily better than cooler and in no way is better than color-accurate, being warm or cold.

On my older "blue" display of the very early-run 2G iPod touch shows whites as white (not bluish-white), shows greys as grey (not blue-grey) and blacks are black (not bluish-black). On my newer iPod touch with the newer screen whites are yellowish-white, greys are yellowish-grey, and blacks are not black.

Not to mention that the two screens actually "feel" different to the finger--with the older one feeling more like glass and the newer one feeling more like plastic.

So, will the new phone, or its OS fix the yellow screen?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
Its a color calibration thing. The first iPhone was more blue tinted, but I believe the newer iPhone/iPod Touches are more accurate in their colors with their so-called "yellow" tint.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Its a color calibration thing. The first iPhone was more blue tinted, but I believe the newer iPhone/iPod Touches are more accurate in their colors with their so-called "yellow" tint.

nope, you are drinking the.....

My iPhone 3G looks great, no yellowish.

I dare you to compare it to a first gen. screen--side by side--over a period of time, as I have.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I'm pretty sure it's hardware, not software. But I don't think it's a problem. If you have a really bad yellow tint on your phone, then you should replace it. Yeah, the tint is different on the iPhone 3G but is it really a problem? Just because the tint is different, it doesn't make it inferior or inaccurate. I'm looking at my 3G right now and the screen is still a great display and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Yellowish tint? Yes, but only if you place it next to the first gen. And after comparing the 3G and the 1st gen., it's not a big deal. Really. If it bothers you so much then get a different phone, because it is not a big deal.

And I'm not drinking the Cool-Aid. I'm just not obsessed with little, unimportant things.

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Whilst it is a colour calibration, there were a number of iPhones which I believe were defective.

Why?

Because I owned them.

So, either Apple was running 2 different colour profiles on the 3G and one on the 2G, and you they were letting the profiles on the 3G be selected at random - or there were some defective handsets.

Personally, I prefer the 2G.

But, a correctly-working display on the 3G and the 'new' warmer colour profile isn't bad, provided its not a defective display.

But, OP, we won't know until the phone is released. The iPhone doesn't have selectable colour profiles.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Yellow is better. The blue tint reminds me of PC display calibration. The warm calibration reminds me of a Mac. If you get a brand new Apple Cinema Display, they're calibrated warmer out of the box. It's just the way it is. I like the warmer colors better actually. The iPod touch was way too blue for me and I'm satisfied with the color calibration on my iPhone 3G. It matches almost exactly to my Apple Cinema Display that I calibrated myself using the advanced ColorSync calibration utility.

Anyways... I like my iPhone 3G screen. I just don't like the plastic back.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So, will the new phone, or its OS fix the yellow screen?
Nobody knows what the screens are like in the new phone (so you're going to have to wait on that one and see), and nobody running 3.0 on their iPhone 3G has mentioned anything about the color changing (so I wouldn't hold your breath on that one).

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm sure it has been said before but the 2G color profile was seriously inaccurate. The 3G's profile is slightly more accurate. Were there defective displays? I don't know, people bitch about everything these days when it comes to an iPhone (light leak).

I presume whatever it is many people will be unhappy and return many many iPhones as a result of the change.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Maybe you think the 3G is too yellow because you're used to how the 2G looks. I've only owned the 3G and the color looks fine to me (the white is really white, not yellowish).

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
So, because iPhone v1 had a blue screen, that makes it the default correct color calibration?

Please...

People got accustomed to the blue calibration, for better or worse, and don't like the changes.

more kool-aid, please

it was not blue.

I am looking at the older display and the newer one, side by side, right now. Old one was spot-on, new one is yellow.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Maybe you think the 3G is too yellow because you're used to how the 2G looks. I've only owned the 3G and the color looks fine to me (the white is really white, not yellowish).

it appears the masses have drank the sweet juice...I will not win this debate based on numbers.....

some of you out there know exactly what I am talking about.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
it appears the masses have drank the sweet juice...I will not win this debate based on numbers.....

No, simply some people just have to find something to complain about. The screen looks great to me, I'm not going to try to find something about it to complain about. Maybe your 3G's screen is defective. But I know for sure, in my 3G the white is really white, not yellowish.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Maybe you should shut up about everyone drinking the Kool-Aid just because they disagree with you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 3G's screen and if you're that obsessed with and bothered by a slight, unnoticeable yellow tint then you should seek help.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
No, simply some people just have to find something to complain about. The screen looks great to me, I'm not going to try to find something about it to complain about. Maybe your 3G's screen is defective. But I know for sure, in my 3G the white is really white, not yellowish.

I am not looking to complain, I am looking for color accuracy!

BTW, what is this.... https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/516792/

Maybe you should shut up about everyone drinking the Kool-Aid just because they disagree with you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the 3G's screen and if you're that obsessed with and bothered by a slight, unnoticeable yellow tint then you should seek help.

will you help me?

BTW,

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/518518/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/517938/

diemos

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
I'm sorry but this is the lamest question ever. Not only do we nothing about "new" iphone which is rumored to come out, there is no yellowish screen in 3G.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I'm sorry but this is the lamest question ever. Not only do we nothing about "new" iphone which is rumored to come out, there is no yellowish screen in 3G.

it brought you into this discussion, so it must not have been that lame...

spin-doctors out in force.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
I think the iPhone 3G's screen was a step-down from the previous model. It's not attached to the touch-screen to make replacements easier, but it feels sunken in. The original iPhone's felt closer to where you were touching.

However, I don't have any complaints about the colour calibration, and branding everybody who doesn't share your views as a mindless drone is an effective way to make yourself unpopular quickly.

doug in albq

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
I think the iPhone 3G's screen was a step-down from the previous model. It's not attached to the touch-screen to make replacements easier, but it feels sunken in. The original iPhone's felt closer to where you were touching.

However, I don't have any complaints about the colour calibration, and branding everybody who doesn't share your views as a mindless drone is an effective way to make yourself unpopular quickly.

not looking to win a popularity contest, thanks.

the phone went from $500 to $199, you think they were not going to try and save some money somewhere.

I have witnessed Apple fanboys absolutely lose touch with reality, (and color) on more occasions that I can shake a stick at.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008

Probably your phone. My iPhone's screen isn't sunken in at all.

That's a small amount of people with the problem. And it some cases, it's bad. But every phone has it's defects. The first generation iPhone had it's problems, too. But for the majority of iPhone users, the screen is just fine and honestly, I find the screen to be better looking and feeling that the original iPhone.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
not looking to win a popularity contest, thanks.

the phone went from $500 to $199, you think they were not going to try and save some money somewhere.

I have witnessed Apple fanboys absolutely lose touch with reality, (and color) on more occasions that I can shake a stick at.

The iPhone didn't go from 500$ to 199$, the iPhone got subsidized. The unsubsidized price is still 500$.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I've actually taken my 3G to Apple stores when they first came out, and directly compared it to v1 iPhones. There was no substantial difference between the two models as far as color.

You're really not convincing anyone here that you're the sole soothsayer on the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.