Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

214239-chinese.jpeg

We've been keeping an eye on some reports coming out of Chinese forum Weiphone over the past couple of weeks, and it appears the reports are starting to spread. In early May, a forum poster from the Chinese site posted specs and a screenshot from what is claimed to be the next generation iPhone.

The image above was uploaded and seems to depict a new iPhone model number "MB717LL" with 32GB of Storage. If the original poster's claims are to be believed, the new iPhone will contain the following features:

- 600MHz CPU Speed (up from 400MHz)
- 256MB RAM (up from 128MB)
- Digital Compass and FM
- 3.2 megapixel camera with auto focus
- 32GB size
- No major changes in battery, screen and external casing.

As far as we can tell, the original poster has no track record for accurate information, though the Chinese web/forums have been a common source of early photos of recent Apple releases including the unibody MacBook and MacBook Pro casings.

Article Link: Chinese Forum Poster Claims Next Generation iPhone Details

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
I think thats very possible. This released probably won't have a ton of changes short of software.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Quick question
Why is Network another menu?
Version number - does it check out?
Carrier as AT&T3.5 ?
Does the model number of serial end check out?

Does the current phone work on Chinese carriers? Why wasn't this mentioned? Used on US AT&T then why the 3.5 (3.5G?)

Attachments

• asdf.PNG
    asdf.PNG
    82.8 KB · Views: 230

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
looks like a pretty significant upgrade if true. wonder what it would cost

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
The one thing that I'm hoping they will add, apart from those specs, is an OLED screen.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Sounds like a lame update. I guess no need to upgrade from the 3G then.

3.2MP for a media centric device...really?...in 2009?

The phone supports international languages?

MP doesn't matter as long as the optics are good.

naeD

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2009
Makes sense in a way. Maybe a modest update and a drop to $179? Add in a few new apps from Apple, like the previously rumored iMovie app, and I'd be excited.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Sounds like a nice amount of RAM(heck my aging Mac is only 1.25Gbs)

Still a 3.2MP camera is a little weak, I hope we see improved software usage of the camera. Also no new battery is troubling...again, hope software can make it last longer.

32GB sounds good though!

papaburgundy

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Have to change the case. These tiny cracks I'm getting on the edge of the plastic casing really suck.

jbrandonf

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2008
I was looking forward to hearing about a battery upgrade. An enhanced processor would mean lower battery with the current solution. Dammit Apple!

I'm glad that there wasn't a change to design, I won't have to buy new screen protectors or cases.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hmmm...the Palm Pre uses a 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 CPU.

My biggest complaint with this is only 256mb or ram and the lack of a battery upgrade. However, while it is important to realize that this is double the ram in the current iPhone and that this will cut down on a lot of application crashes, 512mb of ram shouldn't be that expensive to produce. In addition, many of the parts will no doubt sport better power efficiency and will therefore run longer on the same battery. Though seeing as the short battery life was the biggest shortcoming listed on JD Power ans Associate's iPhone award, and now that 3.0 is coming out my its my only remaining gripe with the current iPhone, it would be nice to see a 20% bump in battery capacity to get me through my busy day.

From what I've read online, the newest version of the old bluetooth chipset found in the current iPhone supports FM reception in addition to transmission. So this seems to validate that point to some extent. I hope that this means that we will be able to pair our iPhone's with the FM receiver in our car. Not all of us have bluetooth or new radios that are iPod aux input compatible. Especially college students like me who spend all their extra cash on things like iPhones and women.

Andreios

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
UK
If this rumor is true it would be exactly what I have been waiting for for the iPhone. As much as I love most of the iPhone's features I have wanted it to have a better camera and more storage space and I think this would fit the bill nicely.

Not too bothered about the Digital Compass and FM tuner, the spec bump will be nice to as long as the battery life won't suffer too much.

Now all that needs to happen is for O2 and Apple to reduce the pay as you go price by £50 and I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.