Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:13 AM   #1
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
G4

MacBidouille provides information regarding upcoming PowerMac G4's:

Google Translation:

- Confirmation that there will be no G5 before 2003.
- the new G4 chips proposed in July will be of the 7460.
- According to APPLE, it are a parmis the only ones to manufacture a ASIC really able to exploit to the maximum the modules of GDR for a maximized flow.
arn is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:20 AM   #2
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
Doesn't come as all that big a surprise, I just hope its performance is at least decent enough. I won't be buying a new machine this year, it looks like. I'm thinking I'll be more excited over finding out what new enclosure design they bring out. That's not a good sign, being more interested in the design and not the hardware......
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:20 AM   #3
G4scott
macrumors 68020

Can someone translate this correctly? We don't want this thread to be misunderstood like the G5 thread. And why/how do the French know all of this? Not that I don't like the people of France, but shouldn't we know this stiff first hand in the US?

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?

- According to APPLE, it are a parmis the only ones to manufacture a ASIC really able to exploit to the maximum the modules of GDR for a maximized flow.

I just hope that Apple can do alot with the G4, and that mot can make it better too...
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:24 AM   #4
drastik
macrumors 6502a

Allright, I'm ignorant again, what is this GDR? The information seems scketchy, so I don't know, but they are usually okay credible and the translations from google, while very very cool and very very usefull, don't all make the best since yet.

Good Touch Software - Bespoke iPhone Applications
drastik is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:26 AM   #5
TyleRomeo
macrumors 6502a

yippie, i can't wait for the 7460s

please be 1.4GHZ g4s
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:32 AM   #6
nero007
macrumors regular

You won't be disappointed in the performance of the next line of G4s. From what I've heard they fix almost all of the problems that the original G4 had.
nero007 is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:38 AM   #7
DavPeanut
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DavPeanut
Quote:
Originally posted by nero007
You won't be disappointed in the performance of the next line of G4s. From what I've heard they fix almost all of the problems that the original G4 had.
Thats good
DavPeanut is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:46 AM   #8
rugby
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by nero007
What problems did the G4 have that haven't been ironed out yet?
rugby is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 10:54 AM   #9
ebow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by drastik
Allright, I'm ignorant again, what is this GDR? The information seems scketchy, so I don't know, but they are usually okay credible and the translations from google, while very very cool and very very usefull, don't all make the best since yet.
Could "GDR" be a French acronym for "DDR"? Just checked and no, it's not...

BUT, oops on the translator software: if you look at the original posting in French, you find that the text there is "DDR." Babelfish made the same mistake. Well, there ya go.
ebow is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:04 AM   #10
delta.hex
macrumors newbie

translation

Quote:
Originally posted by G4scott
Can someone translate this correctly? We don't want this thread to be misunderstood like the G5 thread. And why/how do the French know all of this? Not that I don't like the people of France, but shouldn't we know this stiff first hand in the US?

And what the heck is this supposed to mean?

It is written in such a bad french that it can be ambiguous... What it means is:

According to APPLE, they are among the few (only?) ones to manufacture an ASIC that can truly take full advantage of the DDR (the original version actually says DDR) modules for a maximized bandwith.
delta.hex is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:15 AM   #11
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I hope its 1.4 and DDR! That would be huge for Apple, 1.2 is just not fast enough. People would have strong doubts about Apples commitment to the Pro Line if they do 1.2. We can only hope
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:17 AM   #12
pwfletcher
macrumors regular

French

Those damn french ... it is like they have a different word for EVERYTHING!
pwfletcher is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:20 AM   #13
frenchman
macrumors newbie

Arrow

A better translation of the last item (maybe some grammar mistakes but understandable)

According to Apple, they are among the only to manufacture an ASIC really able to take advantage of DDR and maximize the throughput.
frenchman is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 11:26 AM   #14
topicolo
macrumors 68000

Yeah, that's about how I understood it. One thing that does bug me is that if apple has only one supplier of these AISCs, they could be seriously hampered if there is any problem with the supply chain. That could lead to apple not being able to meet demand and a subsequent tumble in their stock price
topicolo is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:09 PM   #15
lazyrighteye
macrumors 65816

Supply trouble??

Now that's plain crazy talk...
lazyrighteye is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:13 PM   #16
Rene
macrumors newbie

I do not think that DDR is translated wrong. DDR is an abbreviation for Deutsche Demokratische Republik, which would translate to... German Democratic Republic...

Why the translation software would think that french people even consider using the original foreign abbreviations remains a mistery though
Rene is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:14 PM   #17
gazelips
macrumors newbie

A possiblity: DDR can stand for Deutsche Demokratische Republik (DDR), which in English means German Democratic Republic (GDR). If the French use DDR for Germany, it would translate to GDR when you go from French to English.

Just my best guess.
gazelips is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:15 PM   #18
billiam0878
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to billiam0878 Send a message via Yahoo to billiam0878

I'm really not a processor buff, can anyone tell me anymore about the 7460? Thanks

Bill
beside the white chickens.
billiam0878 is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:16 PM   #19
dekator
macrumors regular

French

1) There's a good reason for some rumors (like the one about Rayzor) being afloat in Europe rather than in the US. You would say: "Hey, we're closer to the HQ !" And, yeah, that may be exactly the reason why... ;-)
2) pwfletcher : "Those damn french ... it is like they have a different word for EVERYTHING!"

Ehem, that's supposed to be funny? Those damn English speaking have a different word for everything too ! (Perspective).

3) Don't you Americans learn foreign languages (except for English of course;-)) ?
dekator is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:38 PM   #20
mueng
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to mueng
Talking What do you call....

My French professor told us this joke....

What do you call someone who speaks 3 languages....

Trilingual

What do you call someone who speaks 2 languages....

Bilingual

What do you call someone who speaks only 1 language....

French!!!

hahahahah...yeah anyways.
mueng is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 12:54 PM   #21
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Quote:
Originally posted by mueng
My French professor told us this joke....
...which I don't get and should be removed.

Hey, dekator, don't make me swear in Spanish!

The Apollo 7460 G4 chip by Motorola is I think a low power consuming chip and, IMO, has potential to go up to 1200 or 1400MHz.

Can we get back on topic a little? Cool.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:17 PM   #22
Rene
macrumors newbie

Hey King Cobra, you're funny, hahahaha....

Quote:
The Apollo 7460 G4 chip by Motorola is I think a low power consuming chip and, IMO, has potential to go up to 1200 or 1400MHz
IMO any G4 should go up to 2 Ghz, but I don't know for sure if it can and neither do you. If you don't know what chip it is (I think a low power one) how can you estimate what its potential is?!

And about that joke... Great!
Rene is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:24 PM   #23
King Cobra

Send a message via AIM to King Cobra
Quote:
Originally posted by Rene
Hey King Cobra, you're funny, hahahaha....

IMO any G4 should go up to 2 Ghz, but I don't know for sure if it can and neither do you. If you don't know what chip it is (I think a low power one) how can you estimate what its potential is?!
Hey, Rene, you're a newbie. And you're telling me what you think in response to opinions. This is classic!

But, to be more accurate, this is a rumors site. And I thought I read somewhere that the G4 or some version of it can only go to 1.5GHz, maybe a bit faster. I am not too sure, but I thought I heard that somewhere. And I also thought I read that the G5 can only go to 4 or 5GHz.

Rene, if you plan to not respect thoughts and/or personal opinions, remember this statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's.
King Cobra is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:26 PM   #24
OSeXy!
macrumors regular

Question

I thought the 7460 was for laptops/consumer (no L3 cache support). It's meant to be the little brother of the 7470...

"Motorola is priming a cut-down 7470, labelled the 7460, which doesn't support L3 cache."

link: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/24018.html
OSeXy! is offline   0
Old Jun 28, 2002, 01:36 PM   #25
Rene
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by King Cobra

Hey, Rene, you're a newbie. And you're telling me what you think in response to opinions. This is classic!

Rene, if you plan to not respect thoughts and/or personal opinions, remember this statement Alpha posted earlier (something like this):

Opinions are like ashholes. Everyone has one, but you don't have to like somebody else's.
I'm sorry if I offended you, I just had a long day at work...

Still think its funny, though.

Now I will go back into my tiny little newbie's corner and keep my mouth shut.
Rene is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)