Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Screens still flickering on low brightness? Or the half second flickering black randomly?

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Screens still flickering on low brightness? Or the half second flickering black randomly?

I'd sure like to know too. I have the latter problem (black).

The firmware update helped, but didn't eliminate it for me. I was hoping 10.5.7, but it doesn't look like it addressed it. I'm thinking there will be another firmware update - I still feel it's a software issue, not hardware.

(mine was purchased the end of February, week 8 machine)

Thomas Davie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2004
Got my UMBP 17 on April 13. Screen is 9c99. No flickering of any type on the lowest brightness settings on either the 9400 or 9600 gfx cards. 10.5.6 or 10.5.7

My manufacture date is C581B800 whatever that means.

Tom

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Got my UMBP 17 on April 13. Screen is 9c99. No flickering of any type on the lowest brightness settings on either the 9400 or 9600 gfx cards. 10.5.6 or 10.5.7

My manufacture date is C581B800 whatever that means.

Tom

Wow your so lucky!!

Man I'm just afraid to take the plunge. I might after June though after WWDC. Just to make sure there are no "new toys out" by then. So I can choose from all the given options. :D

Hannify

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
It's taken me four 17' unibodies to get here, but I finally have a nearly perfect machine. I sent my machines back for a variety of reasons, and for what it's worth I only encountered the low-brightness flickering on one out of my four computers, and it was the first one I received (it would have been from the first two weeks of production or so).

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
It's taken me four 17' unibodies to get here, but I finally have a nearly perfect machine. I sent my machines back for a variety of reasons, and for what it's worth I only encountered the low-brightness flickering on one out of my four computers, and it was the first one I received (it would have been from the first two weeks of production or so).

I have a question, if you order your 17" mbp from apple.com and if you have any problems do you have to go see a genius?

Or can you just call support to apple and they'll send you a box to to ship back your 17" and receive a replacement?

How does it work? I know if you buy from the apple store you go to the store to see the genius and then do an exchange but is it the same on the phone?

Hannify

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
I have a question, if you order your 17" mbp from apple.com and if you have any problems do you have to go see a genius?

Or can you just call support to apple and they'll send you a box to to ship back your 17" and receive a replacement?

How does it work? I know if you buy from the apple store you go to the store to see the genius and then do an exchange but is it the same on the phone?

You are never obligated to go into the store -you can always call apple care instead. In my experience this is the way to go, as things seem to get done quicker and more painlessly on the phone. Typically they will send you a box and then ship you the replacement once they receive the defective unit. In my case however I had a deal set up where they were shipping me the new machines before I sent out the defective ones back to them. This way I avoided downtime. I had to fight tooth and nail to get this set up however. But there's no harm in trying. Ask about an "advanced replacement," and if you can make a reasonable case with them that the downtime will cost you significantly, you might luck out. Otherwise you'll typically have 7-10 days of downtime, sometimes less depending on circumstances.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
i havent had issues with screen flickering on my uMBP17"
9c99 screen build week first of april got it about a month ago.

went through a few 3-4 i think cant recall ...biut the others had similar issues.

you can get an Advanced RMA fairly easy they just make you put a Creditcard number on file incase you dont ship it back they take money or put the hold on it unless of course you dont return it.

Id usually avoid the store ... theyre much more slower and you have to go through alonger process unless of course AppleCare sends you to the store and sets it up for you which they did once for me but it was just not the best environment to sit down test out the new machine and take my time and all that .

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
i havent had issues with screen flickering on my uMBP17"
9c99 screen build week first of april got it about a month ago.

went through a few 3-4 i think cant recall ...biut the others had similar issues.

you can get an Advanced RMA fairly easy they just make you put a Creditcard number on file incase you dont ship it back they take money or put the hold on it unless of course you dont return it.

Id usually avoid the store ... theyre much more slower and you have to go through alonger process unless of course AppleCare sends you to the store and sets it up for you which they did once for me but it was just not the best environment to sit down test out the new machine and take my time and all that .

Yea I hate going to the store for an exchange. Its just a big hassle.

n0d3

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2006
Got mine earlier this week, I don't think I've seen any flickering.

Build Week - Your Mac was built in week 19 of that year (May).
Production Nr.: - Your Mac was number 278 to be built that week.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008

What problems?

Hannify

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
What problems?

From personal experience:

The first unibody I had experienced low-brightness screen flicker that worsened under heavy cpu load or when bus-powered peripherals were connected. It also had a dead superdrive and a failing hard drive that kept corrupting data.

The second machine had a big magenta horizontal line permanently seared into the display.

The third machine had dust trapped under the glass that I could jiggle around by tapping the sides of the screen.

My current unibody (and the one I'm going to keep) has a two pixels that are faintly stuck on green, but it's only noticeable on an all black background, and even then barely.

so the problems for me were all concentrated on screen quality issues. Rather lame I'd say.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
From personal experience:

The first unibody I had experienced low-brightness screen flicker that worsened under heavy cpu load or when bus-powered peripherals were connected. It also had a dead superdrive and a failing hard drive that kept corrupting data.

The second machine had a big magenta horizontal line permanently seared into the display.

The third machine had dust trapped under the glass that I could jiggle around by tapping the sides of the screen.

My current unibody (and the one I'm going to keep) has a two pixels that are faintly stuck on green, but it's only noticeable on an all black background, and even then barely.

so the problems for me were all concentrated on screen quality issues. Rather lame I'd say.

Thats my worst nightmare. Stuck pixels/dust in the display.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
i think ill wait for the next generation, maybe, hopefully they'll resolve some of these issues.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
My new 17" MBP's screen flickers for upto 30 seconds when initially put onto lowest brightness setting (using the 9600GT), then it disappears.

My production week is apparently week 17.

jgo78

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
My new 17" MBP's screen flickers for upto 30 seconds when initially put onto lowest brightness setting (using the 9600GT), then it disappears.

My production week is apparently week 17.

mine does that for up to 10 minutes when starting with 9400. But if i start cold with the 9600, it doesnt do it.

But, if i use the 9600 and put a cpu intensive load on it i will also get the pulsing on low brightness level. Really strange how everybody's conditions for this issue seems different.

RX64MACBOOKPRO

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2008
does the flickering affect both blossy and matte?

or does it depend on the screen type? 9c99 vs 9c98 vs 9CAC

Has anyone got a perfect glossy 17" mbp with no flickering?

Hannify

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
Thats my worst nightmare. Stuck pixels/dust in the display.

Yeah, mine too. To be fair, the pixel anomalies I have now are actually stuck sub-pixels (green), which are incredibly small. I don't notice them 99 percent of the time.

A word of advice: if you get a unit with display problems you can't live with, don't hesitate to exchange it within your thirty day window. On my previous (non-unibody) macbook pro, I made the mistake of waiting and got stuck with a repair (lcd replacement) instead of an exchange. In my case at least, apple replaced my lcd with a refurbished display that had clearly been rejected by some previous user. It had a cluster of 5-6 dead pixels and lint/dust under the plastic, which was much worse than the original display I was trying to get fixed. Not cool.

Hannify

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2007
does the flickering affect both blossy and matte?

or does it depend on the screen type? 9c99 vs 9c98 vs 9CAC

Has anyone got a perfect glossy 17" mbp with no flickering?

Like I said, I have had three 17" mbp's with no flicker (they were all glossy). The screens had other problems however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.