Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichieCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
I am a registered iPhone developer and have 3.0 Beta 5 installed on my iPhone 3G. Unfortunately my phone has developed a hardware fault with the home button not working so i took into my local Apple Store for a genius to have a look at it.

I was told that because i am running 3.0 beta that they cannot support the phone even though he believed it to have a hardware fault. The problem appears to be because they are unable to downgrade the installed software to 2.2.1 to confirm that it is not a software fault causing the issue.

The genius in the store advised that i should wait for 3.0 final to be released at which point they would be able to do a reinstall of 3.0 to confirm the fault is hardware, at which point they would replace the phone. Problem is my warranty expires fairly soon and might have expired before 3.0 is released!

He also advised that i could contact Apple about this via the developer site .. but i'm unable to find an email address that i can send this query to..

So does this mean that by paying to join the iPhone developer program and installing beta 3.0 on my phone I invalidate my iPhone Warranty?

pugnut

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
I never had any issues

You need to press your case. I live in VA and had to return two phones because of issues, one was bricked and the other was just stuck. These were developers phones, never had anything other then Beta on them. If it is a hardware issue and the phone is not operable the will cover it. Don not attempt to downgrade that will void the developer agreement

I have a developer that had issues with his phone in Atlanta and also had no issues.

I live in Northern VA , use the clarendon and Tysons store.

dmarch

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Big Sky, MT
I had my iphone replaced for a bad home button. The Genius mentioned that they don't support phones with the beta, but he would "help me out". Try another day or store.

RichieCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
anjinhamarota cant find that info about downgrading to 2.2.1 using DFU mode.. do you have a link to it?

Although.. it might be a little difficult to get the phone into DFU mode without using the home button .. (might be possible at it does work occasionally).

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I restored my 3G from 3.0 and returned it for signal issues. It's not incredibly difficult to do the downgrade. You just need to be able to read and follow instructions. The tools are out there.

I'm also in Northern VA and use the Tysons and Fair Oaks locations.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
anjinhamarota cant find that info about downgrading to 2.2.1 using DFU mode.. do you have a link to it?

Although.. it might be a little difficult to get the phone into DFU mode without using the home button .. (might be possible at it does work occasionally).

Here's a link: https://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-670520.html

But yeah, might be difficult with your home button not working properly, I didn't think of that.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Couldn't you call Apple - they could put you through to the right people. Might sort it out that way.

Untaken

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Did the 3.0 software come with a little disclaimer stating that upgrading to the Beta would void your warranty? I didn't think so, therefore they can't legally refuse to help you. Push the issue and if all else fails do what was suggested already and downgrade, it's unlikely they'll check the baseband version.

courtney.bella

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2009
texas
Did the 3.0 software come with a little disclaimer stating that upgrading to the Beta would void your warranty? I didn't think so, therefore they can't legally refuse to help you. Push the issue and if all else fails do what was suggested already and downgrade, it's unlikely they'll check the baseband version.

Actually, yes, it does come with a disclaimer exactly like that. When you agree to join, or whatever, read the whole disclaimer.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I had my 3G replaced while running 3.0b2. The AppleCare rep I spoke with on the phone when I made the Genius Bar appointment knew when I read her my serial that I was running 3.0, but said it wasn't a problem. The staff at the Apple Store knew as well, and didn't hesitate for a second to replace the phone. I don't understand what the problem could be ...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
If it was a 3.0 issues than every iPhone 3G with 3.0 would have a dead home button and that's kind a big bug and Apple wouldn't release even beta software that disabled the only important button on the device. Haha. Keep trying. Try a different Apple Store maybe.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
If it was a 3.0 issues than every iPhone 3G with 3.0 would have a dead home button and that's kind a big bug and Apple wouldn't release even beta software that disabled the only important button on the device. Haha. Keep trying. Try a different Apple Store maybe.

Actually, not every bug affects every phone... That's why, for example, some people had a terrible experience with 2.0 and for some it was great.

But I do agree that apple wouldn't release a beta that affected the home button like that.

Untaken

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Actually, yes, it does come with a disclaimer exactly like that. When you agree to join, or whatever, read the whole disclaimer.

Wrong. The agreement says nothing about voiding your warranty, just that your device will be locked into "test mode" (which is a lie of course).

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Wrong. The agreement says nothing about voiding your warranty, just that your device will be locked into "test mode" (which is a lie of course).

it would make no sense at all to void the warranty just because you're running the beta.

ZbadhabitZ

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2009
Had you been running the beta without being a registered developer, or fried your phone trying to put the beta on when you shouldn't have; that's one thing.

I, too, am a registered developer, running 3.0 beta 5, and have some odd issues with the phone that others don't seem to be. I attributed it to the firmware, but noticed that a fellow developer, same iPhone and firmware, wasn't having any of the same issues.

I've been holding out taking it to the Apple Store, thinking they'd turn me down since I'm running the beta, even though the phone runs so poorly it can't even be used as a test device.

Long story short, I imagine a physical malfunction they will take care of. Keep trying that Apple Store, or try another. I know there IS a number for developers to call, not for technical support, but for other needs. Perhaps you can talk to them.

RichieCat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2008
Problem solved !

I took the phone to another Apple Store as recommended by a few people from here, and they swapped it out for a new one. Mind you i was fairly instant, when i asked if installing 3.0 beta as a registered developer voided my iphone hardware warranty I got the "oh no of course not sir" response .. seemed to do the trick ;-)

Thanks for all the suggestions...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.