Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdude69

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
So I updated to 10.5.7, then that night, I noticed my computer wouldn't go to sleep right. Next day, noticed that my battery was not charging up (yet the computer was plugged in - green light was very dim).

Maybe it's a strange coincidence... with updating to 10.5.7 at the same time

Took it to apple store today and they sent it away, determined it was something internal (logic board ?). I am out of my 1 year warranty, so they estimated it at 325 bucks... fortunately I got it with my AmEx and I can make a claim though them to pay for it.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I haven't seen anyone else say something like this happened to their computer after 10.5.7.

I have had really nothing but problems with this computer.
Last summer I had the screen + battery replaced.

MBP 2.2 ghz (mid 2007) 15 inch

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So I updated to 10.5.7, then that night, I noticed my computer wouldn't go to sleep right. Next day, noticed that my battery was not charging up (yet the computer was plugged in - green light was very dim).

Maybe it's a strange coincidence... with updating to 10.5.7 at the same time

Took it to apple store today and they sent it away, determined it was something internal (logic board ?). I am out of my 1 year warranty, so they estimated it at 325 bucks... fortunately I got it with my AmEx and I can make a claim though them to pay for it.

Anyone else ever have this problem? I haven't seen anyone else say something like this happened to their computer after 10.5.7.

I have had really nothing but problems with this computer.
Last summer I had the screen + battery replaced.

MBP 2.2 ghz (mid 2007) 15 inch

Maybe your battery went down again. Wouldn't surprise me if it's the same issue. On the not sleeping issue I guesstimate that maybe your logic board or sensor also gave and it isn't necessarily 10.5.7's fault, maybe it made those problems come to view before they got worse.

jojo712

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2009
Same Issue

I have got the same problem with just about the same Mac, except 2.16ghz. The day before 10.5.7, it was charging just fine and giving me approximately three hours of use on a three month old battery; today, the battery is completely discharged, and the computer will not work at all unless it is plugged in 100% of the time.

The fact that this would happen in two Macs at the same time is no coincidence, and leads me to believe that this is purely a software issue. If anyone else can confirm or deny this, please let us know, because it looks like there's more than one of us out there.

Jesus

philips

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2004
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
My UMBP17 from signature sleeps fine after update.

P.S. And that was first time I seen such colossal update being downloaded/installed (with all reboots) in under 15 minutes. SSD is f***ing amazing.

macdude69

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
i tried that SMC reset, no effect

i also tried to do the PRAM reset but couldn't get it to work right with the Open Firmware password and then the battery ran completely out

i tried everything else I could think of, nothing work

perhaps, it was something in the 10.5.7 that brought out this problem

i am very worried about this computer because i think it might just be prone to fail. screen, battery, (last year) now logic board all have to be replaced. i just know that after my amex extended warranty runs out, something new is gonna break.

----------

i just called to cancel the work on my laptop (they haven't even sent it out yet) cause I have to file a claim with American Express first (they offer an extended warranty, 1 extra year) --- anyone have any experience with this process???

----------

so at the apple store, the guy tried a new battery and it booted fine but would still not charge it (so its not just the battery)

they also tried my power adapter and it worked to charge another computer (so its not the adapter)
they also tried a new power adapter and it didn't work with my computer

macdude69

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have got the same problem with just about the same Mac, except 2.16ghz. The day before 10.5.7, it was charging just fine and giving me approximately three hours of use on a three month old battery; today, the battery is completely discharged, and the computer will not work at all unless it is plugged in 100% of the time.

The fact that this would happen in two Macs at the same time is no coincidence, and leads me to believe that this is purely a software issue. If anyone else can confirm or deny this, please let us know, because it looks like there's more than one of us out there.

Jesus

well its good to see I'm not the only one here with this problem

but for me, i can't even get it to work on direct power without a battery, you are lucky, at least you can use your computer, i can't

macdude69

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
update on this

they replaced the logic board / some i/o thing / dvd drive / top case
and now it's running great again

it was 325 bucks
which AmEx should pay once they review my claim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.