Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old May 16, 2009, 08:40 AM   #1
William Wallace
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro screen will not turn on

Hi,
My macbookpro (15in 2.2ghz) screen will not turn on but the computer is, the audio buttons, and the back light keyboard work. The screen doesn't turn on. This started after i restarted from windows, during the reboot the screen wouldn't turn on. After leaving the computer for several minutes and taking out the battery it did start up normal just very slowly. It shut down when i accidentally turned of the power strip it was plunged into and now, the screen will not turn on and the computer wont recognize an external display. Does any one know how i can fix this?
thank you
jesse
William Wallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 09:15 AM   #2
ziggyonice
macrumors 68020

Some MacBook Pros were shipped when Nvidia made troublesome graphics cards. If yours is one of them, Apple may repair it free of charge.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377
Old May 16, 2009, 09:20 AM   #3
William Wallace
macrumors newbie

thank you, i hope that is the case.
William Wallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2011, 12:44 PM   #4
WaltCD
macrumors newbie

It happened to me, as well, just last week: I booted up my MacBook Pro one day and no display. Using keyboard controls, I could tell it was on and running, but no display.
I took it to the Apple store that agreed it was the graphics board and offered to fix it, at NO CHARGE to ME, even though I bought the computer three and a half YEARS ago. They told me it would be 3 to 5 days, but they called me back that afternoon (maybe four hours later) and said it was ready.

Oh, and since they can't just change out the graphics card, they change out the whole motherboard (logic board). Even though it's the same speed chips that were in before, same hard drive, all my same info, it seems like the computer is brand-new FAST!

FANtastic customer service!
Walt D in LV
WaltCD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help