Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old May 17, 2009, 07:04 PM   #1
NewbieUS
macrumors newbie

Wireless printer issue

I bought a Canon Pixma MP620, which has wireless networking capability. I have the printer networked to two Macs through a Netgear WGR641 (v4) router. I have been able to get the printer to work wirelessly from the router. However, the printer works only when the Macs are hooked up to the router via ethernet. If the Macs are connected only wirelessly to the router, I cannot print to the (wirelessly connected) printer.

Here's another way to show the layout in case the above is not clear:

Scenario 1: [Printer] wireless to [Router] wired to [2 Macs] = works!
Scenario 2: [Printer] wireless to [Router] wireless to [2 Macs] = fails!

Some additional info:

-- I can ping the printer wirelessly from the Macs only when the Macs are wired to the router; if Macs are wireless to the router, I can't ping the printer.
-- Even when the Macs are wireless to the router, I can ping one Mac to the other (and vice versa).
-- When the Macs are wireless to the router, I get access to the internet.
-- I have my firewall turned off on both Macs.
-- I am using WPA encryption.
-- I do *not* have the router set to accept connections from only specified MAC addresses.

Does anyone have a suggestion for getting this to work so that the Macs can be connected wirelessly to the router and still print to the wireless printer?

Thanks in advance.
NewbieUS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2
macintel4me
macrumors 6502

Dumb question, but are you sure that your two Macs are on the same local network as your printer? Is it possible that you are accessing the internet wirelessly via a neighbors unsecured router? That fact you can't ping your network printer from your Mac on your wireless network gets to the core of the problem.
macintel4me is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2009, 11:10 PM   #3
NewbieUS
macrumors newbie

Wireless printer issue

Hi. Yes, I just confirmed that both Macs are connected wirelessly to the router in my house (and not to a neighbor's router). Thanks for the question.
Old May 18, 2009, 01:50 PM   #4
macintel4me
macrumors 6502

When you connect your Macs to the network wirelessly, how many clients does your router say are connected? If it says 1, then your Macs are not connected. If it says 3 and your still can't ping your printer, then there is something wrong with your router as bizarre as that sounds.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
NewbieUS
macrumors newbie

Wireless printer issue

When I connect my Macs to the network wirelessly, my router tells me I have three devices connected -- the two Macs and the printer.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
Old May 19, 2009, 12:21 AM   #6
macintel4me
macrumors 6502

Are the IP addresses of your printer and Mac off my a lot? Check the subnet mask to make sure the it's like 255.255.255.0 and that your IP's are close. If they are not close, which would be weird but possible with some odd DHCP setup or static IP use, blow open your subnet mask and see if that works. I have to admit that I'm not a network guy, but know enough to be dangerous and I have never seen clients on the same network and on the same router not be able to ping each other.
Old May 19, 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
NewbieUS
macrumors newbie

Wireless printer issue

The Macs and printer have the same IP addresses except for the last digit (.6 and .9 for the Macs and .3 for the printer). The subnet mask is as you indicated (255.255.255.0).
Old May 27, 2009, 10:11 AM   #8
mgamber
macrumors 6502a

I've had problems with this printer too. I have two MacBooks and a MacBook Pro in the house along with a handful of Windows machines. Every single computer....every Windows box, the two Macbooks, a netbook, even my Fuze, can print to the MP620 via wifi *except* the Macbook Pro. It absolutely will have nothing to do with the printer. Won't even see it. I've tried everything I can think of....updated drivers, been thru the FAQ a million times, tried all the crap I dredged up with google....nothing. I don't care about printing anymore, I have a nice HP color laser printer....now it's the challenge.
mgamber is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals