Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
So from the rumor sites, I've gathered that the 4th gen ipod will be announced soon (june? july?) and will be 50gb/color screen/able to store video/$499.

What do you guys think the rest of the lineup will be? If people don't need as much as 50gb and aren't interested in paying a premium to store video, will the mini be the only alternative? The 4th gen seems like some kind of transitional design on the way to becoming a proper PVP.

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
$249 iPod mini (with a 50 price drop once there's excess supply maybe right before christmas)
299 20GB iPod with no dock or remote
399 30GB iPod
499 40GB iPod with color screen and video function

hkriffraff said:
So from the rumor sites, I've gathered that the 4th gen ipod will be announced soon (june? july?) and will be 50gb/color screen/able to store video/$499.

What do you guys think the rest of the lineup will be? If people don't need as much as 50gb and aren't interested in paying a premium to store video, will the mini be the only alternative? The 4th gen seems like some kind of transitional design on the way to becoming a proper PVP.

hkriffraff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 6, 2003
So you're saying this ipod design will only replace the 40gb model and not the rest of the lineup? Out of curiosity, is anyone actually interested in this new design? To me, the ability to store video without actually being able to play it on the device doesn't seem to add much value. As for viewing photos - I can already do this on my phone and on my palm pilot.

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Wrong.

Ain't going to happen.

Interview with Steve Jobs 3 days ago.

Jobs: Music is background activity -- movies are foreground activity -- music is the revolution here.

Jobs: we have to stay focused on the fact that people are buying iPods for music.

Jobs: It's the music stupid...

Keep dreaming.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
The current ones can store video already. Playing it is a different matter.
I would just want more battery life for the time being..

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Instead of coming out w/ a new generation of excessively exproduct, they should concentrate on seriously increasing the battery life on the pods. The 1st step would be... put in a freaking on/off switch. I don't want the instant on crap. That's just stupid.

g30ffr3y

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
buffalo ny
Jedda said:
Wrong.

Ain't going to happen.

Interview with Steve Jobs 3 days ago.

Jobs: Music is background activity -- movies are foreground activity -- music is the revolution here.

Jobs: we have to stay focused on the fact that people are buying iPods for music.

Jobs: It's the music stupid...

Keep dreaming.

where may one read this interview...

i like the "its music stupid" quote... hehehehe...

i dont really think the ipod should get all fancy and full of useless
battery draining features either...

but that could be because i dont want my 40 to be old news just quite yet...

TorbX

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2003
Norway
FuzzyBallz said:
Instead of coming out w/ a new generation of excessively exproduct, they should concentrate on seriously increasing the battery life on the pods. The 1st step would be... put in a freaking on/off switch. I don't want the instant on crap. That's just stupid.

Try holding the play-button for a few seconds...

TorbX said:
Try holding the play-button for a few seconds...
I think what the previous poster was referring too was that the lack of an on off switch means the iPod must be constantly drawing power even when its off so that if is touched it will turn on. This means the battery will die quickly unless you use the hold switch. A dedicated switch would be nice.

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i don't care about video on an ipod personally

what i want is a better screen, bigger and more resolution. to make this possible i would like the regular ipods to have the same design as the mini's, like the scroll wheel button thing. I have an older ipod and have used newer ones, and i don't like the placement of the buttons on the new ones.

also, space is not a concern for me, what they have now is fine, and also color is not a big concern for me

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Mantat said:
What do you think the lock is for???

Disabling the buttons so that you don't turn it on by accident. It's still drawing energy to keep its memory full of its (albeit basic) OS, and all the parts powered on and ready for instant action. If you ever hard reset your iPod, by draining its battery, or by resetting it if something goes wrong, you will notice that the iPod has to start up, and takes its time starting up while it displays the Apple logo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.