Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
My brothers 360 broke recently, it wasn't a RRoD instead the system just wouldn't recognise games and DVDs. The menu recognised all discs as DVDs but they wouldn't play. So rather than ship it off to Microsoft he jammed a screwdriver in and took it apart. I tried to fix it too but with no luck.

So he bought himself a 360 Elite and I went and ordered an Arcade too and just use his old HDD.

But the problem now is getting his account and downloaded games from his old smaller HDD to the new 120gb one without the aid of a transfer kit. My plan was to use the memory card that comes with the Arcade unit to transfer save/account settings and redownload the XBLA games and expansion packs. The question is does Microsoft let you do this? I'm equating this service to Steam (unlimited downloads so long as you're logged into your account) but I might be hella wrong.

And a little question would be whats all the hoohah about 360 chipsets? And is there a good chance my Arcade will have a good one? FWIW the Elite is 14.2a.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
For save games obviously you have to move them with a memory card.

For downloaded stuff, once a year you are allowed to move your stuff from one console to another. You have to do it somewhere on xbox.com. Then you have to manually redownload what you want. The only exception is movies I believe. Those are pretty much stuck.

License transfer link:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
So you have to log in with your Xbox Live password and stuff? Just my brother forgot is. Gah I knew this would be a lot more complex than what it should be.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
I hope so, but its no skin off my nose. Heck if it doesn't work then I'll get the 120gb and he'll have to stick with the 20gb drive :D
But thanks for the link. It all seems easy enough so long as we can log into my brothers account.

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Well the good news is the games he downloaded on his old Xbox automatically work on the new one without transferring licenses - all except bloody Sonic the Hedgehog. Even rang up Microsoft support to find out why this one game wouldn't work and after 40 minutes of beating around the bush they effectively said "dunno, bye".

But yea once I get my Xbox with a memory card it should be as simple as copying his Live account from the 20gb -> memory card -> 120gb and a whole nights worth of redownloads.

Oh and to make this situation even messier for some reason his Live account and his MSN email account have become detached. On the xbox now anywhere its supposed to say the email address has a blank space and an error message pops up. There's not even a way to enter a new address or sign up with a new account. :mad:

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Well just so y'awl know it took a good few trips between the Xbox's but we finally transferred all the important stuff from the 20gb to the 120gb and low and behold - it works! DLC, XBLA games. Everything works a treat without having to transfer licenses (thankfully!).

And both the Elite and Arcade turned out to be Falcons. Meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.