Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
I was talking to an IT guy from a web development company at a fundraiser over the weekend, and he was telling me that Apple has never actually manufactured their own RAM...and saying even their Apple Memory Cards are truely a third-party card with the Apple name on it.

Is this true?

...If this is true, what company manufactures for them?

CrackBookPro:cool:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Samsung was popular in the past but Hynix is what I see in the majority of systems today.

The components are just the same low bid OEM materials you can get anywhere else.

Foxconn and ASUS usually handle the logic boards and assembly.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yep, standard PC part with Apple packaging, bar codes, and inserted into their parts system.

The memory is just a standard PC part with no changes beyond the sticker on the part, much like the Hard Drive and Optical Drive.

The Asus, Foxconn, etc. logic board components for computers and products are Apple designs.

While their logic board for their computers may be a relatively standard PC design, Apple puts their own twist on the board instead of buying standard PC boards from Asus, Foxconn, etc. Where Apple strays from the standard logic board shape, and opts for some alternate ethernet, wireless, etc. vendors that Nvidia and Intel tend to use for their chipsets.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Virtually no OEM (Apple, Dell, Gateway, IBM, etc) makes their own components.

They receive their parts from Intel/AMD/nVidia/ATi/Samsung/Hynix/Seagate/Western Digital/etc etc etc and build them into a single computer for the consumer market.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
another ?

I usually get Kingston or Mushkin because I trust both companies. All my Macs have upgraded Ram by a third party(except for the iMac which I bought with 4GB(but I guess that point is nullified now))...They work(ed) well, but on my MacBook Uni(Feb 09) I feel my upgrade from 2GB to 4GB of DDR3 really didn't do anything that was drastically noticeable like in my BlackBook upgrade of 2GB to 4GB of DDR2. I mean, I really didn't notice a difference in Flash or video rendering in After Effects on my Uni...The 2GB was just fine in my Uni!

so I have a couple of questions I am pondering about...

Is there a particular RAM manufacturer we should go with for our Macs?

Also, has anyone felt their upgrade in the Uni MacBook was nothing, or minimal at best???

CrackBookPro:cool:

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
Also, has anyone felt their upgrade in the Uni MacBook was nothing, or minimal at best???
While you can never have too much RAM, you won't use what you don't need. I noticed a dramatic difference when running three rather intensive programs.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I just received my crucial sticks (4GB) today for my Macbook Unibody 2.0. It works perfectly, no problems like some have mentioned :D

namefornow

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
What is it a big secret???

I just called the apple store where I recently got the ram in my 15" i7 Macbook Pro upgraded to the max. The old 2GB were given back to me. I noticed the brand was hynix - ECO. I never thought about the brand of ram apple was using so I checked the apple store to see if the same brand was installed this time.

THEN, they said they COULDN'T TELL ME what brand apple uses or what was installed and they are sworn to secrecy.

WHAT THE HELL?????

He wouldn't even level with me and give me an explanation of some sort. Just, no, I'm hanging up.

ANY EXPLANATIONS FOR THAT???

Its seems slightly illegal
:confused::confused::confused:

svenn

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
I just called the apple store where I recently got the ram in my 15" i7 Macbook Pro upgraded to the max. The old 2GB were given back to me. I noticed the brand was hynix - ECO. I never thought about the brand of ram apple was using so I checked the apple store to see if the same brand was installed this time.

THEN, they said they COULDN'T TELL ME what brand apple uses or what was installed and they are sworn to secrecy.

WHAT THE HELL?????

He wouldn't even level with me and give me an explanation of some sort. Just, no, I'm hanging up.

I think you were fed a bit of a story there, but the outcome is the same. Ram is essentially a commodity now, so even if it doesn't have the all-empowering Apple stamp on it, it should work just fine no matter the brand. Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus etc don't make ram either, many probably use the same stick that comes in your mac

altecXP

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2009

WHAT THE HELL?????

You actually paid Apple for a RAM upgrade?

namefornow

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
I have purchased other RAM like Axiom and others a few times over the years and they all have screwed up my system for some reason. So I got tired of paying discounts on off brand RAM that I just threw away in the end.

If I was able to know what RAM they were putting in I would probably have just bought that brand off ebay

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.