Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meddyliol

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2009
My wife has an imac which is only four months old (I have a Macbook). She seems to be having problems with the microphone using Skype in particular. If she records a message using the Skype Test Call facility the sound comes back but very muffled. I know this sounds as if Skype is the problem (and probably is) but is there a way of doing an 'in house' test to check the mic input? She has been told that ichat is better but has no idea of how to use it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian :confused:

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
You could open up GarageBand, get to a blank project (Not Magic GarageBand). And click on the record, say something, and then play-back. This will show if its the Mic or if its Skype.

jasonhavens

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks for that, will have a go.

Brian

I have the same problem. I have a 24-inch iMac that we use often for all kinds of tasks. However, it really seems to be having issues with Skype. I've tried to diagnose with logs and so on, but haven't resolved. I haven't tested the microphone using other applications, though. I guess that I'll try that. It seems a bit absurd to need an external microphone for this. Maybe that's the solution, though, or else an external web cam with its own microphone. Any other suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jason Havens
Destin, FL

fanspeed

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2007
quick time

go to quick time after it opens click file then new audio recording and record your voice than play back if you hear it your mike works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.