Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Jun 19, 2009, 01:54 PM   #1
bretminnehan
macrumors newbie

need advice on picking lcd for around 200-300 usd

hello every one i just ordered a new 15 inch macbook pro for college, going to be a computer engineer, but i was hoping to get an external monitor for some extra real estate. i was hoping for something around 22-24 inches. and i was looking at the dell s2409w but i have heard some mixed reviews.and that is why i have come to you guys. i am hoping for a decent monitor for around 200-300usd. i am mostly going to use it for photo editing(really main reason for buying it) and watching movies, but i will also be surfing the web and writing papers on it, so text needs to be nice and crisp. any help would be great.

thanks a bunch.

bret
bretminnehan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
I have BenQ E2400HD and I've liked it a lot. 24", 1920x1080 (Full HD), DVI, VGA and HDMI input. Costs only 239 (don't know US price) but there's also 22" model with exact same specs for 189
Old Jun 19, 2009, 02:44 PM   #3
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

The best deal going right now IMHO is the Dell 2209wa. This is an e-ips panel with a 178 degree viewing angle and you can pick it up for around $225 shipped.

I did A LOT of shopping around and reading reviews and for the money it is really hard to beat.

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
bretminnehan
macrumors newbie

i am really looking at the 2209wa because i have heard good things about them, photo editing wise, but do you think i will really miss the extra 2 inches of screen space i could possibly pick up with tn 24", like the BenQ E2400HD. that is the internal debate i am currently having. because i really want a monitor i can do quality work on. but i dont want some thing i feel is to small to enjoy watching movies on. i am very tawrn on the issue. any input would be great. thanks
bretminnehan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2009, 04:14 PM   #5
rkdiddy
macrumors 65816

Here is one of the threads I found useful in regards to the 2209wa:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...ghlight=2209wa

Just one thing to keep in mind - your budget of $200-$300 is relatively small for an accurate photo editing monitor. Not trying to be mean - just stating the facts.

I think most people would agree you need an 8-bit IPS based panel for the most accurate color reproduction. These can be extremely pricey - for a 24" you're looking at a minimum of $475+.

For me I picked up (2) 2209wa for that price shipped. I mean how can I complain.

I would suggest you visit your local electronics store just to look at the sizing. Remember to figure out how far you will be away from the monitor. You will read posts on here where people are overwhelmed by the size of a 24" and others that have 2 of them and don't think it's enough. It really boils down to your working environment. Once you figure out what the right size is for you - you can determine which monitor is best in that size.

Cheers.

advertising : design : marketing : print : social media : web - www.risencreative.com
rkdiddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals