Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 20, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Amazon Brings Landscape Mode and Viewing Customizations to 'Kindle for iPhone'

Amazon's Kindle for iPhone [App Store, Free] has been updated to Version 1.1, bringing several important new features to the popular eBook reader. Most notably, Amazon has added support for viewing in landscape orientation and the ability to customize text and background colors. The changes include:

Quote:
* Read in portrait or landscape mode.
* Select alternate background and text colors to improve reading comfort in low light conditions.
* Tap on either side of the screen or flick to turn pages.
* Pinch to zoom images in books.
TechCrunch discusses the changes and includes several screenshots illustrating the text and background color customization options.

Quote:
My favorite thing about the landscape/portrait mode is that while you rotate your iPhone to switch between the two, there’s a lock icon in the lower right hand corner to easily disable this rotation. I wish every app on the iPhone had that, as I cannot stand when things rotate even though I didn’t want them to. The background options of black or sepia along with the standard white is also a nice touch, as it can be hard to read on the white when the screen is fully illuminated.
Article Link: Amazon Brings Landscape Mode and Viewing Customizations to 'Kindle for iPhone'
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
smarch
macrumors member

pinch to zoom!
smarch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 01:53 PM   #3
Flowbee
macrumors 68030

Very nice. I like the Sepia text/background much better than black on white.
Old May 20, 2009, 01:58 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I downloaded this last night and used it and WOW. I love the lock feature in landscape mode as I generally read in bed so the angle that I hold my phone results in the screen rotating against my wishes. I love this thing.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Rojo
macrumors 65816

I want the lock feature for everything now!
I HATE when the iPhone is constantly rotating orientations. I really hope Apple either adds a similar lock feature, or at least allows you to disable rotation.
Rojo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 05:03 PM   #6
Randman
macrumors 65816

I wrote about the new Kindle update this morning for Jacksonville.com.

Really like it. The app just needs two features now. The ability to flick up and down as well as left-right/right-left and Instapaper Pro's text scroll.
Old May 20, 2009, 05:44 PM   #7
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowbee View Post
Very nice. I like the Sepia text/background much better than black on white.
I agree. I may be willing to read a book now on my iphone, but I still wish they would let us buy newspapers
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 06:06 PM   #8
GTDaveMac
macrumors member

I am glad the app has been updated for those that wanted new features, and in that, I am very glad that there is an option to lock the orientation. I won't ever use landscape mode, and I don't want my screen switching back and forth if I am laying down at a weird angle.

However, I have submitted feedback because this lock option is not persistent, and I would really like an option to turn off the new tap to turn pages option. It allows for accidental page turning, where as the flick is a bit more deliberate, and I like that.
GTDaveMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 07:31 PM   #9
NinjaHERO
macrumors 6502a

The lock button is the best thing ever. I hate it when apps turn just because I want to lay on my side and view them. Great move Amazon.
Old May 20, 2009, 07:34 PM   #10
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Excellent! Will have to update. I like that they're pushing the envelope with this app... I do still use it, even though I have a Kindle.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:37 PM   #11
kas23
macrumors 603

Excellent! Everything I was looking forward to. I'll have to re-download this and give it a shot (again).
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 03:12 AM   #12
entropys
macrumors regular

So is this the first feature they have brought over from stanza after they bought it?
Old May 23, 2009, 07:36 PM   #13
PeteLP
macrumors regular

Great Update. There's still one thing I really want

An integrated dictionary (optionally unabridged), giving one click look-up of any word in any book.

That's the one feature of e-reader that I so miss and so want here. I'm surprised I'm the only one mentioning this.

I do assume though that with OS 3.0 they'll make it easy to copy any word which then would be easily pasted into any other dictionary. That would be getting very close.

Pete
PeteLP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 07:41 PM   #14
mkrishnan
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteLP View Post
That's the one feature of e-reader that I so miss and so want here. I'm surprised I'm the only one mentioning this.
It's obviously possible, and not a new idea in readers, since it's a major Kindle feature (on the hardware Kindle). There may be commercial issues with having it be a locally stored dictionary (I'm presuming some small part of the cost of the Kindle bankrolls the copy of the North American Oxford Dictionary that is bundled on it, as some small part of an OS X license does likewise).
Old May 24, 2009, 01:40 PM   #15
PeteLP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrishnan View Post
It's obviously possible, and not a new idea in readers, since it's a major Kindle feature (on the hardware Kindle). There may be commercial issues with having it be a locally stored dictionary (I'm presuming some small part of the cost of the Kindle bankrolls the copy of the North American Oxford Dictionary that is bundled on it, as some small part of an OS X license does likewise).

eReader is designed so that a small dictionary is included for one click lookup (when reading any OTHER book), but any eReader dictionary that you buy can be used as both a straight dictionary and the default dictionary for one click lookup. Such dictionaries are sold in the same way that all ebooks are sold on their site.

I'd happily pay extra for a kindle dictionary. Until that feature is available, eReader will continue to be the first place I look for ebooks.

Of course it IS very nice to have kindle's huge inventory available. When I get the urge to read a particular book, the odds that it's available for the iPhone has gone up by a factor of 4 since we've gotten kindle.

Last edited by PeteLP; May 24, 2009 at 08:01 PM.
PeteLP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 05:52 PM   #16
kas23
macrumors 603

I hope you guys already know about this, but Stanza has a built-in dictionary. You tap and hold over a word to get its definition.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion