Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sojourn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I posted this question a week and a half ago in another thread, but since it didn't get answered, I figured I'd start a new thread to discuss this specific issue.

I'm going to be replacing the internal HDD in my MBP (I have a 160GB currently, and am upgrading to a 320 GB -- I'm very excited!), and I want to clone over both my OS X and Windows XP partitions to the new drive before doing the swap, so that once it's placed in the computer, I can boot up, and go on as if nothing but the size of my HDD had changed.

I have the new 2.5" HDD, and also picked up a 2.5" HDD enclosure to facilitate the clone, and to house my old HDD after the swap, so I can use it as an external. The enclosure is connectable via USB, since any that had FireWire were far more expensive.

My plan was to plug in the new HDD via the external enclosure and format it to HFS+ with Disk Utility. Then, I'd use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone over my current OS X partition. I'd use WinClone to copy over the XP partition.

Since the enclosure is USB, I won't be able to boot off the new HDD to test it, because FireWire is required to use Target Disk Mode, correct? If so, then how can I install the XP partition before installing the HDD in my MBP? Do I need to use the Boot Camp Utility to partition and format the new drive with NTFS? Or can I partition and format using Disk Utility, then create the WinClone image on the HFS+ partition on the new drive, then restore it to the NTFS partition on the new drive with WinClone, all connecting it as an external via USB? Or is there any other way to do this?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your responses!

Take care,
Sojourn

P.S. Also, should I name the new HFS+ partition "Macintosh HD" to prevent filepath problems? Or does it not matter? What will happen when it's swapped into my MBP and used as the boot drive -- will the drive call itself "Macintosh HD" automatically, or will it keep whatever name I've given it?

moiety

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2008
You're a little confused. Macs *CAN* boot from USB disks if they have a valid Mac OS X install on them. They can boot from USB, FireWire, and eSATA, if you have the appropriate ExpressCard adapter and a Core 2 Duo.

FireWire Target Disk Mode is not something you're going to use for the cloning. Target Disk Mode essentially makes your entire computer into a dumb hard drive that you can plug into other computers. So, if you start your MBP in Target Disk Mode, and then connect it to another computer using FireWire, your internal hard drive will mount on the other computer as an external drive. :)

Sojourn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
Huh. I didn't know that about booting from any interface as long as there's an OS X installation on the drive; I thought that was only possible via FireWire. And I guess I was confusing TDM with the ability to boot off of an external drive, in addition to it's actual definition of using of another computer as an external drive. :)

So I can clone my OS X partition over, and boot off of it via USB. Should I do that, then use the Boot Camp utility to partition and format the drive, then boot back into my main HDD, clone over the image of my XP partition, then boot into the new HDD again and restore it? Also, what about the drive naming situation?

Thanks for your response,
Sojourn

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I am about to do exactly the same as you. This is what I have found in my research. You should first use winclone and clone your bootcamp partition onto your os x drive (desktop for example). Then use CCC to clone the OS X partition. Now put the image of OS X on the new drive. Boot to it. Use the restore tab in winclone, it will make a windows partition and then reimage it. Maybe this article will help.

http://www.macworld.com/article/136529/2008/11/backupbootcamp.html

Sojourn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I'm upgrading my HDD because I'm out of space, though; I don't have enough free space to make that image on my current drive. Can I just set WinClone to make the image on the external drive, once I've used CCC to clone over the OS X partition and used the Boot Camp assistant to make an NTFS partition?

Thanks,
Sojourn

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I'm upgrading my HDD because I'm out of space, though; I don't have enough free space to make that image on my current drive. Can I just set WinClone to make the image on the external drive, once I've used CCC to clone over the OS X partition and used the Boot Camp assistant to make an NTFS partition?

Thanks,
Sojourn
Yes. Just winclone the bootcamp partition to an external. CCC the os x. Then when you are up on the new drive just copy the winclone image to the new disk and reimage your bootcamp.

Sojourn

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2007
I was just installing WinClone, and I noticed that ntfsprogs-source.zip is included in the DMG. This article mentions how ntfsprogs is embedded in WinClone's XP image; do I need to open up the ZIP file, copy it into my XP partition, or anything else to get it to work? Why is it in the DMG?

Thanks,
Sojourn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.