Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrbrown669

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I have a Mac computer: operating system OSX10.3.9 (emac G4.1.1)

I just purchased a new 3G iPod Nano and tried to download my songs onto it, this would not work and I was told I needed an operating system OSX10.4.9 or newer.

Is there a solution to this or do I need a new computer?

Thanks for any help.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

I just purchased a new 3G iPod Nano and tried to download my songs onto it, this would not work and I was told I needed an operating system OSX10.4.9 or newer.

Thanks for any help.

Yeah, I dont think it'd work. You need at least a certain version of iTunes to sync the iPod with, otherwise that model won't be recognised, but 10.3, as you've stated, isn't supported by the new versions of iTunes and, as a result, you can't use your iPod with it. You'll have to get access to a computer with OS X 10.4 or 10.5, or Windows XP SP2 or later.

slothrob

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2007
I think you could put 10.4 on your eMac. I have 10.4 on a 1 GHz iBook and it runs fine.

mrazikti1

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
me too help!!

Thanks for any help.

Soemone said something about running mac osx 10.4 on their older mac. how do you do that? i am seriously considering buying a friggen PC!! ahhhh. luckily my brother was able to put some music on my ipod nano but i want to add more and i can't!

mrazikti1

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2010
Soemone said something about running mac osx 10.4 on their older mac. how do you do that? i am seriously considering buying a friggen PC!! ahhhh. luckily my brother was able to put some music on my ipod nano but i want to add more and i can't!

oh and i checked out snow leopard osx 10.6 it says it wont be compatible with my computer bc i don't have an intel processor. i have OSX 10.3.9 Processor: 1.33 GHz Power PC G4 memory 256MB built in. if that helps?

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
I was running the latest 10.5 just fine on a 1.2Ghz (modified) Cube, no problem. If you can get your hands on a DVD of Tiger or Leopard, you should have no problem getting it to run on an eMac. Tiger (10.4) is probably a better choice.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Also you'll want to make sure your Mac has USB-2 ports. Not 100% certain but I don't think iTunes will sync an iPod using USB-1.1. I've got an iMac G3 that won't sync and also an old PowerMac (QS) that will sync just fine now that I added aftermarket USB-2 ports.

Note however that if you were able to locate an older iPod (perhaps a FireWire iPod 2nd/3rd Generation) it would probably sync just fine on any Mac of its same vintage. :apple:

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Also you'll want to make sure your Mac has USB-2 ports. Not 100% certain but I don't think iTunes will sync an iPod using USB-1.1.

Actually not a problem. My Cube had USB 1.1 and it was easily able to charge and sync a Touch (although the syncing was a bit doggy).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.