Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 20, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1
samuraix98
macrumors newbie

InsomniaX vs. Caffeine

Now I'm sure this really doesn't hit the new icon, for which I have found a cute and loving approach to the cat icon.
Kitty Cat Icon

But my real question is, which one of the "keep my mac awake" applications would be most suitable to get. I do a lot of work with an external monitor, and sometimes watch movies thought hate that sadly daunting blue glow from the screen in a dark room.

What's the difference between InsomniaX and Caffeine? Are there any other apps out there that might be even better?

Just wondering, Thanks.
Old May 21, 2009, 01:57 AM   #2
Jim Campbell
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraix98 View Post
What's the difference between InsomniaX and Caffeine? Are there any other apps out there that might be even better?
To be honest, I could never work out whether Caffeine was on or off, and a lot of the time, whichever state I chose for the app, my downloads would be interrupted when I closed the lid (which is my main reason for NOT wanting the laptop to sleep).

InsomniaX, on the other hand, does exactly what it says on the tin. I may just be a bit thick, but I could never get Caffeine to work the way I wanted.

Cheers!

Jim

Last edited by ergdegdeg; May 21, 2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: move cleanup
Jim Campbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 09:59 AM   #3
samuraix98
macrumors newbie

what's with the InsomniaX hibernation mode? Is it some sort of hibernation as in on a windows machine, or does it relate to a different sleeping status.

Also it enables on my machine, thought when i try to disable it I get that super crazy warning message. Should I disable it or just let it run?

Just wondering.
Old May 21, 2009, 10:26 AM   #4
nigameash
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Campbell View Post
To be honest, I could never work out whether Caffeine was on or off, and a lot of the time, whichever state I chose for the app, my downloads would be interrupted when I closed the lid (which is my main reason for NOT wanting the laptop to sleep).

InsomniaX, on the other hand, does exactly what it says on the tin. I may just be a bit thick, but I could never get Caffeine to work the way I wanted.

Cheers!

Jim
caffeine only prevents your display from going to sleep, very helpful while watching movies

insomniax on the other hand, prevents your computer from going to sleep when u close the lid
nigameash is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store