Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
My dad just got a brand new mac mini. I can't wait until this saturday to set it up and show him how to use it.

I want to copy my 20+GB iphoto library over to his mac so that he can start adding pictures to it. Obviously as time goes by, he will have images that I dont have on my MBP and viceversa.

How can I sync both libraries?

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
You can't really sync iPhoto libraries without doing one of two things: copying the entire library from one computer to the other (this is what you'll want to do the first time), and/or exporting the new photos from one library and importing them into the other. Unfortunately, because of the way iPhoto handles IPTC tags (which is to say it doesn't), you'll lose that information using this method.

My solution was to manually tag my photos using an Automator script before importing them into iPhoto. Then I manually manage my library on each of my computers, copying photo files to each one as necessary. It's a PITA, but it works.

If someone else knows of a better solution, I'd love to hear it.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
If you accept that access by both macs is not simultaneous this is what I did:

Have a single iphoto library.

On the mac with less need to use iphoto, I deleted the iphoto library file (in the pictures folder) and replaced this file with a same name file that is an alias to the iphoto library of the other mac.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
If you accept that access by both macs is not simultaneous this is what I did:

Have a single iphoto library.

On the mac with less need to use iphoto, I deleted the iphoto library file (in the pictures folder) and replaced this file with a same name file that is an alias to the iphoto library of the other mac.

Thanks, that would probably work but since I dont live with my parents. I guess that I will have to drag the pictures that I want to my library.

In iphoto you can browse libraries in other macs which is neat but I wish that there was a way to sync them.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
In iphoto you can browse libraries in other macs which is neat but I wish that there was a way to sync them.

You can just drag and drop the photos you want while browsing external libraries. That will copy them to your library.

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Yes this works pretty nice.

I have done it a couple of times to get a few images from my imac at work to my MBP.

This is ok, because I usually need just a few image but with my dad´s mini, I would like for him to have all the new images I may have.

At least I can drag-and-drop between the two macs and that is probably the best way to do it.

Still, it would be great if I could sync images, places and faces.

osprey76

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2004
Oklahoma City, OK
Apps such as iPhoto Library Manager have a "merge" function which will allow users to merge libraries so that both contain the same photos.

I've used this program's merge function with success. I'm glad Apple "closed" the Library from being able to view inside the library. My mom got into her library folder under 10.4 and mucked it up. iPhoto Library Manager did a good job merging her active library and a backup together to get all of her photos in one place again.

It does check for duplicate pictures, so it should work for you. It also makes a copy of each album in a library in the merged one and then checks for duplicate photos. The result is, if the two libraries are similar, the merged library will have a lot of empty duplicate albums. I'm not sure how it does with Events. We were in iPhoto '07 when I used iPhoto Library Manager last.

This would be a great need that Apple could fill with a simple, easy-to-use media server.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.