Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 21, 2009, 04:38 PM   #1
RogueMac
macrumors newbie

Linux web and mail server migration to OS X 10.5 server?

Hey all,
i currently host about 100 domains and a email server for those domains on an older dell poweredge 2650 running Redhat AS that needs replacing. one of my bosses wants to get another dell server and it priced out to be the same as a new Xserve. I would much rather have an Xserve than a dell any day. Would this be an easy migration? would moving web sites from Linux Apache, php, and MySql to Os X server be a problem?

thanks in advance.
RogueMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2009, 05:55 PM   #2
Guiyon
macrumors 6502a

It might be more trouble than it's worth. If you already have the previous RedHat install all configured and you're used to how it's laid out then it's going to be FAR simple just to move your data and configuration files over an a new RH install. If you go with the Mac OS X server you are going to have to get used to a new administration interface and most, if not all, of your existing configuration will either need to be adjusted or just not work at all.
Old May 22, 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiyon View Post
It might be more trouble than it's worth.
Not really. It can be made very simple by first installing Linux on the xserve. If the xserver really does price out lower or equal to the Dell then just buy the Apple hardware and run Linux.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 03:40 PM   #4
RogueMac
macrumors newbie

I'm really wanting to move away from the cmd line environment with the linux box we have now. Although i'm a webmaster now i come from a design back ground so i thought OSX server would be a good route to go.
But i called apple sales today to talk to them about it and they connected me with an engineer. He said osx server would make a great web server and then he asked me how many domains i had. i told him about 100 and he said that the GUI for administering web domains in osx server would start to break down with that many domains but it could be done with cmd line. can anyone confirm this? he said it would be great for about 30-50 domains, but i had to many for 10.5 and that maybe 10.6 snow leopard would address these problems and i should wait.
it seems like they are about to give up on their server business. you can't even find an Xserve on the store home page.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:24 AM   #5
maclover001
Banned

Send a message via AIM to maclover001 Send a message via MSN to maclover001
My hosting company used to use Ubuntu servers until we switched to Leopard Server. I love using Server Admin instead of endless .conf files

I'll warn you that Xserves are a tad noisy though...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	110
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	172234  
maclover001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 04:16 PM   #6
RogueMac
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclover001 View Post
My hosting company used to use Ubuntu servers until we switched to Leopard Server. I love using Server Admin instead of endless .conf files

I'll warn you that Xserves are a tad noisy though...
that looks nice. very mac, just the way i like it.
maclover what do you mean by noisy?
Old May 23, 2009, 04:21 PM   #7
maclover001
Banned

Send a message via AIM to maclover001 Send a message via MSN to maclover001
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMac View Post
that looks nice. very mac, just the way i like it.
maclover what do you mean by noisy?
We use Xserve G5's and a couple PowerMacs.

The G5 Xserves are literally vacuum-cleaner loud. Maybe the Intel's are quieter?

Here's a YouTube video I found when searching "Xserve noise":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCIWTsA64fU
maclover001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2009, 06:16 PM   #8
troy.w.banther
macrumors newbie

Linux web and mail server migration to OS X 10.5 server?

Anyone currently hosting web and-or mail services on a Mac server?

I would like to hear of your experiences.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking