Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
MacObserver has posted a transcript of the April 28th iTunes Conference Call.

The call marked the 1st anniversary for the iTunes Music Store and was hosted by Steve Jobs.

Jobs provides performance numbers for iTunes first year as a music store. Total number of songs available from iTunes now exceeds 700,000 songs across the 5 major labels and over 450 independent labels. Jobs also covers the new features available in iTunes 4.5, which was also released that day.

The question and answer session provides some additional insight into iTunes pricing, burning rights, subscription services and more.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
WOW!

Steve does pay attention doesn't he to the demands of others, he knows about ogg vorbis and he also knows nobody who has even contacted Apple requesting it. That'll shut the geeks up on slashdot!

Plus he rips into the Cnet guy, knowing that Cnet normally do the mocking over Apple and its supposed failures.

Ina Fried: Hi, Steve. Thanks for taking the question. I guess kind of one of the things I'm curious on as what you see as kind of the next inhibitors or the next hurdles to broaden the market for purchase download music. I mean, you guys set a goal of 100 million and it seems like you may have not quite reached that, not because Apple got, you know, pushed out by competition. You guys have dominant market share, but because the market just didn't grow that...as fast. And I'm curious what some of the things are that you guys see as limits to why people don't download music.

Steve Jobs: Well, you know, we think the market is growing really fast. Zero to 70 million in one year, you know, if a year ago anyone had predicted that iTunes would sell 70 million songs during its first year, they would have been laughed out of town. Right? Don't you think? As a matter of fact, you guys would have done a lot of laughing at that.

Steve is just damn ruthless in his answers, even when the guy asked about how much Apple made, his response was well times 70 million by $.99 with a taint of sarcasism.

I'll glad he is on our side, he certainly knows his stuff, not to be messed with!

Trimix

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2003
Switzerland
CrackedButter said:
WOW!

Ina Fried: Hi, Steve. Thanks for taking the question. I guess kind of one of the things I'm curious on as what you see as kind of the next inhibitors or the next hurdles to broaden the market for purchase download music. I mean, you guys set a goal of 100 million and it seems like you may have not quite reached that, not because Apple got, you know, pushed out by competition. You guys have dominant market share, but because the market just didn't grow that...as fast. And I'm curious what some of the things are that you guys see as limits to why people don't download music.

Oh my gawd, can you imagine running APPLE and then having to answer moronic questions like that ? In school we used to beat up the kid that asked questions that were pointless... Ina Fried has not been beaten up enough - who in his right mind is employing such a person ? :D

greg75

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004
CrackedButter said:
Steve does pay attention doesn't he to the demands of others, he knows about ogg vorbis and he also knows nobody who has even contacted Apple requesting it. That'll shut the geeks up on slashdot!
There are people who have requested it using Apple's feedback form. What Steve meant is that nobody he gives a f. about has requested it. Makes Microsoftesque business sense though. There's just no vendor lock in with open formats. Which is why Apple developed yet another proprietary lossless format instead of going with FLAC.

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Posted by Crackedbutter
(Steve does pay attention doesn't he to the demands of others, he knows about ogg vorbis and he also knows nobody who has even contacted Apple requesting it. That'll shut the geeks up on slashdot!)

Umm..... there have been many thread's in Apple's own support forum that requested Ogg Vorbis. There were almost a thousand people who also started a petition on Apple's own forum who requested Ogg Vorbis which I myself supported.

A

AhmedFaisal

Living room devices & there is a 3rd party Ogg Vorbis codec

Its good to read that Apple is in fact talking to manufacturers of livingroom devices for audio, so there is some hope that Roku or some other streaming media player for the home stereo system will receive support for fairplay.
As for Ogg Vorbis, while the iPod has no support for it, iTunes & Quicktime in fact do, there is a very well working 3rd party codec out there.
Regards,

Ahmed

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
How timely

So while MacMinute has a story on OS X 10.4 "Tiger", MacRumors has news from last week! I thought rumors were supposed to happen and then the actual news of the rumors, then the actual said rumor happening or not?

ryanw

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2003
Apple LossLess Compression

I was all excited to convert lots of my stuff to apple lossless compression. I tried it on a few of my aif files just to find out that my iPod (pre dock connector) does not support the lossless files even with the latest updates and stuff. :mad:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
zedwards said:
So while MacMinute has a story on OS X 10.4 "Tiger", MacRumors has news from last week! I thought rumors were supposed to happen and then the actual news of the rumors, then the actual said rumor happening or not?

MR has had numerous stories on 10.4 - maybe it's MacMinute that's behind the times. ;)

This is simply an update to the conference call story from last week now that the full transcript has been made available.

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
zedwards said:

Ok, here's one. iTMS is going to have a gagillion new songs by next Tuesday! w00t!

Baseless rumors, aside, I like reading actual news every now and again.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
YOU KNOW

I thought it was hilarious that the last questioner said "you know" 3 times in her paragraph and Steve threw a "you know" back at her in his very next sentence. I wish I could have heard the STEVE SARCASM on that one. He can be RUTHLESS when he is answering dumb questions. I love it!

greg75

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004
advocate said:
How can a codec library with a BSD license cause vendor lock-in? http://flac.sf.net/
I didn't say it could, but since you're asking: The BSD license doesn't prevent embrace and extend.

Not that it's of any relevance since Apple ISN'T using FLAC.

visor

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
in bed
i like the refrigerator part

i mean the ipos doesnt lack much to be a good refrigerator.
it's got a large storage capacity, and it's cool. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.