Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spellcaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Just curious. My current HP dv6105us runs it OKAY with the 6150 NVIDIA graphics card, but I'm wondering, since the macbook's is way better, how well will it run on the low end aluminum model?

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Fusion will run just fine on the Macbook. My wife runs it on a 2yr old white Macbook 2.16 w/ 2GB of RAM and it flies with XP (Vista is a little slower, but runs fine).

If you're interested, you can virtualize your old HP on your Macbook via VMWare Converter Tool (Free).

If you're going to be doing gaming, I suggest Boot Camp to get the full performance of the machine.

Spellcaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Thanks. I'm not a heavy gamer though. I just play a few online games here and there. Just to be clear, this is on OS X, right? Cuz I really don't want to run windows unless I HAVE to

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Just curious. My current HP dv6105us runs it OKAY with the 6150 NVIDIA graphics card, but I'm wondering, since the macbook's is way better, how well will it run on the low end aluminum model?
Without scouring the internet, I would imagine it would run very well considering that the 9400M is vastly superior to the 6150.

Cancelled
May 21, 2009
Thanks. I'm not a heavy gamer though. I just play a few online games here and there. Just to be clear, this is on OS X, right? Cuz I really don't want to run windows unless I HAVE to

Oh you're fine hardware-wise....they were demoing Need for Speed: Carbon and Call of Duty 4 on Apple's site with the Macbook. Both were Mac versions :)

The only drawback is the game selection is no-where near that of Windows games, so you may want to bootcamp if you want to play Windows-only games. I finally bootcamp'd my MBP w/ an old copy of XP and games fly.

Spellcaster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Oh you're fine hardware-wise....they were demoing Need for Speed: Carbon and Call of Duty 4 on Apple's site with the Macbook. Both were Mac versions :)

The only drawback is the game selection is no-where near that of Windows games, so you may want to bootcamp if you want to play Windows-only games. I finally bootcamp'd my MBP w/ an old copy of XP and games fly.

Thanks :). I get my macbook in 2 weeks, so I'm really glad you could answer a few of my questions.

secondfox

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
I can testify that VMWare Fusion works fine on my 1st gen MacBook. So, things can only go better for you with a new one. I have XP, and it runs good. I've had Ubuntu on it, and that runs ok as well.

If you want to try a free VM alongside a Fusion demo (before you buy), try VirtualBox. I probably would have just used that if it had been out when I first needed a VM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.