Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I've got a ton of Illustrator AIs with bleeds, with the bleeds extending past the document size. When I import them into photoshop the bleed disappears. How can I import them into Photoshop (need PSDs) with the bleeds?

RickDeckard

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
My first thought is the simplest answer, make your .ai document size larger. However, we can't answer the question without some more info.

What is your workflow, how are you getting the files into Photoshop? Are the Photoshop files the same size as the Illustrator files? If so, then the bleeds may still be there, just outside the document size. Make your .psd canvas larger and they should show up.

If thats not it, I wonder if Photoshop is importing them as .pdf's. When you save an Illustrator file as a .pdf, it crops the file at the artboard size.

Just curious, why do you need to get an .ai file into Photoshop? Do you need to edit the file in Photoshop? I wonder because, if you don't do any editing then you could import the .ai file as a smart object. That will keep the vector info intact, and you could resize it without losing resolution. You could also run filters (I believe), and adjustment layers on it just like a regular layer.

covisio

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
UK
I've got a ton of Illustrator AIs with bleeds, with the bleeds extending past the document size. When I import them into photoshop the bleed disappears. How can I import them into Photoshop (need PSDs) with the bleeds?
This doesn't work with Illustrator format files. You need to:
  • Save out Illustrator files as PDF files with bleed.
  • Open PS.
  • File>Open.
  • Navigate to PDF.
  • In dialogue box, upper right hand corner you have the ability to Crop To: Bounding Box (default), or Media Box, Crop Box, Bleed Box, Trim Box, Art Box.
  • Choose Bleed Box.
  • Job done.
Alternatively you can place create a PS document to the size you want, then place the PDF as a smart object (File>Place), again choosing Bleed Box as the crop size.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I'll try it using smart objects. My programmer needs PSD files, but they were built using Illustrator. The bleeds just extend past the bounding box, if that makes sense.

smurfjammer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
Does your Illustrator file with bleed the same size as your photoshop document? Or did create a new Photoshop document based on the file before the bleed was added.
Edit: try moving the file round within Photoshop frame, is there any image/colour outside the frame edge.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Try making your blank PhotoShop document large enough to accommodate the bleed and Place the Illustrator file. Then save it as a PSD.

Watch out for your fonts.

Dale

Wait. If the bleeds run past the bounding box, then they will not be part of the file anyway. Pull the .ai bounding box out to show the bleed first. You may need to draw a new rectangle with no fill or stroke to expand the area without stretching anything. Group it all to make it seem bigger and include your bleed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.