Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

John Gruber of Daring Fireball posted weighs in with his sources about what the upcoming iPhone revision will entail. His list of details corresponds closely with many of the circulating rumors.

Gruber believes the next iPhone processor will indeed be a "next generation" processor that will be disproportionately faster than clock speed alone would have you believe. Indeed, we've heard that the next iPhone will use the Cortex processor.
Let’s say the rumors are right — and I believe they are — that the next-generation iPhone’s CPU will be running at 600 MHz. In the same way that, say, a 90 MHz Pentium was more than 1.5 times as fast as a 60 MHz 486, the 600 MHz CPU in the next iPhone will be more than 1.5 times as fast as the current 400 MHz iPhone CPU.
Along with an additional 128MB ram (256MB total), this should result in faster app launches, faster web browsing, and overall performance. Storage will, of course, increase to a max of 32GB also in-line with rumors.

On case design, he suggests that the new cases changes will be subtle and retain the current iPhone's form factor. Circulating rumors of a magnetometer and video editing are also believed to be true:
What the new iPhone’s video capabilities might lack in terms of image and sound quality will be made up for by two things: convenience and software. Convenience in that the best camera is the one you have with you, and if you’ve always got your iPhone, you’ve always got a camera; software in that iPhone OS 3.0 is set to include basic video editing (think: selecting just the good parts) and uploading features that regular cameras, which aren’t computers and which aren’t networked, just can’t match.
Other interesting tidbits include:

- Minor laptop refresh with branding change calling all aluminum-based notebooks "MacBook Pros" and leaving "MacBook" for the plastic units
- "Heard things" about an iPhone mini 3/4 the size of existing iPhones but not necessarily at WWDC.

While much of what Gruber reports has been circulating for the past few weeks, he is known to have had accurate sources in the past. Apple is widely expected to announce the new iPhone at WWDC which takes place from June 8-12th in San Francisco.

Article Link: 32GB 600Mhz Video-Capable Next Gen iPhone? MacBook Pro Rebranding?

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
Interesting (the bit about the rebranding). If it happens, I would hope they add back in the black macbook. I can't stand the white ones for some reason. That said, I think Apple should stick with the branding they have now --and I think they will decide to.

And of course, a faster iPhone with more storoage capacity is always great news. I sure hope it becomes true!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If they called them MacBook Pros, would that leave space for the tablet to fit in the MacBook naming? MacBook Touch might not be the best. Does the white MacBook have a future?

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
I wouldn't doubt Gruber, but the whole "MacBook vs. MacBook Pro" thing seems off.

Apple needs to dump the plastic MacBook entirely. While bringing down the prices of the aluminum MacBooks.

Yet you still need a consumer line and a pro line. Hence, MacBook and MacBook Pro. I can't see this changing.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
If this means, the 13" alu MacBook "Pro" will have a better panel, Firewire and an ExpressCard slot (maybe they can gain the required space by using a non-removable battery) at the same price point, then I am all for it :eek: And if not... I really do not care what they name it.

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
I always thought it would make sense to drop the price (drastically) on the MBA and make the MBA the low cost budget line and drop the macbooks

applefan69

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2007
I always thought it would make sense to drop the price (drastically) on the MBA and make the MBA the low cost budget line and drop the macbooks

th MBA is expensive for a reason you know??

they cnt just drastically drop its price, ultra-portable laptops are generally expensive due to the fact it takes some rather advanced technology to make them that small and keep usability high.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I hope the macbook refresh is correct. I really want to buy a new macbook but I don't want to wait until September (which is likely when they'll be upgraded if this is false)

Also, those iPhone specs are spot on. Wait and see people.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I can see a plastic Macbook-$799 Macbook Touch $999 Macbook Pro's starting at $1199.

Makes sense to make room for a "tablet". But I don't know why Apple would stay with plastic.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I hope they make the new iPhone have a matte back, or slightly rubberized for grip with a lightup Apple. :) I hope they consider those "subtle changes".

I think the matte black will definitely happen. The light up apple would be a nice touch, especially if it could be a flash too! Doubtful but hopeful on that one.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
If they call the Aluminium MB a MBP they better get rid of the TN display. The 13” IPS in the MBA would work fine. :D

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
That rebranding, quite honestly, sounds absolutely stupid. The current MacBooks, aluminum or not, are not 'pro' machines. It can even be argued that the current MacBook Pro isn't even a 'pro' machine. Stupid, stupid decision on Apple's part if true.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
If they call the Aluminium MB a MBP they better get rid of the TN display. The 13” IPS in the MBA would work fine. :D

TN Display?

It seems as though any macbook purchased within the past month or so has a completely different display than the original ones and it is vastly superior: comparable quality to the Pro's

...there's a thread about it

update: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/694320/

"Man, I have to say that these new screens look to be way better than the old ones. The black levels look really black. The black color also seems to be perfectly event across the screen, which seem to highlight the fact that these newer screens have got very good viewing angles."

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Very very interesting about the rebranding. I find this rather hard to believe, but I wonder if that'll mean a dedicated GPU for the 13" MacBook Pro.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I am definitely calling BS on the re-branding. The "Pro" machines are Pro because they have discreet video cards, meaning more powerful. Without giving the MB's the same, calling them "Pro" is misleading. And don't start on the whole "9400M is really powerful"; it is not discreet, it will never match the power. Sorry.
Without a major re-working of the notebook lineup (doubtful), I doubt that such a move would make sense. What separates the poly and the alum. MB's then? What makes the alum. MB's "Pro"? DDR3 RAM? The option of af backlit keys? No, the machines are VERY similar, and being aluminum does not make a machine "Pro". So ya, BS on the name change. I don't care about the guy's credibility.

As for the iPhone stuff, well, cool, we have all been pretty certain that it will see a significant bump, so cool. I do wonder about what affect this will have on the App Store? Applications that will be made for a chip "more than 1.5x more powerful" certainly won't work well on the 2/3G iPhones... So I imagine there will be some initial confusion regarding just what will work with what :rolleyes:

applevx

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2009
That rebranding, quite honestly, sounds absolutely stupid. The current MacBooks, aluminum or not, are not 'pro' machines. It can even be argued that the current MacBook Pro isn't even a 'pro' machine. Stupid, stupid decision on Apple's part if true.

Sorry dude, but what is the 'Pro' machine in your mind? :D

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
TN Display?

It seems as though any macbook purchased within the past month or so has a completely different display than the original ones and it is vastly superior: comparable quality to the Pro's

...there's a thread about it

I can’t find it, do you have a link?

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
I am definitely calling BS on the re-branding. The "Pro" machines are Pro because they have discreet video cards, meaning more powerful. Without giving the MB's the same, calling them "Pro" is misleading. And don't start on the whole "9400M is really powerful"; it is not discreet, it will never match the power. Sorry.
Without a major re-working of the notebook lineup (doubtful), I doubt that such a move would make sense. What separates the poly and the alum. MB's then? What makes the alum. MB's "Pro"? DDR3 RAM? The option of af backlit keys? No, the machines are VERY similar, and being aluminum does not make a machine "Pro". So ya, BS on the name change. I don't care about the guy's credibility.

As for the iPhone stuff, well, cool, we have all been pretty certain that it will see a significant bump, so cool. I do wonder about what affect this will have on the App Store? Applications that will be made for a chip "more than 1.5x more powerful" certainly won't work well on the 2/3G iPhones... So I imagine there will be some initial confusion regarding just what will work with what :rolleyes:

Agreed with the rebranding being doubtful.

App developers will just have to put a note saying taht the app will not perform as well on older iPhones. This is bound to happen, it's the nature of technology.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
I thought about the rebranding, and I definitely think its going to happen. 4 products with the same tag line, might get confusing, although the iPod's can pull it off, but they've always been distinctively different (design, features, etc.). With the MacBook's, have an Air, Pro, 'Touch' and 'Regular' could be confusing for some people, especially those first time buyers.

Also, anyone doubting that Apple would rebrand the MacBook Pro, see iBook vs Powerbook. I could see Apple going back to something like this, but I doubt it'll be the Powerbook again.

illegallydead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2007
Colorado!!!
I could agree with some of the pricing models people have suggested. However, I must say with some force that Apple cannot (well, I guess should not) call the current MB's "pro". They really would need some sort of differentiation. I am all for a 13"-15"-17" MBP lineup, but they should all have common specs. 15" being better 13" w/o a different "brand" would make heads explode, lol :p

Agreed with the rebranding being doubtful.

App developers will just have to put a note saying taht the app will not perform as well on older iPhones. This is bound to happen, it's the nature of technology.

Lol yes I imagine that is it, probably will allow you to sort as to what is compatible with what and all. I still see some folks getting all up in arms about it though. A phone/marketplace that actually evolves is downright brand new for the cell phone market. People expect it to happen with computers; however, the phone market may have different "expectations". I'm not agreeing with it, just saying it might happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.