Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old May 22, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
lapino
macrumors regular

How to setup external monitor (only) ?

I just tried connecting my MBP to my 22" Samsung monitor. Works fine, but I seem to find no way to turn off the lcd of the macbook, nor how I can keep it from going to sleep when closing it.

I want to use my external monitor only, I might keep the MBP open to help cooling, but I want the external monitor to be the main display (right now, the dock is on the internal lcd and not on the external monitor)
lapino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Tallest Skil
Banned

Plug in monitor, external keyboard, mouse, power. Close MacBook Pro. Press key on keyboard. Voila.
Tallest Skil is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

Do you have an external keyboard and mouse? If yes, you can just plug those in and wake the computer while its closed and just use the external monitor.

But if you don't, do what I did. Close the macbook while it's connected to your monitor, and then wake it somehow, either with an external mouse, or plug something into the USB. Then it will wake and the external monitor will display, and then you can now open your macbook and the screen will stay asleep.

Hope that helps

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro