Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old May 22, 2009, 12:03 PM   #1
2Sticky
macrumors regular

Adobe Indesign to Single Page PDF's

Is it possible to export an InDesign Doc to single pages PDF's in one go, or do I need to export it as a PDF and then save it into individual single page PDF's with Adobe Acrobat Pro?
2Sticky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 12:06 PM   #2
adrianblaine
macrumors 65816

I'm not familiar with the latest versions of InDesign (I use CS2 primarily) but it would probably be easiest to save them as individual PDF's in Acrobat after the fact. It adds another step, but it's a very easy step that isn't too time consuming.
Old May 22, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
arkitect
macrumors 68040

While exporting you can specify the page range… So theoretically you could, but it would be better to split it in Acrobat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	206
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	172125  
arkitect is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 01:15 PM   #4
neutrino23
macrumors 65816

You could probably write an AppleScript that would first ask the number of pages then go through a loop exporting page by page into a folder.
neutrino23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 01:48 PM   #5
CortexRock
macrumors 6502

Am I right in thinking that the OP has been asked to supply a multi-page document as single files for some sort of automatic imposition workflow?

This used to happen to me with a magazine I worked on - I found the only way to generate PDF-X1a compliant single page files was to create each one individually from InDesign. Going through Acrobat and splitting the file into pages actually breaks the PDF-X compliance, which will throw up an error when the files get pre-flighted.
CortexRock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6
2Sticky
macrumors regular

I need to send a monthly newsletter/mag to the printers, its 32 pages. They want the pages as single PDF pages/files.

So when I export from InDesign its just one PDF file with all the pages, so do I split it up in Acrobat, or is there another way?
Old May 22, 2009, 03:57 PM   #7
CortexRock
macrumors 6502

Here's an InDesign script plug-in that allows a multi-page document to be exported as single PDFs as you need... I haven't tried it, but it's recommended on this video podcast (starts talking about it half way through the movie).

I believe you have to download the script file from the first link above, then import it into InDesign before it can be used.

That would seem to answer your question - good luck!
CortexRock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2009, 05:37 PM   #8
Designer Dale
macrumors 68040

Works for Me...

Thanks. I just gave this a run and it works fine. The movie link was very helpful.

Thanks again.
Dale
Old May 22, 2009, 07:49 PM   #9
irishgrizzly
macrumors 65816

What would be really useful would be the ability to store the name of each page eg Contents, Page 1, etc or A4 poster, A3 poster, DL card etc. so that these become the filename after export. At the moment I use the extract function in Acrobat which quickly products single pages from a PDF, but I'll have to rename them for my and the clients sake.
irishgrizzly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2009, 11:18 AM   #10
2Sticky
macrumors regular

Hey guys, thanks for your help.

I managed to find a script for InDesign which will do it, so shall give that a go.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:59 PM   #11
OldCrow
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitect View Post
While exporting you can specify the page range… So theoretically you could, but it would be better to split it in Acrobat.
I so needed this info thanks have been looking all over for a solution!!!
OldCrow is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics