Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Wow. I think that was real. But if it is, I have two problems with it...
1. Is this going to be it's own separate app? Or is it part of the iTunes Mobile Music Store? It doesn't look like it's part of the music store.
2. Who is really going to download a TV show or movie on their phone? I have know doubt that if this feature is in the 3.0 software you will only be able to download over WiFi. And it'd take hours to download a movie. If this streams the video to your phone over WiFi and the cellular network, then I'd be fine. But if not, this feature is kind of useless.

jmann

macrumors 604
2. If this streams the video to your phone over WiFi and the cellular network, then I'd be fine. But if not, this feature is kind of useless.

It would be nice if they let you stream it, and download it at the same time in a torrent-like matter. So that way if your connection or your phone died in the middle of a large file it could resume from where it left off.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
It would be nice if they let you stream it, and download it at the same time in a torrent-like matter. So that way if your connection or your phone died in the middle of a large file it could resume from where it left off.

That's the way it works on the Mac version of the iTunes store right now, so I don't know why it wouldn't be like that.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Wow. I think that was real. But if it is, I have two problems with it...
1. Is this going to be it's own separate app? Or is it part of the iTunes Mobile Music Store? It doesn't look like it's part of the music store.
2. Who is really going to download a TV show or movie on their phone? I have know doubt that if this feature is in the 3.0 software you will only be able to download over WiFi. And it'd take hours to download a movie. If this streams the video to your phone over WiFi and the cellular network, then I'd be fine. But if not, this feature is kind of useless.

Well I use the movies on my iPhone for one - WHen i'm at my old PC, which can't show it without stuttering, I can simply transfer to the iphone and watch wherever I want.

Bear in mind that this could very well link to the possibility that with a new dock, iPhone could much more easily video out to a HDTV. So apart from iPhone gaming on the big screen, you could stream your video to a TV.
So you could use your phone as a way to transport the film to a friends house. Bring the phone, dock, cable, then watch when you want.

Over 802.11n and a decent wifi it wouldn't take hours to download a movie. Plus if you can be downloading whilst streaming the movie that would cut time down too.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I am sure that it will have to be on WIFI. If that is the case I don't see how practical it would be unless you let it sit overnight or something. One second thought, it might be practical if you were traveling and didn't bring your laptop along but wanted to download a movie or TV show for a flight the next day. That would be pretty nice.

I think Apple is slowly moving towards an iPhone that can do everything independent of syncing to a computer. Maybe it is a good idea after all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.