Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Jun 2, 2009, 12:12 PM   #51
thebassoonist
macrumors 6502a

How long did installation take?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:25 PM   #52
rawrmac
macrumors newbie

I don't know much about computers, and i'm worried it will slow down my macbook. i have a aluminum macbook with a 2.4GHz processor and 4GB of memory. Will it run well?
rawrmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:33 PM   #53
peepboon
macrumors 6502

installation is easy and quick!

Also, it doesn't slow ur laptop down. a 2.4GHZ with 4GB will run it smoothly.

It does however slow your system down after u quit the game due to the way macbook dedicates the ram, etc etc etc a quick restart or a 2-4min wait will smooth things back to normal
peepboon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 07:56 PM   #54
Buskape
macrumors 6502

Game runs fine here at native resolution 1280x800, 4gigs of ram
Old Jun 2, 2009, 08:26 PM   #55
Peikko
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
OCZ or Crucial
Kind of off-topic, but still - Don't know about Crucial, but I've had two friends rage on OCZ for shipping shot RAM in a box. In case anyone's on the fence to go with one or the other and looking for some info.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:17 AM   #56
theARNSKI
macrumors regular

I'm running off 2gigs of ram and it does fairly well. Very playable. But I am considering doing a ram upgrade to 4gigs once the paycheck rolls in.
theARNSKI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:17 AM   #57
SilentGreg
macrumors member

Somewhat off topic -- what do you guys and gals think of the game? I skipped over The Sims 2 as I didn't have the time nor money to start a new collection after The Sims. The Sims 3 looks very promising; thoughts?

I would be playing on a Windows PC, my MacBook is too old to run The Sims 3. (Original Core Duo)
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:28 AM   #58
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentGreg View Post
Somewhat off topic -- what do you guys and gals think of the game? I skipped over The Sims 2 as I didn't have the time nor money to start a new collection after The Sims. The Sims 3 looks very promising; thoughts?

I would be playing on a Windows PC, my MacBook is too old to run The Sims 3. (Original Core Duo)
It's a very interesting game. I love the no loading screens, and the graphics do look nice when boosted up to full (Although you do lose a little bit of performance - I find it lags ever so slightly on my Macbook (see specs in sig)). In fact, you've made me want to play it now! DAMN YOU! I have revision to do!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:41 PM   #59
teksurv
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristangage View Post
It's a very interesting game. I love the no loading screens, and the graphics do look nice when boosted up to full (Although you do lose a little bit of performance - I find it lags ever so slightly on my Macbook (see specs in sig)). In fact, you've made me want to play it now! DAMN YOU! I have revision to do!

This may seem like a silly question, but I noticed you have the same Nvidia Whitebook that I do. Do your fans run full blast when playing Sims 3? Mine do (Mac version), and that's the only real issue I have otherwise great game!
teksurv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:39 PM   #60
twinings
macrumors newbie

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled-i View Post
sorry to be a pain - am new here, just wondered how the X3100 videocard was holding up for the graphics as other users seem to have the unibody with nvidea graphics cards...

(2.1 GHz white macbook, 120GB HD, X3100 video card and currently only 1GB RAM)
Same here! I was wondering if anyone had a macbook with the X1300 and the shop version of the Sims 3? My specs are:
2.4 GHz
Intel 2 Core Duo processor
250GB Hard Drive
4GB RAM
800 MHz
Integrated Intel X1300 with 144MB VRAM

(It's a White, not an aluminium Macbook)

I suppose my main question was how fast would the game be with these specs? I don't mind about graphics at all, so long as the game itself doesn't 'lag' or stutter. Also, is the RAM or the video card more important for this?

Thanks so much for your help!
twinings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:34 PM   #61
Buskape
macrumors 6502

Wink

A video of the sims 3 on the unibody macbook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFc3w4b7ohU
Old Jun 5, 2009, 08:44 AM   #62
pepitko
macrumors member

I've installed Sims 3 on my MacBook Pro two days ago, and the game is running quite slow, for my taste.

My specs: Aluminum MacBook Pro, Core2Duo @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB HDD, GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB VRAM.

I run the game at medium settings and at 1440x900, same as my Mac. The game lags quite badly especially when there's too much lighting (night) or when there are many sims around (parties, downtown). Do you think it's worth upgrading to 4GB RAM? Or is the VRAM too much of a drag?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:05 AM   #63
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by teksurv View Post
This may seem like a silly question, but I noticed you have the same Nvidia Whitebook that I do. Do your fans run full blast when playing Sims 3? Mine do (Mac version), and that's the only real issue I have otherwise great game!
Yep, fans are always belting out noise. Tbh, I usually stop listening to them, so it's alright for me.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:32 AM   #64
peepboon
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepitko View Post
I've installed Sims 3 on my MacBook Pro two days ago, and the game is running quite slow, for my taste.

My specs: Aluminum MacBook Pro, Core2Duo @ 2.2 GHz, 2GB 667 MHz RAM, 160 GB HDD, GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB VRAM.

I run the game at medium settings and at 1440x900, same as my Mac. The game lags quite badly especially when there's too much lighting (night) or when there are many sims around (parties, downtown). Do you think it's worth upgrading to 4GB RAM? Or is the VRAM too much of a drag?
I turned all the settings up high with the highest res mine could take 1680x1050. The lag IMO isn't that bad :S - I'm not a heavy gamer so maybe I don't mind the odd little lag? :S
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:17 PM   #65
guymarble
macrumors member

Does anyone else's game crash continuously?

After about an hour the game just closes and goes back to the desktop with no message or anything, which is really annoying since I don't get a chance to save and all my progress.

I am playing it on my Mac Pro and have 2GB's of RAM, would upgrading to 4GB help, or is it a common problem?
guymarble is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:39 PM   #66
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepboon View Post
I turned all the settings up high with the highest res mine could take 1680x1050. The lag IMO isn't that bad :S - I'm not a heavy gamer so maybe I don't mind the odd little lag? :S
Same here man, I don't even use ddr3 ram with the nVidia chip and it runs surprisingly well at full blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymarble View Post
Does anyone else's game crash continuously?

After about an hour the game just closes and goes back to the desktop with no message or anything, which is really annoying since I don't get a chance to save and all my progress.

I am playing it on my Mac Pro and have 2GB's of RAM, would upgrading to 4GB help, or is it a common problem?
Not crashed once for me... Confusing, since you have one of the most powerful Macs ever
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:19 PM   #67
sexynsas
macrumors newbie

sims 3 wont work on my mac book

hey how did u get it to work on urs?

it said it installed sucessfully then says it needs an rmb right hand mouse.. i dont understand lol
sexynsas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:32 PM   #68
rawrmac
macrumors newbie

Could I install the sims 3 on an external hard drive?
rawrmac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2009, 08:15 AM   #69
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrmac View Post
Could I install the sims 3 on an external hard drive?
Yes, that's what I did. It creates a folder called Applications and puts it in there.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:26 AM   #70
peepboon
macrumors 6502

U dont really need a RHM as u can always just use the trackpad and keyboard controls.

Also, mine has never crashed O.o
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:19 PM   #71
sbibbo
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
the sims 3 runs awesomely on my aluminum macbook with 4gb ram, i love that game!

Hi, I recently installed 4GB RAM to my macbook pro (2007) (originally 2GB) that has over half space left (67GB) on HD, 2.2 GHz intel core 2 duo processor and Sims3 still runs incredibly SLOW! Am I doing something wrong?
sbibbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2009, 10:19 AM   #72
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbibbo View Post
Hi, I recently installed 4GB RAM to my macbook pro (2007) (originally 2GB) that has over half space left (67GB) on HD, 2.2 GHz intel core 2 duo processor and Sims3 still runs incredibly SLOW! Am I doing something wrong?
Hmm that's odd. Tried cranking down the graphics?
Old Jun 11, 2009, 07:19 PM   #73
egk69
macrumors 6502

Hi i want to know if theres any way to minimize the game so i can quickly check other things on my macbook (email, etc etc)

Cause its annoying to close the game every time i want to check something on my macbook and then have to open the game again and wait for the loadings, etc etc

iPhone 4S 64GB
egk69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 01:16 AM   #74
MrM
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by egk69 View Post
Hi i want to know if theres any way to minimize the game so i can quickly check other things on my macbook (email, etc etc)

Cause its annoying to close the game every time i want to check something on my macbook and then have to open the game again and wait for the loadings, etc etc
Pause it. Then press Command and Tab.
MrM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2009, 05:21 AM   #75
andalusia
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by egk69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Pause it. Then press Command and Tab.
Also a good idea to do Command-Enter to make it not full screen first (:

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook