Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lyssalou89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2009
Will the Sims 3 run efficiently on the aluminum Macbook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo? I have 2GB of stock RAM, what kind of RAM would you suggest using to upgrade it to 4 GB? Thank you!

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I upgrading using crucial :D

I think the sims will run ok, not at FULL settings, prob the lowest if you want it to run smoothly.

BTW, anyone else read that Sims 3 has been leaked? Not just the windows version, also the Mac version was leaked

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
I've used only Crucial brand memory to upgrade my Macs over the years have have had nothing but positive experiences with them. As peepboon mentioned, the Sims should run on your system, but it won't be pretty. Even with the memory upgrade. The CPU and GPUs in our Macbooks just aren't powerful enough to run a game like that smoothly on the highest settings.

Barbie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
ocean
The Sims 3 runs beautifully on my solid-state MacBook Air, rev. 2, so your MacBook won't have any problems whatsoever !!!

Barbie :)

Barbie

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
ocean
What are the specs of your Macbook? :)

A 1.86Ghz Core 2 Duo processor with double the cache of a unibody MacBook (6MB), 2GB of memory and the 128gigabyte really speedy solid-state drive.

Sims 3 is gonna play very well on MacBook.

Barbie.

bchreng

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
You guys realize that he's talking about the Sims 3 and not Sims 2 right? How are you guys playing part 3 when it's not due out in stores for at least another week? :confused:

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
You guys realize that he's talking about the Sims 3 and not Sims 2 right? How are you guys playing part 3 when it's not due out in stores for at least another week? :confused:

oh yeah, we know exactly what he's talking about.

cl0wnzee

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2009
Would they be a difference between Sims 3 on a unibody macbook (2.0GHz) with 2GB or 4GB RAM?

Thank you,
-Val

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Would they be a difference between Sims 3 on a unibody macbook (2.0GHz) with 2GB or 4GB RAM?

Thank you,
-Val

absolutely, definitely upgrade to 4gb. its so inexpensive now that you should really do it anyway, there's no reason not to.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007

Thank you,
-Val

CPU probably will not make a difference. RAM probably will though. Two will run it four will run it better.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
from what I can tell when I play:

Firstly, I am using: 2GHZ Unibody Macbook with 4GB ram. Stock harddrive.

- The quality is mostly set to medium. Haven't tried turning it up higher yet as the game auto sets it up to the best settings ur computer can handle.

- The game runs smooth at the settings they provide.

- The quality is ok, nothing compared to what I have seen on the adverts with everything set to high.

- I haven't had any problems with what some people seem to have like stuck login screens, not able to install, visual problems, etc

- I think the screen res it sets it to is 1024x7XX (Not entirely sure)

- Loading and saving takes forever like all previous versions

- It is a nightmare to control the camera angles with the mighty mouse... u will have to enable edge screen scrolling if thats what your used to. I use a combination of mouse/keyboard. The ball controls the zoom and its too sensitive. When pressed in, it controls tilt for left/right up/down and this is wayyy to sensitive as well. Use the keyboard for these imo.

- Cheats so far are the same as Sims 2, lol

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
Against forums rules to post link, sorry...

I've always wondered this - would it still violate rules if you posted a link to a Google search page on with the link requested, if the link on that Google page is illegal?

Also, is the download in question the Mac and Windows version?

RiCEADDiCTBOY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
just pm the op with the link if need be...however, mininova.org is always a good resource for anything.

peepboon

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2008
I've always wondered this - would it still violate rules if you posted a link to a Google search page on with the link requested, if the link on that Google page is illegal?

Also, is the download in question the Mac and Windows version?

Its not against the rules if you PM people and ask. Just against the rules to post on for the public, etc.

Also, Mac/Windows uses the same version.

Hope that helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.