Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 23, 2009, 01:11 AM   #1
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Can you have other files on the hard drive with Time Machine backups?

I was just wondering if the big ol' hard drive that I use for Time Machine backups, if I can store other files on there also or can it only hold Time Machine backups?
Imola Ghost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 01:13 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

Yes, you can use it like any ordinary hard drive. Keep an eye on the free space though.
Old May 23, 2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Thanks, that's what I thought but I wanted to make sure! I'm new to Mac's [7-8 days] and have plenty of stupid question.

Thanks for not making fun of me!
Old May 23, 2009, 02:41 AM   #4
MacManiac76
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to MacManiac76 Send a message via MSN to MacManiac76 Send a message via Yahoo to MacManiac76 Send a message via Skype™ to MacManiac76
Oh we made fun of you...just silently...or through omission

btw...welcome to the club
MacManiac76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 03:44 AM   #5
JCastro
macrumors 6502a

That is exactly how I use mine. It works like a charm. You do have to watch the free space though. It fills up fast. I don't know if there is a way to delete portions of your backups files and just keep the most current ones. I just deleted all of them and started the backup process again. Pain in the tail, but it worked.

If anyone knows a better way, please let us know.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:03 AM   #6
Imola Ghost
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCastro View Post
That is exactly how I use mine. It works like a charm. You do have to watch the free space though. It fills up fast. I don't know if there is a way to delete portions of your backups files and just keep the most current ones. I just deleted all of them and started the backup process again. Pain in the tail, but it worked.

If anyone knows a better way, please let us know.

I was just coming back here to ask this particular question. I'd like to know if/how you can just get rid of some of the older backups. If someone knows I'd love to know.

BTW, I love having a Mac and what I like the most about it is that things just seem to work without a lot of configuring.
Old May 23, 2009, 04:12 AM   #7
gr8tfly
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola Ghost View Post
I was just coming back here to ask this particular question. I'd like to know if/how you can just get rid of some of the older backups. If someone knows I'd love to know.

BTW, I love having a Mac and what I like the most about it is that things just seem to work without a lot of configuring.
The first question is answered by the last sentence. "It just works".

Unless you need the extra space (which will eventually be used by Time Machine anyway), you should just let Time Machine handle removing old backups. It'll do it automatically when it runs out of space.

Otherwise, you can get rid of old or unwanted backups by launching Time Machine. Then, go back in time to where you want to remove the backup. Select the file/folder, then use the "tool" menu (the one with the "gear" on it) to either remove the selected backup or all backups of that item (past and future).

If there's something you never want backed up, go to System Preferences > Time Machine. Click on "options" and add the item to the "excluded" list. Time Machine will remove it from current backups, as well as never backing it up in the future.
Old May 23, 2009, 06:48 AM   #8
arjen92
macrumors 65816

Time machine automatically deletes some back-ups. The most recent ones are in hours, but the more you go back in time, the more time there's between back-ups.
Old May 23, 2009, 07:22 AM   #9
leodavinci0
macrumors 6502

partition the drive

If you partition the drive, TM will only be able to use the space you give it. After it reaches the limit it will start erasing old stuff. Meanwhile you will have the second partition available with the same amount of space always.
leodavinci0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 02:41 PM   #10
mrdctaylor
macrumors member

Yes, I ran into the same thing. For me, it was a desire to use the same drive for an Aperture vault backup. I ended up partitioning the drive to give 500GB to Time Machine and 200GB to use for the Aperture vault and other files. Works like a charm and no manual intervention will be needed. It is easily done from the disk utility, but it WILL delete your files when it repartitions.
mrdctaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2009, 04:24 PM   #11
matthewscott661
macrumors 6502

I agree, partitioning is the best and easiest way to go. It's essentially like having two hard drives in one.
matthewscott661 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X