Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old May 23, 2009, 06:17 AM   #1
tongteh
macrumors 6502

External Harddrive issue.. 4GB limits from FAT 32

guys.. i have a file that's 8GB.

In Windows everytime when i transfer that file to a FAT32 external hard drive it gives me an error saying unable to copy that file because it's too large (external HDD have 180GB free space). I did some search finding that when NTFS transfer files to FAT32 it will have a limit of 4GB.

so my questions is, what can i do?? I deliberately format my HDD into a FAT32 so that both my mac and windows could use that HDD, but now i find that it's impossible for me to transfer a single file that is larger than 4GB. The external HDD came in with NTFS but wasn't readable by my macbook.

What's my option?? is there any solution where mac os x could read NTFS?? or any other alternatives?

thank you very much
tongteh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 06:19 AM   #2
ergdegdeg
Moderator emeritus

You could install MacFuse on your Mac and thus read and write an NTFS-formatted USB drive.
ergdegdeg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 06:23 AM   #3
macblogsk
macrumors newbie

You can also format it as HFS+ (Mac OS X "native", supports big files) and then use a software to read it in Windows.

I recommend HFSExplorer. It also works in 64 bit Windows. It's free, you can get it here:

http://hem.bredband.net/catacombae/index2.html

It does not have write capability though. MediaFour Macdrive does, but it's not free.

Boot Camp in Snow Leopard will support HFS+ drives in Windows, BTW. Macrumors story:
http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/06/...ndows-drivers/
macblogsk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 06:25 AM   #4
spinnerlys

MacFuse and NTFS-3G together is a good and free solution to give Mac OS X write capabilities for NTFS formatted volumes.

But Mac OS X is able to at least read NTFS formatted drives from the start, without the help of a third party software, it just can't write to it with an extra solution like ergdegdeg mentioned.
spinnerlys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009, 07:23 AM   #5
tongteh
macrumors 6502

alright, i have installed macfuse, is it done straight after i have install it or there is more to it? i wasn't given too much info on their website. sorry and thanks for the suggestion.
Old May 23, 2009, 08:42 AM   #6
spinnerlys

Have you only installed MacFuse, or have you also installed the NTFS-3G driver?

As I understand, MacFuse only enables Mac OS X to write to different filesystems with the help of drivers, and the NTFS-3G driver is needed to write specifically to NTFS volumes.
Old May 23, 2009, 09:56 AM   #7
tongteh
macrumors 6502

just the MacFuse application, i will download the NTFS-3G right away then.. so after installing NTFS-3G and that's it?? after that, everytime i connect a NTFS HDD it would be writable and readable?
Old May 23, 2009, 10:30 AM   #8
spinnerlys

Maybe a restart is required, but yes, then you can write to NTFS formatted drives.
Reading is already enabled without MacFuse and NTFS-3G drivers through Mac OS X.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X