Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Good luck with it DoNoHarm :). We've got a similar exam here in Australia except that it's not computer based. It turns out to be quite a fun day. Especially if you are well prepared. Even more so in retrospect if you do well enough for med school acceptance ;).

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
i actually have a friend in UWA who's telling me to go to Australia for medical school. Do you know if anyone from the USA does that? Would I be able to apply with just my MCATS?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
i actually have a friend in UWA who's telling me to go to Australia for medical school. Do you know if anyone from the USA does that?
I know quite a few people from the US and Canadia that have done this. Some of them are really nice ;). WA would be really nice.

Would I be able to apply with just my MCATS?
I'm not sure. You'd have to check with the testing organisation (gamsat.edu.au.) You might have to do our test (GAMSAT). I'm not sure if they do a reciprocal agreement with MCAT results :eek:.

edit: just checked and you might be OK with just MCAT depending on the university. You should check out WA if that's where you are interested in going :).

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
I know quite a few people from the US and Canadia that have done this. Some of them are really nice ;). WA would be really nice.

I'm not sure. You'd have to check with the testing organisation (gamsat.edu.au.) You might have to do our test (GAMSAT). I'm not sure if they do a reciprocal agreement with MCAT results :eek:.

edit: just checked and you might be OK with just MCAT depending on the university. You should check out WA if that's where you are interested in going :).

So you're telling me medical schools in Australia only look at MCAT scores for North American students? They disregard your academic record, work experience, extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, interviews, etc.?

What?

I better do well on this thing. :p My academic record & other things are strong but I've never taken Physics before (studying it now on my own while I do psych research and work), so I'm scared.

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
So you're telling me medical schools in Australia only look at MCAT scores for North American students? They disregard your academic record, work experience, extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, interviews, etc.?

What?

I better do well on this thing. :p My academic record & other things are strong but I've never taken Physics before (studying it now on my own while I do psych research and work), so I'm scared.

I think he's saying that just like here, every school has their own method to their maddness. Some schools may look at an MCAT percentile instead of the Australian equivalent. I don't think those schools will disregard your academic record, work experience, extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, interviews, etc. however....

JazzOne

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2004
I've been teaching MCAT review courses for about five years now. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I recommend you get on the studentdoctor.net forums if you're serious about your test prep. Good luck! Nice reference to Hippocrates BTW.

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
Ah, the MCAT. Seems like so long ago now.

Do many practice problems. It always helps.

Good luck! It isn't as bad as it seems like it is before you take it. Afterwords, it is the biggest relief in the world to have it over and done with.

Best wishes!

DoNoHarm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Maine
thanks i'm taking kaplan right now and the quizzes are kicking my butt. i'm getting 50-70% on them. I guess that's how you learn though....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.