Anyone still have an IE7 Friendly Site? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Aug 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Anyone still have an IE7 Friendly Site?

Just wondering if anyone still makes their website IE7 Friendly?

Was looking through Theme Forest at Wordpress themes and most seem to have dropped support for IE7. It only seems a few months ago that Microsoft was trying to get people away from IE6.

I know our computers at work are still running IE7, but are locked down so only IT have the power to update anything

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this?
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
jsm4182
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to jsm4182
My company dropped support for IE7 a few months ago. According to some of the browser statistics sources we check and google analytics on our sites IE7 usage is below 1%. We decided the extra work to make our sites work in IE7 was not worth it for that small of a share of users.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:29 PM   #3
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular

Totally depends on your target market. At my job we still have to support IE 7 fully - and it has to at least be relatively useable on IE 6. Ick.

That's how it is though - if you run a site that has a lot of older people using it they tend to be on older browsers.

On our sites IE 7 is still about 7% of the users, IE 6 is 2%. Not a lot - but they also tend to purchase items at a far higher rate than other users... for whatever reason. So it makes sense in our case to keep things at least useable on these older browsers.
thekingofnerds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:24 AM   #4
fig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofnerds View Post
Totally depends on your target market. At my job we still have to support IE 7 fully - and it has to at least be relatively useable on IE 6. Ick.

That's how it is though - if you run a site that has a lot of older people using it they tend to be on older browsers.

On our sites IE 7 is still about 7% of the users, IE 6 is 2%. Not a lot - but they also tend to purchase items at a far higher rate than other users... for whatever reason. So it makes sense in our case to keep things at least useable on these older browsers.
Yup, we're the same way.

I work for a marketing firm that specializes in commercial real estate, and tons of our clients work for big commercial real estate brokers that are stuck on older browsers.

I get people upgraded to Firefox or Chrome when I can, but trying to get things working in IE7 is a major pain at times. At least it's better than IE6
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
thekingofnerds
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
At least it's better than IE6
Yeah, been wanting to dump it, but IE 6 users alone almost cover my salary - so it's hard to convince the powers that be when they see the dollar signs still

At least I hacked together a nice little PHP/JS toolkit to help detect the browser and modify what features/scripts get included based on the versions. This helps tremendously with some of the...errr.. differences... between IE 6/7 and everyone else.
thekingofnerds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 03:47 PM   #6
keysofanxiety
macrumors 6502a

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I can't speak for myself, but I know Toshiba's Weblord site is optimised for IE 7. You still have to run the damn thing in compatibility mode when you open it in IE 9, and it just plain doesn't work on other browsers.

Toshiba: Leading Innovation.

Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #7
That-Guy
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the feedback! Guess I will have to struggle on with IE7 for a little longer
That-Guy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
960design
macrumors 6502a

Dang! When did IE7 come out 2006 or so?

We have been optimizing code for IE10 since 2011. We display a simple overlay letting people with less than IE8 know that they should really update to a safer ( more recent ) browser or to try a different browser, providing links for them to easily comply.
Old Aug 28, 2013, 09:39 AM   #9
grizfan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
Thanks for the feedback! Guess I will have to struggle on with IE7 for a little longer
Check your web analytics, you very well could be wasting your time. Some sites have audiences stuck on older Microsoft browsers, but if that isn't the case for you, feel free to abandon IE7. The site I manage sees over 2 million visitors a month, but less than 1% in IE7. IE8 is around 7% and declining quickly. IE8 is our corporate browser, but that doesn't represent what the vast majority of our customers use, and it is far more important to optimize for our customers.

Our mobile use is growing quickly and far exceeds IE7 and IE8 visitors, so it is far more important for us to focus our limited resources on optimizing in that direction than to support outdated browsers.

Remember, IE11 is in beta...
grizfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2013, 07:20 AM   #10
m00min
macrumors 6502

I've relegated IE7 to the "you'll get a functional site" bucket along with IE6 and feature phones. Depending on the design that'll be either a site without the refined extras or a bog basic mobile view. But I'd agree with the other posters, you need to check your stats and base your decision off them.

Personally, I can't wait until next April, I'm gonna throw a massive "Good riddance XP" party. By definition this'll mean goodbye IE7 and below. Shame we can't include IE8 but I'll take what I can get.
Old Aug 29, 2013, 12:43 PM   #11
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

Government sites still give support for ie7. Personally, I don't support anything below ie8 anymore.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development