Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old May 24, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1
chiggins1066
macrumors newbie

Can I do this on Mac XServe?

I would like to implement an Mac OS X Server (Xserve) to handle remote VPN clients (including iPhones, if that is possible) and to also act as a Proxy server for internal clients.

Is there a commercial version of proxy software that will work for the newest edition of Mac OSX Server? I have heard people mention the open-source Squid--does it work on the newest OS? Is it a nightmare to configure (after trying to get Open WebMail running on an Ubuntu box I wanted to jump out a window).
chiggins1066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 03:15 PM   #2
kamochan
macrumors newbie

Since you mention squid, I presume that you specifically need a http proxy. (You can proxy other stuff, too, so just saying "proxy" is ambiguous :-)

The Apache server bundled with OS X Server has a proxy mode. In Server Admin, select Web -> Settings -> Proxy, check "Enable Forward Proxy", hit Save - and you're done. (You probably also need to restart the Web service.)

If you want to use squid instead, google "squid os x". There is a standalone installer, instructions on how to install it via MacPorts, and more.
kamochan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 08:51 PM   #3
chiggins1066
macrumors newbie

Does the Apache server come basically "up and running" in the Mac OSX Server? Or do I need to do extensive configuration (unpacking, making, configuring, etc.)?
chiggins1066 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking