Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Avizzv92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2008
I have been wanting to learn a language in-depth for a while, at my school I have taken a Computer Apps class the dabbled in C++, and Visual Basic. Next year I'm going to be taking two full classes on C++ and Java, these classes are pretty much basic introduction too the two languages though the JAVA is a AP class.

With summer coming it gives me some free time to start learning Objective-C and I was looking at these two books...

I was going to go through the Objective-C one first then follow it with the iPhone SDK book.

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Objective-C-2-0-Developers-Library/dp/0321566157/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPh...ng-SDK/dp/1430216263/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I have read reviews and did research and they appear to be a good place to start. I'm not fluent in any other languages, I only have basic experience with C++... So would you guys think these two book would be a good place to start?

Sorry if you get these kinds of posts a lot.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I've just bought both of those books. I'm totally new to programming, and have only started to read the iPhone book so far. I'm finding it very clear for a novice.
Not touched the Kochan book yet. Interestingly, the US Amazon reviews of it are a lot better than the UK Amazon reviews for some reason. Lots of people on here have recommended it, so that's why I got it.

skochan

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2006
California
Interestingly, the US Amazon reviews of it are a lot better than the UK Amazon reviews for some reason.

You know how tough the Brits can be! (That's a joke--I love England and spent two months working in London last year).

Seriously, most of the comments are about the typos and were justified--the quality control was not good at all (and I share some responsibility there). Most should be gone and reflected in the printing you get. Remember to visit the forum for the book for support, errata, answers, to exercises, etc.

Good luck!

Steve Kochan

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
Steve Kochan

Aha! That could explain the volume of recommendations and good reviews I've read in these forums :p

I'm looking forward to getting into the guts of your book. I'm sure I'll be posting on your book's forum pages with all sorts of inane newbie questions!

Once I've had a read (I've just looked and I've got the second edition) I'll put my own review up on Amazon UK.

jbcandkc

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2006
Another positive review of Programming in Objective-C 2.0

I am a programming novice (learned Applesoft Basic back in the 80s, a little Applescript here and there.) I bought Programming in Objective-C 2.0 a few weeks ago at Amazon and I am on Chapter 6 now. I feel this book is really teaching me Objective-C; it has the right mix of text, sample code and exercises to make sure you understand the material.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.