Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3paulx

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Hi heres the dilemma, i hope sum1 can help. Im not too knowledgeable with the tech stuff on itunes hehe

My iphone is now linked to my PC iTunes but i wanna get rid of the PC and I want to transfer everything including the itunes account (if there's such thing) to my Macbook iTunes w/c by the way, doesn't have an account yet. How do i do this?
Thanks a lot people, I hope someone can answer ASAP bec i just sold my PC to my friend who will be leaving the country in 24 hrs. Whew!

Cheers!

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Here's to hoping that you have all purchased media on your iPhone...

If it's all purchased stuff, first thing is to authorize the Mac by entering your AppleID (usually an email address) from the Strore menu. When you connect the iPhone it'll say something about already being synced with another library, and offer choices to Erase & Sync or Transfer Purchases. You want the Transfer option. Once complete, all of the purchased music/videos you had on the iPhone will be copied over onto the Mac's hard drive.

If you have a mix, you'll need to use TouchCopy as Senuti does not work for the iPod touch or the iPhone.

If you still have the PC in hand, grab a cheap external hard drive and pull over the iTunes folder inside of My Music (assuming you consolidated your library) or the directory where you keep your mp3s onto the drive. If the drive is formatted FAT32 (as most external drives are default) you can just hook the drive up to the Mac and pull the folder into the Music folder of your Mac. Then launch iTunes with the option key held down, and point it at the iTunes folder you just copied over.

3paulx

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Here's to hoping that you have all purchased media on your iPhone...

If it's all purchased stuff, first thing is to authorize the Mac by entering your AppleID (usually an email address) from the Strore menu. When you connect the iPhone it'll say something about already being synced with another library, and offer choices to Erase & Sync or Transfer Purchases. You want the Transfer option. Once complete, all of the purchased music/videos you had on the iPhone will be copied over onto the Mac's hard drive.

If you have a mix, you'll need to use TouchCopy as Senuti does not work for the iPod touch or the iPhone.

If you still have the PC in hand, grab a cheap external hard drive and pull over the iTunes folder inside of My Music (assuming you consolidated your library) or the directory where you keep your mp3s onto the drive. If the drive is formatted FAT32 (as most external drives are default) you can just hook the drive up to the Mac and pull the folder into the Music folder of your Mac. Then launch iTunes with the option key held down, and point it at the iTunes folder you just copied over.

I dont have purchased apps/music in my itunes. do i still need to get Touchcopy?

thanks!

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Yeah, if it's all ripped music, i.e. stuff from CDs or from other sources :) you will have to use something other than iTunes since those will not be transferred over in iTunes.

JCastro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
The easiest way that I found was to get an external hard drive and copy everything in side of the iTunes folder on your PC. Then go to your Mac and delete everything in side of that iTunes folder. Then copy everything from the external into the iTunes folder on the Mac. When you open iTunes it will read everything like it has always been there. I still had all my playlists, cover art, the number of times it was played and the last time it was played. I was surprised at how easy it was. I have done that on two Macs without a problem. Hope it works for you. Good Luck.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You can simply copy the "iTunes" folder from the PC to the Mac. That's it.

If both computers are on the same network then share the PC's disk and then drag the iTunes folder over with the mouse. It you don't have a network you can use an external disk drive.

About accounts, Computers don't have accounts, people have accounts. Your account will continue to work when you change computers

GovtLawyer

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2008
I did it

I posted a similar message as you did, several months ago. Search for it and the threads.

Essentially, since ALL of my music was my own ripped cds, I just copied it all a hard drive. I downloaded it to my new Mac, opened iTunes, told it to find the music (copied it to the music folder in my Mac) and plugged in my iPod.

It was quite simple, albeit a bit time consuming (over 3000 songs).

Be aware, that iTunes will not read your music in WMA form, only the MP3s. New stuff should be ripped in AAC or MP3.

Regardless of how well it turns out, if your whole music library is on an external drive, nothing can be lost and all will eventually turn out OK.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.